Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old photos

Options
  • 07-08-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've been reading the Historic Dublin Pictures thread for the last few days and find it fascinating, but odd that there's no similar thread here. I've only been in the proper capital for the last 9 years, but would love to see pictures of how places like panna have changed over the last hundred years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's some great photos and history on Cork Libraries Past and Present website. I posted about the bollard on Grand Parade only yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dahamsta wrote: »

that's cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Not a thread but was in Liam Russells Book shop, Oliver Plunkett Street, last weekend and as you enter the shop on the right side, there was a table/shelves full of books on old Cork. One of them was photos by Fr. Browne, it was amazing. So if you want to delve into the past, definitely stroll in there and you'll find a lot. (Fr. Browne did those famous photos of the Titanic, from its last stop at Cobh/Queenstown). Enjoy! J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The National Library have put an large archive of old photos on their website.

http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/index_glassplates.php?CISOROOT=/glassplates

Go to advance search and type "Cork City" into "The exact phrase".

The Grand Parade.

glassplates&CISOPTR=12061

• Advertisement

Patrick Street.

glassplates&CISOPTR=12850

The Coal Quay.
    glassplates&CISOPTR=12843

Patrick's Bridge.

glassplates&CISOPTR=1822

The South Mall.
    glassplates&CISOPTR=12066

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Great pics, deadhead, any idea of dates?

• Advertisement

They are from the National Library archive - the Lawerence Royal & Cabinet Collections 1870-1914.

There are loads more on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I get so angry when I see those trams from that time. What idiots we had for ancestors to allow the trams to be shut down. As for the railways in Cork :mad:

To get back to the topic, it would be great if we could continue this thread with old photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cork City Library website has 100's of photos in their catalogues as well, very similar to the ones shown above.

CCI_00297.jpg

This is a standout one.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Did a project on Old Cork in school, must try to find it tomorrow it was one of those projects that I really got into and got a rare 'A' for it. Fantastic pics, looking at the coal quay the left hand side hasnt change a bit, great stuff could look at these pictures all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

corblimey wrote: »
    the proper capital

Ever wonder why Dublin is the capital :rolleyes:

Westwood wrote: »
    Ever wonder why Dublin is the capital :rolleyes:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Spent the whole morning looking at the National Library site, great stuff. I'd love to see side by side comparisons of ones like Patrick street and Coal Quay, so I might just head in and do it myself in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

corblimey wrote: »
    Spent the whole morning looking at the National Library site, great stuff. I'd love to see side by side comparisons of ones like Patrick street and Coal Quay, so I might just head in and do it myself in a few weeks.

Don't forget comparing Grand Parade comparisons as well, that place has constantly been changing!

Advertisement