Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving family from Dublin to Shercock

• 07-08-2009 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of country living so thinking of moving to outside Shercock.

I was wondering is there much happening for boys under 10 in the Shercock area: what sports are available etc.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

You could try Bailieborough - 5-6 miles up the road. GAA club, leisure centre, schools etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I dont know too much about what to do in shercock but my uncle was bank manager there about 10 years ago and i gotta say,the chip shop called Sean's (sillian fries) is a great take away. Im jealous!!!! :D

But there is loads of things in Balieborough for kids i think. My cousins live there now and she has kids aging from 2 - 8. If you like i could ask if she knows of any football or something.

What would the kids be interested in????

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

sillian fries rocks! nicest chipper around. I give it a bell when in kingscourt and collect on the way home

They have a good running club http://homepage.eircom.net/~shercockac/
    My cousin who competes at national and european level is a member there.

Good Fishing can be found all around shercock. Also lough sillian is great for water sports.

cootehill which is only 10mins away is also a good market town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hi there,

IMO there is loads for your son to do in Shercock. Theres GAA, soccer, beavers, cub scouts and athletics, there could be more I don't know. Then if you drive 10 mins your in Bailieboro you've a leisure centre if your son is into swimming.

Shercock is a lovely town, and I'd have to say very welcoming. Are you thinking of moving to the countryside around Shercock or the town itself??

Hi there,

IMO there is loads for your son to do in Shercock. Theres GAA, soccer, beavers, cub scouts and athletics, there could be more I don't know. Then if you drive 10 mins your in Bailieboro you've a leisure centre if your son is into swimming.

Shercock is a lovely town, and I'd have to say very welcoming and friendly. Are you thinking of moving to the countryside around Shercock or the town itself??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi there,

Shercock is a lovely town, and I'd have to say very welcoming and friendly. Are you thinking of moving to the countryside around Shercock or the town itself??
    Well said, there is loads of stuff to do in Shercock and it is a great place to live. You'll find plenty of stuff to do if you're young. Plenty of sports. There is water sports too on Lough Sillan if we get some good weather on a weekend, there are loads of fishing lakes around too (7 or 8 in total I think). The athletics facilities are some of the best in the country, there is also a pitch and putt course right beside it.

For adults, there are plenty of pubs around with Burns' being the best of all of those and as someone has already said Sillan Fries (Sean's to the locals) is one of the best chippers around.

People are the most welcoming you'll find in the country. Take a look around, see what you think...

Have to laugh how everyone mentions Seans (Sillian Fries)!!! :P

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ha! True enough. But it is a huge attraction to alot of people outside of the town. Crazy how far people come to just something out of it some weekends!

The thoughts of it has my mouth watering as we speak! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

Some nights the Garda will drive over from Bailieboro to Sean's mid week for a feed, know people who will also come from Castleblayney for there fix, was in ther Friday evening, he has a new blackboard/ chalk menu up over the counter instead of the old plastic one, also says on the menu: est 1989, 20 years he must have been young enough when he set up on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Is there still a stink from that chicken factory on Lough Sillan?**.

** aka Swan Lake. There was a stink when I was a poverty stricken student thumbing home from Dundalk RTC (now IT) back in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Am on the move alright, and with my mobile net access I'm back online after a wee break. Thanks to all for your replies!

Moving to a new house a couple miles just outside the town dlambirl.

Spotted the GAA facilities and have been to the town itself a few times for a 'drive by' lol.
    Great to hear theres a great chippers !!

Whats the Chinese takeaway like? I spotted it at the petrol station on the Carrick rd.

Oh and I'd like to ask the same question as Gadjodilo about the stink, an uncle of mine who lived in Carrick years back mentioned it to me the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Dunno what the chinese is like but there is a great chinese just over in Bailieborough. Its across from the garda station. Also there is a big new Tesco in Bailieborough thats after being built so you wont have too far to get the family shopping! Congrats on the move :)

Congrats!!

Yeah the chinese at the Emo filling station is grand! There is also lovely chinese takeaway in Cootehill (the yellow one) and carrickmacross and the great thing is that because shercock is slap bang in the middle of 4 other big towns - your food wouldnt be cold by the time you get home!!

Yes there is GAA facilities on the Kingscourt Road, Athletics & Soccer Facilities behind the national school. There is a big celebration of GAA in the town in the middle of september, you should come along for the laugh.

Yes i remember the stink from the chicken factory coming in the cootehill road, but havent smelt it in a long time.

There is a small supermarket in the town but for a bigger shop with more variety you can go to super valu in kingscourt, bailieboro, cootehill or carrickmacross. There is also a big tesco in bailieboro and remember you arent that far from the border so you can pop across for cheap booze & shopping if you wish ;)

If you need any more info on anything... give us a shout
    If ya need to know

Advertisement