Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Arsenal

• 07-08-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This thread didn't take long :)

I look forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Excellent, i cant wait for this :) I'm feeling smug

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Happy enough, especially with the second leg at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This should be a great couple of games.

Arsenal will be favourites, but Celtic are more than capable of the upset. Mowbray must be sick with this draw though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Arsenal won't be happy.
    Paradise is a graveyard for Premier League teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great ?
    A real cup tie this early in the champions league

Wait for Sky's Battle of Britain campaign :D

Pal wrote: »
    Arsenal won't be happy.

ha ha yea yea, Celtic are muck, We'll hammer them

Arsenal won't be happy.

Away games in Europe aren't much fun for Celtic either.

won away this week

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »
    ha ha yea yea, Celtic are muck, We'll hammer them

thats what Liverpool said

ha ha

won away this week

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Brilliant draw, this will entertain me until the more interesting teams enter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Nice to have a big game like this so early in the season.

Come on Celtic.

thats what Liverpool said

ha ha

and theyre muck too :D nah, it'll be an interesting tie.. iknow celtic won away this week, but in fairness their away record is terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jesus the 2nd leg away too. Celtic could win 2-0 at home and I'd still not be too confident. I just hate the 2nd leg away.

The one thing going for Celtic is their energy under Mowbray. I'm certain Arsenal won't have faced a team this season that will give them so little team on the ball. Brown and N'Guemo are machines.

Ah well, it's a change from Man Utd, Barca, Milan, Benfica, Villarreal, Shakhtar, etc, around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Celtic's defence wont cope with the Arsenal's pace and movement. Comfortable win for the gunners in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

great tie for the g00nerz, the SPL is muck, and played at a slower pace.. this will be over after the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Non-Champions Route:

* Lyon – Anderlecht
    * Celtic – Arsenal
    * Timisoara – Stuttgart
    * Sporting – Fiorentina
    * Panathinaikos – Atletico Madrid

Champions Route:

* Sheriff – Olympiakos
    * Salzburg – Maccabi Haifa
    * Ventspils – Zurich
    * Kobenhaven – APOEL
    * Levski – Debrecen

true.
    It will be interesting.
    Celtic don't travel.
    I have been enough times to know that its nights like Arsenal at Parkhead bring out the best in Celtic. Watch this space.
    Celtic at home in Europe are no easy ask.
    just about everybody (except Barca) gets turned over at Celtic Park.
    Bookies will have Arsenal favourites of course (just like the Dubs were on Monday).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

My my aren't the gunners confident!! 2 weeks to the first leg lads at the rate Arsenal are selling players they'll be lucky to have a squad left :D.

Plus Ac Milan won't want Fabregas cup tied so i doubt he'll be playing!!

As a celtic fan i'm really worried about Arsenal's tough tackling midfield!! :pac::pac:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    great tie for the g00nerz, the SPL is muck, and played at a slower pace.. this will be over after the first leg.
    As I said, Arsenal won't have faced a team that will force them to play the ball so quickly. The tempo of Celtic under Mowbray is unreal. As soon as they lose the ball they press and force errors and that's without the machine Scott Brown. Arsenal will surely win the tie but I'm expecting a hell of a match at Celtic Park.

As a celtic fan i'm really worried about Arsenal's tough tackling midfield!! :pac::pac:

yea yea.... u should be worried about the speed they pass the ball about, and how clinical they can be in front of goal... This will be the only real game Celtic get all year

Plus Ac Milan won't want Fabregas cup tied so i doubt he'll be playing!!

This place gets more ridiculous by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fairly happy with that draw

The only teams I would have preferred to get were Anderlecht or Timisoara.

Should be an interesting game, really looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Easy win for the gooners imo.

how clinical they can be in front of goal... This will be the only real game Celtic get all year

Oh no don't unleash Nicklas Bendtner on us!! Celtic will win at paradise but at the emirates i reckon Arsenal will see out the tie.

There is hope for Celtic though Arsenal have a serious lack of height in the team so this should be exposed at set pieces. Plus that bleached head spanish goalkeeper ye have that wants to play for England he aint great either lads to be fair. He's no Holy goalie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Great draw - would love to see Celtic get through. Wenger can concentrate on the Carling Cup then with his Peter Pan team who never grows old.

• Advertisement

Oh no don't unleash Nicklas Bendtner on us!! Celtic will win at paradise but at the emirates i reckon Arsenal will see out the tie.

There is hope for Celtic though Arsenal have a serious lack of height in the team so this should be exposed at set pieces. Plus that bleached head spanish goalkeeper ye have that wants to play for England he aint great either lads to be fair. He's no Holy goalie!!

ha, nah hopefully we'll have eduardo, rvp, and arshavin all fit and ready to go :D ah Almunia aint all that bad, he's not amazing or anything but he's fairly solid

ha, nah hopefully we'll have eduardo, rvp, and arshavin all fit and ready to go :D ah Almunia aint all that bad, he's not amazing or anything but he's fairly solid

Arshavin, Eduardo and Walcott are a lethal combo plus Almunia is a good keeper im only clutching at straws here!!

Plus no fear ex rangers man Arteta will do any damage to ye'r boys in the season opener against Everton so they'll all be rearing to go by time the fist leg comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

In a way I'm annoyed with this draw, wanted both sides to make it through.

Arsenal will run at Celtic and cause them huge problems. The damage will be done in the first leg and Celtic will have to come out at the Emirates to score an away goal. Arsenal will score up there and if Celtic go at them they will be torn to pieces.

Prediction

Celtic 0 Arsenal 2

Arsenal 4 Celtic 0

I know I'm being harsh on Celtic but Arsenal will run riot with all their attacking players.

Oh no don't unleash Nicklas Bendtner on us!!
    Yeh Arshavin, van Persie, Eduardo and Walcott will all warm the bench.
    There is hope for Celtic though Arsenal have a serious lack of height in the team so this should be exposed at set pieces.
    Celtic have a midfield of midgets too though.

DenMan wrote: »

Prediction

Celtic 0 Arsenal 2

Arsenal 4 Celtic 0

Audacious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can someone explain to me how Stuttgart and fiorentina are seeded and Celtic and Lyon where not. Surely they're higher in the European rankings.

• Advertisement

Lyon were seeded, Fiorentina weren't.

Stuttgart are ranked so high because of UEFA cup runs. It was a lot easier to get more points in that competition. This has all been changed now and the CL is where the points will be from now on thanks to a reshuffle of the bonus points system.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Yeh Arshavin, van Persie, Eduardo and Walcott will all warm the bench.

Celtic have a midfield of midgets too though.

N'guemo doesnt go into the box for corners he holds, Maloney takes most corners so in the middle we'll have Loovens, Caldwell and sami all over 6ft. Im telling you set pieces we'll be dangerous.

If our reserves can beat spurs 2-0 in the webley cup i reckon we'll give arsenal a run in celtic park. Plus they'll have only played one competitive match by then we'll have played 3!! :p

Think of the havoc Rory Delap caused Arsenal last season when he whipped in a few throws? Think stoke ended up winning that match.

Their good with great flair but because of their soft under belly they're by no means unbeatable.

Lower your expectations as it's really not worth it when they lose and it doesn't make winning any more satisfying. It took me years to cop on to that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Interesting draw. Hard to know who'll come out on top

I'm more looking forward to who get Pats get. Well done Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

N'guemo doesnt go into the box for corners he holds, Maloney takes most corners so in the middle we'll have Loovens, Caldwell and sami all over 6ft. Im telling you set pieces we'll be dangerous.

If our reserves can beat spurs 2-0 in the webley cup i reckon we'll give arsenal a run in celtic park. Plus they'll have only played one competitive match by then we'll have played 3!! :p

Think of the havoc Rory Delap caused Arsenal last season when he whipped in a few throws? Think stoke ended up winning that match.

Their good with great flair but because of their soft under belly they're by no means unbeatable.

What have the Gunners to worry about? Didn't they already beat the Champions of Scotland only last weekend 3-0? Surely the runners-up will be an easier game :P

• Advertisement

It's the same every year. Don't always believe what you read on the internet.

Im telling you set pieces we'll be dangerous.

Arsenal in vulnerable to set pieces shocker...

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's the same every year. Don't always believe what you read on the internet.

What are you for real????? Next you'll be telling me that "the daily Sun" is not a credible source either!!

Just having the banter no fear of Cesc going to Milan. Well not for £31m any way if Alonso went for £30m that would surely put Fabregas at £40m plus.

That's very true but in order to get free kicks etc your going to need the ball. Arsenal as a general don't like the ball to be out of play and Celtic will have to keep it for a long time in order to earn frees. Arsenal's passing game will have the Celtic players banging into each other. It's not frees they'll want it's something to ward of the dizziness.

DenMan wrote: »
    That's very true but in order to get free kicks etc your going to need the ball. Arsenal as a general don't like the ball to be out of play and Celtic will have to keep it for a long time in order to earn frees. Arsenal's passing game will have the Celtic players banging into each other. It's not frees they'll want it's something to ward of the dizziness.

Over confidence is a great thing in sport Pat Gilroy swears by it!! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tough tie for Celtic, the toughest it could have been. On the plus side, while Celtic's away record in Europe is poor, England is hardly the other side of Europe, and I would expect a decent performance from them at the Emirates as they generally play well against English teams away.

Parkhead will be electric for the home tie. Have to go all out for a win at home and hope for an upset away, but realistically I can see us losing by a couple away.

Brown and N'guemo will be key players for these games. I'm worried about Loovens tbh. Any news on McManus? Maloney and McGeady are must-starts against Arsenal also.

Would be a good time for Fortune to get his scoring boots on!

What are you for real?????

You made no hint that you may be joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have no fear of Arsenal and am quietly confident of progressing.

I have no fear of Arsenal and am quietly confident of progressing.

You'd want to stay off that Guinness. It seems to be affecting your brain. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well, what have Arsenal won recently? The FA Cup in 2005. They are too light. They are now a feeder club for bigger clubs.

They are easy to defend against..just block up the centre. The same works against France.

But we shall see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement