Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planxty tribute band

Options
  • 07-08-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guy's I'm looking to meet some trad musicians with the hope of forming a planxty tribute band. I play guitar and a little mandoline and sing . It will be mainly planxty but am willing to branch out to the odd dubliners, Chieftains etc. numbers. I'm based in Fermoy so can meet people in Cork, West Waterford, South Tipp or South Limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Ring Joe Duffy, he'll get you all the publicity you want Lunny, Christy, Liam Og all fighting over who owns the Planxty name.

Great idea and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Can you own a band name? I know Phil Coulter owned the rights to a lot of their music, which he passed on to an American crowd. If there is no written agreement as to who owns the band name, I'd say its fair game for anyone to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

A lads give him a break!:P

On topic, there's a very active CCÉ branch in fermoy, remember reading about them in the paper before and i know they've won all arounf them at the fleadhanna. So maybe get in contact there and try meet people who'd be up for it?

Other than that try get into some sessions around the place and get playing with other people, if people hear that you're good they'll be happy to start up a band i'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

:P
    fh041205 wrote: »
    Can you own a band name? I know Phil Coulter owned the rights to a lot of their music, which he passed on to an American crowd. If there is no written agreement as to who owns the band name, I'd say its fair game for anyone to use.

I've always wondered why neither of the warring factions :P in the Wolfe Tones can operate under that name anymore. :confused:

Sorry for bringing this into your thread emurf. :pac: Great idea for a band. You'll need some fine musicians!

Speaking of Planxty, I hope they do some more shows... 2004 in Vicar Street was the best gig I've ever been to. :)

Speaking of Planxty, I hope they do some more shows... 2004 in Vicar Street was the best gig I've ever been to. :)

Lucky sod. I have the audio cd although i'm told that Si Bheag Si Mhor on the dvd is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

I think Christy said in an interview to promote his latest album (possibly in the Sunday Times Culture magazine) that if there was another Planxty reunion he wouldn't be part of it.

trad - just wondering where did you hear about fighting over who owns the Planxty name?

I'm sure some people will be interested in this also - Mozaik (featuring Donal Lunny and Andy Irvine) are doing an Irish tour in November. these guys are amazing and there are always a few Planxty tunes in the set. dates are

OCTOBER
    30. Set Theatre, Kilkenny. (details to follow)
    NOVEMBER
    3. The Pavilion, Cork
    4. Town Hall Theatre, Galway
    5. Whelan's, Dublin
    6. Hawkswell, Sligo
    7. Iontas Arts Centre, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan
    8. Riverside Arts Centre. Newbridge, Co. Kildare
    11. Mermaid Arts Centre, Bray, Co. Wicklow
    12. Glor, Ennis, Co. Clare
    13. William Kennedy Piping Festival,
    Armagh City.
    14. Seamus Ennis Centre, Naul, Co. Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Didn't hear it anywhere yet but seeing as some of the best groups of the 70's and 80's were slogging it out on liveline I thought some of the other prominent groups would follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭emurf

Lads All this chat is lovely but it is straying from the subject. Banjopaul , I'm a bit slow to go down the ceolteori route at the moment. It's a bit formal and Planxty were anything but. And before ye say Liam Og was from a formal background yes I may look for a piper from that side of things. The main thing I'm looking for is a bouzouki player and maybe another Mandolin player to start with to work on the distinctive planxty sound. After that we can add whatever we like, Pipes, Whistle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

emurf wrote: »
    Lads All this chat is lovely but it is straying from the subject. Banjopaul , I'm a bit slow to go down the ceolteori route at the moment. It's a bit formal and Planxty were anything but. And before ye say Liam Og was from a formal background yes I may look for a piper from that side of things. The main thing I'm looking for is a bouzouki player and maybe another Mandolin player to start with to work on the distinctive planxty sound. After that we can add whatever we like, Pipes, Whistle etc.

I'm not saying you have to join or anything, I'm just saying there are musicians in your area so it might be a way of meeting like minded people. Plus I wouldn't deem Comhaltas a formal background at all.:D Any lessons i've had have been far from it!

Also do you mind if I ask why you want to be a tribute band? Why not make your own style, and play the way you play yourself? Way better if you ask me.

emurf wrote: »

emurf, I think most people will tell you that you probably won't find what your looking for here. Best way is meeting people through sessions or whatever gigs are going on around your area. Banjopaul has already pointed this out to you, which is why the discussion has moved on.

Now back to planxty......

• Advertisement
Advertisement