Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hook up cables

• 07-08-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Is there a rule that hook up cables should be orange?

The wiring diagram for my camper says there is an earth in the hook up cable. The local HW store is well stocked and has the connectors to make a cable but their orange cable only has live and neutral , no earth.

Do you have to use orange cable on camp sites or can I just by normal white coated cable?
    I could just by one in Halfords but I don’t want a 25 meter cable 15 is enough and I can make it for less than half the price.

Also have an inkling that connectors in France are different ?

Cheers

SH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The colour of the cable is irrelevant, but it is vitally important that it has an earth wire (and connection) in it.

The 240V wiring in and to your camper is the same as in your house (with trip switch and all) and you need the earth connection to the hook-up for the safeties to work.

At least that's my dyslectric understanding of the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Just pop into your local "electrical supply store" and get the required length of 3 core "artic" cable. Make up the cable yourself.

I have 2 cables, one blue and one orange. I guess the orange cable might be a little more visable in the grass.......might help to stop somebody tripping over it, somebody cutting it with a lawn mower etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Also have an inkling that connectors in France are different ?

In a lot of sites in france you need an adapter to a 2 pin french type plug. Sometimes the EHU box on the pitch will have a choice of eith 2 or 3 pin. I just bought a french 2 pin plug while i was there and put it on the end of the adapter cable i use at home when i plug the MH into the 220V at the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

My understanding is blue for outdoor, white for indoor. Orange cable is 6 amp (I think). Be careful in france, they don't seem to care which is neutral and which is live. Bring a tester and check each place you hook up.

Advertisement