Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline just activated do i have to go to eircom

Options
  • 07-08-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I phoned eircom and they activated my landline and issued me with a phone number. I havent signed any paperwork or contract and i dont have an account number, but the phone line is active (Dial tone and i can receive incoming calls). Now do i have to start of with eircom now or can i move straight to another BB provider, Like vodafone (As they are 10e a month cheaper than eircom for a 3mb package)??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have to get the account number, they will try to say they can't give it to you but tell them you need it for setting up a direct debit and then run as fast as you can to another provider, you might have to wait a bit for hte line to show in the BB database as BB capable.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Got my phone line activated about a year and a half ago once activated the first call I made was to BT to switch. All they need are your account details which as mentioned can be gotten from Eircom. Just tell them you want them and if they ask tell them your switching cause thats what I told them they tried to get me to stay but I just said BT were offering phone and BB at X euro can you match it they'll say no, cause thats what they told me, and I said fine thats why I'm switching. W

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

so as i havent signed anything im not tied to eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Nope only if you take out one of there packages then your tied to them getting a phoneline on it's own doesnt lock you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

snaps wrote: »
    so as i havent signed anything im not tied to eircom?

Doesn't matter if you sign anything or not, contracts can be verbal as well as written. What matters is there is no minimum period that you have to stay with eircom on a new phone line, it would be anti-competitive. There is if you sign up to call bundles or broadband though.

• Advertisement

right, great news, so i may well sign up for vodafone home then as they seem to be 40€ compared to 50.11€ eircom?

Id be looking for at least 3mb BB, a decent download limit (20gb+), off peak calls to Ireland, NI & UK (Not to important as i can use VOIP). Any suggestions for a provider?

UTV's download limit not great
    BT, seems more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

How in the jesus do I get eircom to tell me my account number?

I'm waiting over a week for them to send it out to me, they won't tell over the phone, i've tried saying its for a direct debit, anything else I can do?

They wont tell you. Within 10 days you will get a credit agreement through the post. It will contain your Eircom account number on it.

Do not sign anything with Eircom that you get through the post otherwise you may be tied to a 12 month contract.

I wasan Eircom customer for 10 days (I got my credit agreement throught the post last week, signed up to Vodafone home and now am a Vodafone home customer, which was set up in a few days)

Yesterday i got a final bill from Eircom for 6.13e!

Im just waiting for my Broadband now to be sorted by Vodafone.

Thanks snaps.

They're slow enough at getting the info out to you, but sharp enough when it comes to charging you for it!

I may have missed it, but what vodafone package you going for, and how much?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UTV's download limit not great

UTV offer an unlimited option for approx 5e extra per month,

• Advertisement

Yesterday i got a final bill from Eircom for 6.13e!

I just got a bill from Eircom for 52.50!

Cheeky!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm in a similar position here myself. I want broadband (gaming and internet use) but no phone line, as I live in Clare my options look limited.

House is new and therefore pre-wired by eircom.

Line is not activated and I want to get broadband but avoid paying for any calls packages/line rental.

Few questions:
    Will I have to pay Eircom to activate the line? (no real problem doing this, if its a once off)
    What I need next is my account number yes?
    Snaps what did you do specifically to get the number from them or is it a case of the documentation they provided came with it?
    I then supply this account number to whichever provider I choose, yeah?

Snaps in your case is it a montly fee of 40 quid to Vodafone and no line rental to eircom as that would be ideal if I could get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vegeta wrote: »
    Line is not activated and I want to get broadband but avoid paying for any calls packages/line rental.

You can avoid bundled cal packages, but if you have a phone line, you have to pay line rental. There's no way around that.
    Will I have to pay Eircom to activate the line? (no real problem doing this, if its a once off)
    Yes, unless they're doing one of their random free install offers.
    What I need next is my account number yes?
    Snaps what did you do specifically to get the number from them or is it a case of the documentation they provided came with it?
    You'll have to wait for eircom to send the credit agreement, which they should do within a week or two.

I then supply this account number to whichever provider I choose, yeah?

Snaps in your case is it a montly fee of 40 quid to Vodafone and no line rental to eircom as that would be ideal if I could get it

There will always be line rental to eircom, but it's included in Vodafone's prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jor el wrote: »
    There will always be line rental to eircom, but it's included in Vodafone's prices.

Thanks a million, this is what I was hoping for. 40 quid a month is doable. Throwing another 50%+ on top for line rental makes it less appealing, especially as its for entertainment purposes.

Do many other providers include the line rental in their price?

as soon as you get your credit agreement with your eircom account number, sign up to vodafone or who ever. You will be switched over from that date and eircom will credit you the time you were not with them (You pay upfront with eircom)

Advertisement