Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Soundcard and Speakers

Options
  • 07-08-2009 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Am going to upgrade my PC sound system. It is for music and gaming(obviously). For the card i was thinking either Creative labs X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Champion Series or the Auzentech Prelude 7.1. Speakers wise I was thinking of going for the Logitech Z5500. I have a budget of 500 yoyo's, so if you have any suggestions that would be better than the above, particularly on the music side :D, then i thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The X-Fi is a good card but the Asus Xonar Dx2 is better.
    Every review rates it as being better than the X-Fi.
    However the X-Fi supports EAX5 while the Xonar only supports EAX2 and simulates above that.
    Driver support from Creative sucks though and if i was replacing my X-Fi Fata1ty i'd go for the Xonar.

As for the speakers..have a set of these and they are the bees knees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Am going to upgrade my PC sound system. It is for music and gaming(obviously). For the card i was thinking either Creative labs X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Champion Series or the Auzentech Prelude 7.1. Speakers wise I was thinking of going for the Logitech Z5500. I have a budget of 500 yoyo's, so if you have any suggestions that would be better than the above, particularly on the music side :D, then i thank you in advance.

For a start with OS you using at the moment XP or Vista as top teir sound cards lose out alot of there selling points in Vista due to how directsound works via no more Hardware acceleration so reviews based on games running faster are moot.

Creative drivers and support are aweful and bloated and while the Xfi has Eax5 how many games these days even bother with Eax? Asus seem much more bang for the buck with glowing reviews. Asus support and drivers seem much better as well.

The Z5500 are awesome speaker but the box is huge and heavy so you will need to factor in shipping costs. Check out Komplett for the free pick up point delivery and serious savings as I got mine for €250.

Advertisement