Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entropay - is this a fake e-mail?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

I registered with Entropay last week, and loaded £15 then £10 onto it.
    Last night I booked a flight with Ryanair and paid for it with Entropay, and the balance on my Entropay statement changed accordingly.

But, this morning I got this e-mail.

[Dear Sir/Madam,

As a result of our account monitoring procedure, we see that your account has reached a point where we are required to request additional validation in line current money laundering regulations.

We apologise for this interruption, and will handle it as quickly as possible.

We have temporarily restricted your account in accordance with EntroPay's User Agreement, and you may be unable to use certain account features until we have completed this additional validation.

To complete validation quickly, we ask you to send us the following documents.

1.) A clear copy of both sides of your personal credit card - blanking out the middle 8 digits of the card number, and the 3 digit Card Security Code (CVV/CVV2) number on the back.
    2.) A copy of your identity card, driving license, or passport.
    3.) A landline contact number where we can reach you for verification purposes in the unlikely event that we need to.

You can either fax the documents to +44 (0)207 099 8916 or you may prefer to scan and email the documents to us at documentsverification@entropay.com

Please note that these documents are retained in a secure environment, and are only accessible to senior security personnel.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes but we trust that you appreciate the importance of maintaining appropriate security standards for our customer's accounts.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Regards,

EntroPay Security]

I don't know if it's genuine. I'm wondering if anybody on Boards who registered with Entropay ever got an e-mail like this?

It starts with Dear Sir/Madam, while all their other correspondance started with my name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I got an email asking me to provide that before I could even activate and load my card. I double checked that it was genuine via the contact us on the website before doing it though. That was over a year ago and I've never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Got same email today,should i send the info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Got same email today,should i send the info?

Only if you want to continue using Entropay.

Thanks mate i think i will pass.Scanner not working anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

i did this before without problems. i just took a photo of credit card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I would say it sounds very dodgy, but that said haven't used it before.

https://secure2.entropay.com/common/unprot/popups/faq.do

EntroPay will NEVER ask you for your password in an email. Also make sure that when you type your password in, the address in your browser starts with https://

Phishing is the nickname for an email scam in which the sender forges an email to look as if it is sent from a legitimate company or financial institution. These fraudulent emails often ask that you reply with personal or account information or they may link you to a phony site that asks you to submit such information. Recent scams have also included attachments and contained instructions for downloading files or installing software. If you receive an email that appears to be from EntroPay but looks suspicious in any way, DO NOT respond, provide information or open any attachments. Instead please immediately notify our Customer Support. We may ask you to provide some information about the email, such as the sender's address, subject line or any attachment names.

Ye they wanted passport,credit card and a bank statement scanned and sent to them.No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Even if it was genuine, that's pretty bad security practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

surley a company like that when emailing you would use your real name mr/ms/mrs etc rather than sir/madam,
    i get mails supposedly from paypal and ebay i know that if they use the sir/madam line they are a SCAM !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ye they wanted passport,credit card and a bank statement scanned and sent to them.No chance.
    blubloblu wrote: »
    Even if it was genuine, that's pretty bad security practice.

It's very common security practice, and you'd be glad of it if someone stole your credit card and used it without the company making sure it was you. It's mainly to protect the retailer though, as online retailers have no way to verify the cardholder is the one making the purchase. Signature or PIN verification is not possible online, and retailers take a large hit from any fraudulent purchases.

For money transfer, like Paypal and Entropay, there are EU laws that require them to verify a users identity, in this manner, when the receive more than €1,000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement