Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Arsenal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Bet Arsenal are glad they didn't get drawn against Hull City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well im in an unusual position here in that I actually support Celtic and Arsenal :eek:

It was the draw I was dreading but expecting tbh, at least there is the consolation that one of them will be in the group stages in the chapions league and the other in the group stages of the Europa, cos at 5 o'clock wednesday there was of course the possibility that one of them would be out completely after these games.

Personally I think Arsenal should just about have enough but there is no way it is a forgone conclusion or anything like it, if Celtic can get on top in the first 10 minutes in parkhead and get the crowd behind them Arsenal will be in for a very tough night and there are definitely some of the Arsenal team that I feel could be found wanting in such an atmosphere.

However my main concern with Celtic is where are the goals going to come from, imo Samaras, Fortune and Killen are way off this level and only Scotty will offer a real threat whereas Arsenal have scoring threats all over the pitch ( when fit off course)

Overall my prediction would be:

Celtic 1 Arsenal 0
    Arsenal 2 Celtic 0

But only if Arsenal have the right frame of mind and are willing to fight for it because Celtic will come at them at a hundred miles an hour and if Arsenal dont match that we may see a repeat of the Liverpool and Blackburn clashes (both those ties Celtic were away 2nd leg also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

What are you for real????? Next you'll be telling me that "the daily Sun" is not a credible source either!!

Just having the banter no fear of Cesc going to Milan. Well not for £31m any way if Alonso went for £30m that would surely put Fabregas at £40m plus.
    Lets hope that was sarcasm!

Theres no way Fabregas is going. Certainly not at those prices. He's probably the only world class player at arsenal (Although I think Arshavin is going to be great this year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Mowbray likes to attack, which is the worst way to play against Arsenal if your players don't have the quality to pull it off.

Arsenal will have it tough up in Scotland though, it's the exact type of game the squad is poor at playing. Vermaelen (if he even plays), will have to be on his game. That said, with players like Arshavin, Fabregas, van Persie going forward... I think they'll have enough.

Nasri/Rosicky are big losses as Walcott will have to start on the wing. When he's good he's good, but when's he's not he's awful. If he has a poor game(s), it may cause problems for Arsenal's attack.

Predictions:

Celtic 1-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-0 Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You made no hint that you may be joking.
    Surely only the most gullible or naive would think:

"Plus Ac Milan won't want Fabregas cup tied so i doubt he'll be playing!!"

is anything other than a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

They are easy to defend against

Arsenal scored the same number of goals in the league last year as United and Chelsea. Would you say they are easy to defend against aswell???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I have no fear of Arsenal and am quietly confident of progressing.

lets not forget arsenal second string dis assembled rangers last weekend.

If we play to our ability well win easy. Celtic could cause a shock for sure, but their record in europe is poor to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Arsenal don't like it up 'em, which is what celtic will do. Wonder what the odds on Celtic are on getting through? Would be well worth a punt. Escecially with arsenals injuries and selling toure and adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Oh this is going to be hilarious. Arsenal to win over 2 legs by at least three goals, anything else would be a huge shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quint wrote: »
    Wonder what the odds on Celtic are on getting through? Would be well worth a punt. Escecially with arsenals injuries and selling toure and adebayor.

11/4, sure put €400 on them, you'll be laughing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Have to admit i'm quite taken aback by the arrogance of a lot of Arsenal fans.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I'd prefer to play Celtic than having to travel to Moscow. I don't think it will be an easy tie, we haven't added what we needed to the squad (so far), but I do think over both legs we have enough to see us through.

I'm never overly confident in the qualifying rounds even though we have a good record of progressing from them.

Could be a disaster season for Arsenal. Out of the champions league and finishing outside the top 4

Could be a disaster season for Arsenal. Out of the champions league and finishing outside the top 4

Or they could win the league, champions league, and euromillions.

Ridiculous post, before a ball has been kicked you're writing us off completely??? Sure we're bound to be relegated nevermind finish outside the top 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I want Celtic to win this but realistically can't look past Arsenal winning through.

Celtic would need a decent lead from the first leg but I can see Arsenal scoring a couple of away goals and then finishing the job off at home.

Will be a good match for the nuetral,Arsenal play beautiful footy and I havent seen Celtic this year but I hear they are playing some nice stuff aswell,cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Mr Alan wrote: »

I'm taken aback by the amount of credit people are give Celtic. They finished bottom of their group in this competition last year compared to Arsenal who reached the semis.

Celtic live off a strongish home record in Europe and thats it!

I'm not saying that Arsenal won't find it difficult but a realist would have to admit they will be favourites to go through here and it would be a major shock if they didn't. If Celtic do win then fair play to them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If on the outside chance that Celtic did put Arsenal out then I would say Wengers position as Arsenal manager would be in jeopardy.

blinding wrote: »
    If on the outside chance that Celtic did put Arsenal out then I would say Wengers position as Arsenal manager would be in jeopardy.

Really??? Who would replace him??? Who else could work with that budget and still be there or there abouts every season???

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Really??? Who would replace him??? Who else could work with that budget and still be there or there abouts every season???
    Don't get me wrong I believe that Wenger is a top class manager but with it being awhile since Arsenal won anything(by their standards) if they were to go out of the champions league then he would be under serious pressure.

In my opinion Arsenal without Wenger (for as long as he has been there) would probably have been on a par with Spurs.

Don't get me wrong I believe that Wenger is a top class manager but with it being awhile since Arsenal won anything(by their standards) if they were to go out of the champions league then he would be under serious pressure.

In my opinion Arsenal without Wenger (for as long as he has been there) would probably have been on a par with Spurs.

How can a man on this budget be under pressure with what he's achieved???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when will this match be on and whose showing it ?

Headshot wrote: »

18th of August, our previous qualifiers have been on ITV (maybe ITV 4), but since it's Celtic maybe Sky or Setanta Ireland will pick it up.

Or they could win the league, champions league, and euromillions.

If Wenger buys a ticket they're in with a chance with the euromillions. But the other 2? Not a chance in hell

Wenger is at arsenal until he decides ottherwise. And rightly so. He is one of the best managers in english football history, especially when you consider his remarkable financial prudence. I would challenge ferguson or benitez to work with such limited funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If Wenger buys a ticket they're in with a chance with the euromillions. But the other 2? Not a chance in hell

wow

you are seriously under-rating this current arsenal side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A UK channel and an Irish channel will no doubt show it also as these games come under the Champions League televison rights.

How can a man on this budget be under pressure with what he's achieved???
    If and its a big if Arsenal loose to Celtic then he will be under pressure.
    I am not saying he should be I am just saying he will be.

I don't think so to be honest, but I'm reasonably confident we won't be in that position this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I don't think so to be honest, but I'm reasonably confident we won't be in that position this season.

If this were too happen there is no question he would be under pressure from the media and a sizeable proportion of the fans, but at board level not a chance. I think it would probably take two years of not qualifying for the group stages before they would even consider replacing him.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A UK channel and an Irish channel will no doubt show it also as these games come under the Champions League televison rights.

Its on Sky Sports 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I can see Celtic causing Arsenal problems in Glasgow, but I'd say Arsenal have enough quality to see them off over two legs.

I wonder if Wilshire will play after tearing apart Rangers. It's certainly tempting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol at the easy win for Arsenal comments, clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I predict an easy win for Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

This will be billed as a 'battle of Britain' by the advertisers and Celtic will fancy their chances, but this isn't a meaningless pre season friendly or CL group game. Arsenal will beat Celtic comfortably. The gulf in class is far, far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its on Sky Sports 2

RTE will probably show both legs and UTV will show which ever leg is played on the Wednesday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Looking forward to these games, they should be really entertaining.

Saw Celtic's win in Moscow the other night. It was an impressive result but the team looked like there is still a lot of developement to be done.

I think Arsenal are a big step above what Celtic can handle at the moment.

Prediciton:
    Celtic 1-0 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3-0 Celtic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

CHD wrote: »
    lol at the easy win for Arsenal comments, clueless.

Coming from the guy who got basically every prediction about Chelsea last season wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

just to clarify, i wasn't saying i think Celtic will get through, obviously Arsenal are the favs and rightly so, but laughing at Celtics chances? come on!

the away in Europe record is off their back now & everyone knows they can beat anyone at home.

Claiming the game will be a stroll in the park for Arsenal is what i was laughing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

TV3 are showing it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

whats the chances of getting a ticket for the game at highbury????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

poindexter wrote: »

Near impossible, unless the exact same fixture takes place, back a few years and you have a time machine.

poindexter wrote: »

You usually need to be a member to get a ticket to any Arsenal games, slight chance they'll go on general sale this time though as there is only 3 weeks until kick off.

• Advertisement

You usually need to be a member to get a ticket to any Arsenal games, slight chance they'll go on general sale this time though as there is only 3 weeks until kick off.
    do they sell out their games???

Yeah, pretty much. They usually sell out before the general public even have a chance of purchasing a ticket. I think demand has dwindled lately though so I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd fancy Arsenal to win this tie comfortably. I reckon...

Celtic 1-2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3-1 Celtic

come on lads, any tickets for this Bhoy. i even watched Fever Pitch last night and supported yous in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement