Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving license in america??

Options
  • 07-08-2009 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

just wondering can anyone tell me is my irish license valid to use in america for 2 weeks?? is it valid for me to drive an automatic car???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

hi everyone,

just wondering can anyone tell me is my irish license valid to use in america for 2 weeks?? is it valid for me to drive an automatic car???
    im not completely sure but as far as im aware if you send away your irsih driving license you can get an international driving liscense.Your current license only covers you for countries within the EU.I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

hi everyone,

No worries there.I used mine to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas in '05.Enjoy yourself when your over there...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

great thank you for replying so quickly! im off in a couple of days so i hope it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

that is assuming of course that its a full licence and not a provisional.;);)

Enjoy your trip - I did something similar in 2007 (except I ended out with a kidney stone ....was hospitalised and on medication so couldnt drive for the remainder of my 2 weeks)

you dont need to get an automatic while you are over there - unless of course you want to.

OH. TIP !!! .... when choosing a car if you ask for the smallest you get offered what we could consider a medium size car here.... I said something in the middle range and ended out with a 15foot long car (which was brill to drive even if it was huuuuge).... they claimed they didnt have anything smaller when I saw it first and wanted to change.

yup its a full one! haha well i hope ive a happier ending to my trip!! thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my holiday was pretty cool - despite the kidney stone - just meant that I flew to different cities instead of driving.

in 3 weeks: New York, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Tijuana(Mexico) and Montreal (Canada)

Ps. if you goto San Fran...... Helicopter tour under the golden gate bridge is sweet and pre-book Alcatraz at night (definately not to be missed)

thanks for the advice :D unfortunately no night tours available for when im there but i think the day tour will be pretty good too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Americans don't distinguish between 'automatic' and 'manual' on the license. The test is a 'rules of the road' deal, more than a 'handling and familiarity' deal.

By default, any car you rent will be an automatic, unless you get a speciality car. Too many Americans don't know how to drive a normal transmission. (SFO's Hertz might do you a good deal on the Shelby convertibles they have there, if you're over 25. Seriously cool looking car)

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you get pulled over by a traffic cop, things to keep in mind, should you try to talk your way out of a ticket (which I've done more than once*):
    • Be polite, smile, and don't challenge them
    • If your radio or CD is playing, turn them off
    • Keep both hands on top of the wheel where they can see them when they are walking up to talk to you (this relaxes them, especially at night)
    • I also have my driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration in my hands to where they can see them as they approach (Irish license and car rental agreement in your case). This makes you appear very cooperative.
    • Mention that you are from Ireland and hope to keep within the different rules of the road while in the USA. If they are thinking about citing you, ask for suggestions on how you can improve (before he starts writing the ticket).
    • If they hesitate before writing the ticket, take that opportunity to ask for a warning rather than a ticket.
    • I'm friendly, but don't make a joke unless they make one first.

*Got these suggestions from a CHP (California Highway Patrol officer) while chatting over java in a coffeehouse, and they've worked for me... and I tend to have a heavy foot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As another who has been pulled over a couple of times for the occasional traffic infringement, but gotten out of tickets all the time.
    Be polite, smile, and don't challenge them

Agreed. (See Chris Rock video on Youtube: "How not to get your ass beat by police")
    If your radio or CD is playing, turn them off

Agreed. (See above-mentioned Chris Rock video on Youtube: "How not to get your ass beat by police")
    Keep both hands on top of the wheel where they can see them when they are walking up to talk to you (this relaxes them, especially at night)

Agreed. Interestingly, this is a generational change. It used to be polite to exit the vehicle and meet the officer half-way. Some older cops, particularly in rural areas are still very comfortable with this concept, especially if they know the person they've pulled over. However, and this is a sign of the times, unless you're wearing almost nothing it's likely to make them a tad nervous. I would also immediately roll down both windows to avoid having to make the officer knock. If you know the policy of the department which pulled you over, just roll down the appropriate one. For example, CHP will approach the passenger's side. NHP comes to the driver's side.
    I also have my driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration in my hands to where they can see them as they approach (Irish license and car rental agreement in your case).

Disagree, in this case, unless you have such documents routinely kept in plain view. Scrabbling about in the glove compartment or under seats before the officer can see what exactly you're doing is going to put an officer on edge, and violates the rule mentioned above of keeping your hands on the wheel.
    Mention that you are from Ireland and hope to keep within the different rules of the road while in the USA

Depends on the offence. If you were done for doing 75mph just after passing the big white sign saying "Speed limit: 55," I don't think the claim that the different rules of the road confused you is going to hold much water.
    . If they are thinking about citing you, ask for suggestions on how you can improve (before he starts writing the ticket). If they hesitate before writing the ticket, take that opportunity to ask for a warning rather than a ticket.

The critical bit here is -just- before writing the ticket. Once he's whipped out the paper and pen. Too early, and you may get one out of bloody-mindedness. After he's put pen to paper, it's too late. However, I've never gotten to that point, things have usually worked out nicely before then.
    I'm friendly, but don't make a joke unless they make one first.

Agreed.

On related traffic stop notes, you also have a number of rights. For example, the officer may ask if you mind if he searches the vehicle. He's not saying "I'm going to search your vehicle" in a polite manner, as might be the case in Ireland. They really do need your permission to search the vehicle unless they have seen (or smelled) something to indicate that you are doing something illegal which may require them to take a further look. As long as there's no bongs or bottles or something on display in the car, you should be good. If you say "Yes, I mind", then the ball is in his court on how to proceed. You cannot get in trouble for that. Similarly, once the business for which you were pulled over has been completed (eg he's written you the ticket and handed it to you) you may ask "Am I free to go?" At that point, if he has no legal cause to delay you any further, he must send you on your way.

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement