Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Camperdown Program

Options
  • 07-08-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

So I went to see the speech therapist here in Waterford the other day. First time I've seen one since I was about 7 - that was 20 years ago!

My stuttering has got progressively worse in the past year or two, so much so that my attempts of masking it (alternative words, etc.) are, I'm quite sure, becoming noticeable by those I'm speaking to (my parents and my wife excepted - with them I've given up trying to mask it).

Anyway, the speech therapist was very nice. She was a young woman from Australia who helped me to understand a lot about the possible reasons why people stutter, etc. As was typical when I was a child though, my stuttering with the speech therapist was none-existent. Quite irritatingly, I was perfectly fluent when speaking to her.

The speech therapist told me about the Camperdown Program used in Australia. Has anyone heard of this? She told me that, iirc, it's somewhat contradictory to the Irish preferred method of battling stuttering in that the Camperdown Program encourages the person to stop stuttering, whereas the Irish methodology is to simply let the stutter be. (I think I've got that right, apologies for not putting it very well).

Anyway, I'm just having a search on Google now, see what comes up. I've found one link, so if anyone's interested in having a look..
    http://www3.fhs.usyd.edu.au/asrcwww/treatment/camperdown.htm

Advertisement