Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russians behind Internet attack

• 07-08-2009 9:59am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A lot of mainstream news sources are saying that the downtime suffered by Facebook, Google and Twitter yesterday are due to Russian hackers launching a botnet attack against a Georgian blogger.

Russians launched Twitter attack to hit Georgian blogger Cyxymu

Internet attacks 'targeted Georgian blogger'

A Georgian blogger by the name of Cyxymu has accounts on all the websites and was the target, according to a senior security executive at Facebook
    It was a simultaneous attack across a number of properties targeting him to keep his voice from being heard," Max Kelly told CNET News.

So are we to believe that Russia took down some of the most wellknown and busiest sites on the 'net just to temperly prevent one Georgian guy from blogging?
    It emerged that hackers also used a botnet to send a flurry of spam email messages that contained links to pages on Twitter, Facebook and other sites written by Cyxymu..

The articles seem to suggest that it was Russia the state who launched the attacks as opposde to just a bunch of random Russians but not a shred of evidence for this is given.

I call shenanigans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

How awesome would that be if it was true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

The first real internet war...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

those nasty russian hackers are attacking democracy and western values once again..

Vladimir Putin ordered the attack. :pac:

Пусть блох из тысячи верблюдов кишеть один из ваших эрогенных зон

I love reading stories with titles like "russia hackers behind cyber attack on Y" "chinese hackers attack X"
    "muslim hackers declare cyber jihad on west"...etc etc

You get the picture anyway, it's nothing but yellow journalism.
    We're all under attack !!

We rarely get to read about important events, like Georgia provoking Russia into another conflict by mortar fire into S.Ossetia.

Twitter suffering a DoS attack was more news worthy and obviously the work of those bad russians... ;)

I'm not pro-russian by the way, but I would like all the facts on this.

The story is total rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well I use twitter and its fine today .... except it wont let me tweet about this russian situation! Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

this is fairly common story you see now and again written by crap journalists, or maybe it's some propaganda by the US government, who knows.

this story will likely end up being published on many news sites now, with no actual evidence to back up the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I've an account on all three, it was clearly the british attacking me, trying to silence me. Its only a matter of time before they find out about my boards account. I'm sorry comrades. :(

Advertisement