Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSPCA warns of 'equine disaster'

Options
  • 07-08-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A caim that more than 1,000 horses will starve to death this winter around the country because of lack of fodder and the inability of owners to provide for them was made yesterday by the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

I think that this is so sad. Throughout the boom people invested their spare cash in sponsoring horses. No that the boom is gone and many of these high profile investors have hit rock bottom the poor horses are now suffering. These are very expensive to keep and time consuming to look after. :mad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0807/1224252149429.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

This is devastating. If I was in a better position myself time and money wise I would definitely consider taking an unwanted horse on. I have done it twice in the past and it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made!

I have a few friends working in the racing industry and I hear horror stories of horses just being left behind after the sales as their owners simply cannot afford to keep them.

I firmly believe that breeding horses should be left to those who know what they're at rather than someone who likes the look of a foal running around in their field. Even in the good times they were still far too many horses destroyed because they didn't make the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    This is devastating. If I was in a better position myself time and money wise I would definitely consider taking an unwanted horse on. I have done it twice in the past and it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made!

I have a few friends working in the racing industry and I hear horror stories of horses just being left behind after the sales as their owners simply cannot afford to keep them.

I firmly believe that breeding horses should be left to those who know what they're at rather than someone who likes the look of a foal running around in their field. Even in the good times they were still far too many horses destroyed because they didn't make the grade.
    Looks as if they suffer the same faith as the dogs in greyhound industry. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Yes, your right, they do. I'd say that Greyhounds probably suffer more, easier to dispose of I guess :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

every weekend there are ex-racehorses left tied to factory gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

Not just racehorses.If anything thoroughbreds are better off (in terms of the recession) than the humble ponies and cobs. Pet horses whose owners have lost their jobs and can't afford to keep them anymore are the horses I think the DSPCA are talking about.And just to make it worse the dreadful weather this summer has damaged the hay crop so the price has gone through the roof. I'm already seeing painfully thin horses standing about in bare fields. And it's not winter yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement