Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Kelly - Gobnait o'Lunasy

• 07-08-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get recordings of Frank Kelly on the telephone - he used to do a lot of it on the old RTE show "Anois 's Arís". He was hilarious. Been trawling the net and the only one I can find is "The 12 days of Christmas" which was released as a record but he's done much much more than this.

He used to play a character called "Gobnait" (I think).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

This cames from his 1970's radio show - "The Glen Abbey Show". And was on a album of Frank Kelly sketches called "Comedy Countdown".

http://www.irishrecords.com/comcoun.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Frank released an album back in the early eighties, I'm not sure if it was ever released on cd. I can get you the lable and cat number on monday if its of any assistance to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Was that the character? Like are you sure of the character's name and spelling? Just to be sure.

You are correct the stuff he broadcast was 'Incredible'.
    And also it was "Monologue" material. Monologue is appreciated later in Radio history.

Talking with English/British friends and explaining that, Father Ted, there was a special talent there in Father Jack, they had to see it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

Folks, thanks very much for your responses. I'm not entirely sure if Gobnait O'Lunacy was the character name, but if sounds about right.

Muppet, if you could get me the lable and catalogue number of his early 80's album, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mulphisto

Used to have his album.
    It was called Frank'ly Speaking or something like that.
    It was hilarious.
    Love to get a hold of it on CD too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seandeas wrote: »

Muppet, if you could get me the lable and catalogue number of his early 80's album, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks again,

No Problem , It was called comedy countdown, it was on the Ritz label and the cat number is RITZSP402.

RITZSP402

RITZSP402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Seandeas, I came across that and some other CDs by Frank Kelly in Dennistons of Longford today if thats any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

"Gobnait Ó Lúnasa" I think, although Gobnait is usually a girl's name (transliterated as Deborah).

(Apologies for background hiss - captured from audio cassette)

While we're on previous incarnations, before Fr Ted there was Fr Trendy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Larry-K

Hi People,

Has anybody had any luck in finding any of this stuff?

Had a tape years ago but it's been lost to the ravages of time...

Would love to source it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Ultimo

I heard Frank being interviewed recently and he stated that there was a 'Best Of' CD being issued shortly. I've got some of the old albums and for those of us who loved the material first time around this is great news as the sketches are timeless.

There was also a book 'The Annals of Ballykilferrret' published by Gill & MacMillan in 1979 illustrated by the late Terry Willers. Frank gives the lowdown on County West Laois's most notorious town. Grannerty's Supermarket, O'Nutty's Bog, Dr Sheamus O'Trembler, The Nod Rooney and a quick guide to the geneological roots of the O'Lunacy family are all detailed as the legend comes to life.. The book is out of print but I'm sure copies will surface from time to time on on ebay and amazon or check out secondhand bookshops & charity shops. If the CD sells well perhaps Frank could persuade a publisher to issue an updated history of Ballykilferret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i loved the character he played on Halls Pictorial Weekly..Parnell Mooney the mad culchie councillor with the spikey hair who'd shout out sparadic things

• Registered Users Posts: 27 d4guy

I can offer some information about what you are looking for but regarding where to get them, i'm not sure.

Frank Kelly released vinyl LPs on Cabaret Records. They were recorded at Tommy Ellis Studios in Dublin.

The Titles and Catalogue Numbers are as follows (ones I'm aware of)
    CAB 102 Listen ... Guess Who (1977)

Tracks

Alarming Tale
    Magnum Farce
    Think Tank
    Incoming Call
    Festive Spirit
    Hymn Of Praise

One Day On A Ledge
    Call Of The Wild
    Wicklow Idyll
    Gaeltalk
    Songs To Remember
    Festive Note

CAB 103 Frank(el)ly Speaking (1978)

Tracks

Better Never Than Late
    Panic Measure
    Flight Of Fancy
    Fightin' Words
    Bull Irish-Style
    Oedipus Wrecked

Mis-Alert
    Puckin' Fair
    Jumbo Trade-In
    Manwatch
    Flight Into The Unknown
    Artistic Licence

CAB 104 Let's Go with the Glen Abbey Show (1979)

Tracks

Buckets Of Fun
    Triangle Of Fear
    The Road To Kinnegad
    Timewarp
    The Soft Touch
    The Old Curiosity Shop

The Gentle Art
    Signs And Wonders
    Land Ho!
    Tax Your Money
    Hecuba For All
    85,000 Country Singers

CAB 106 Money for Old Rope was released around 1980 or 1981 but I don't have the details to hand. I assume there was a CAB 101 and a CAB 105 but these may not have been Frank Kelly but other artists on the Cabaret Label. I hope this is of some help to you. I would suggest car boot sales or ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is a Best of Frank Kelly double CD; I got in in Golden Disc's before Christmas for €15.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Larry-K wrote: »
    Has anybody had any luck in finding any of this stuff?

Frank played the old man in the brilliant Irish Language film Yu Ming is Ainm Dom (2003) (about 8.30 for the really poignant scene where Frank, playing a customer in a Dublin pub, hears a Chinese lad talking in Irish to an ignorant barman in Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread....a lot of Frank's stuff is on youtube, mainly uploaded by Celtic Note.

I'm looking for any of Frank's resuscitations (poems) along the lines of Wicklow Idyll, which is on youtube.

If anybody has "The Road to Kinnegad" or any of the others,I'd be most grateful for a copy, or perhaps you'd upload them to youtube and post a link....

TIA

Advertisement