Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to give the child first mobile phone?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

What age did you/will you give the child their first mobile?

My sister gave her kids phones at 10 which I think is early but then it's handy as at that age they go and come pretty much as they please.
    If the phone is set up only to allow calls OUT/IN from the phone book I don't really see an issue. A prepay will let you monitor the costs.

I've also seen phones with "low radiation" but the phone looks kinda silly.

I know a lot of answers will be "when they're old enough to sleep over at friends" which I agree with.

Age 51 votes

0% 0 votes
    5% 3 votes
    27% 14 votes
    13% 7 votes
    Other
    52% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My opinion is that my daughter can have a mobile when she's old enough to pay for it herself. We'll see if that changes as she grows up though, she's only 10 months old at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Its not so much the phone but the access it gives them to other things, some kids have phones at 6/7 I think this is way to young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Niether of mne have one currently they do not have the need for one, if and when they do it will be discussed currently the bar is set at 15/16 at which stage I expect them to be going off for the day but it will be renewed as when it's needed, it's not a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Have you seen the Firefly from O2 . . http://www.fireflymobile.ie/original-firefly.aspx

No texting, No downloading, you can restrict numbers to the phone book or to just the specified numbers for mum and dad and all changes are controlled by parental pin number..

I think this is a great option for kids of the 10/11 age where you want to give them access to but without the complete exposure of mobile phones

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah saw that but thought 70 euro is a bit steep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

From what I've seen most children in my sons classes got mobile phones for their communion. I didn't follow that trend though.

I told mine that they could get one when they made their confirmation. However when my older lad was 10 I surprised him with one for christmas. The change came about because of practical reasons.

He used to travel to other counties to matches with his club and being given an estimated time of return back to the club house and they arriving up to 90 mins later I decided he could have a phone and it's worked fine for us since then as he can text me about 10 mins before they arrive back. No more sitting for up to 2 hours in the cold and the convenience is so handy.

He doesn't use his phone a lot and is very sensible with it and doesn't squander his credit which he pays for himself. It can also be used as a discipline tool such as confiscating it if he's been a bit of a toe rag.

At the same time that he got his first mobile phone his granny gave our younger lad (8 at the time) her old mobile phone. Just a word of caution when it comes to giving an old phone to children, even though a new sim card was inserted the phone still stores old text messages and list of calls etc. I don't have any dealing with my MIL ;) and I found out some info that she wouldn't have wanted me knowing plus there were some rude jokes as well. He doesn't use the phone a lot but sometimes listens to music on it or to access MSN with his friends.

I do have rules in place and so far they've been very good and responsible with their phones.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Niether of mne have one currently they do not have the need for one, if and when they do it will be discussed currently the bar is set at 15/16 at which stage I expect them to be going off for the day but it will be renewed as when it's needed, it's not a toy.

wow I think you will be doing well keeping them away from the phone up to 13 but good luck with it .

Have you seen the Firefly from O2 . . http://www.fireflymobile.ie/original-firefly.aspx

No texting, No downloading, you can restrict numbers to the phone book or to just the specified numbers for mum and dad and all changes are controlled by parental pin number..

I think this is a great option for kids of the 10/11 age where you want to give them access to but without the complete exposure of mobile phones

sounds like the right job I think 70 is ok if your getting what you waant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've no intention of giving either of mine a phone at any stage. There's no reason for them to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When they able to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Hi guys, I'm sixteen and here's what I think!

I got my first mobile phone on my 15th birthday. My friends had their's since they were about 10! The thing I dislike the most about mobile phones is that they're so impersonal to the people around you. You could be sitting in the same room as your sister or brother, or walking up town, and your head is bent down staring at you mobile, fiddling your fingers on buttons! You become detatched from society in a way, but moreso from your family.

That's the first thing I dislike about them, the second being the danger of text bullying. I know a few kids in my school and they were bullied by some other girls getting their numbers and harrassing them. It was horrible, it truly was. The girls that were bullied had to move schools, and the bullies were punished. There's always the danger of that, and it's a very real possibility.

There's also the cost. Texts generally will cost alot, so too will calls, not to mention all the downloads they could buy. You'll be paying for that!

However, the most important thing to consider when thinking about getting a phone for your child, is how responsible they are. Kids could be pranksters etc. and you'd be amazed at what we can do with phones(not me personally!) As I said above, I was 15 and responsible when I got my phone. It's all about responsibilty and how much you trust them with a phone.

Hope this helped!:)

Mayoegian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Texts only cost 5c with 3. My children pay for their own credit.

As someone in their mid 40's bullying has always existed and when I was a child those who wanted could still bully via the landline. There were plenty of other ways to bully if one so wished.

Responsibility does play a big part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

deisemum wrote: »
    Texts only cost 5c with 3. My children pay for their own credit.

As someone in their mid 40's bullying has always existed and when I was a child those who wanted could still bully via the landline. There were plenty of other ways to bully if one so wished.

Responsibility does play a big part.

Bullying has always existed, but not to the same, intense degree as today. Texts, multimedia messaging, emails, all that contributes much more to bullying than yesteryear.

So bullying should play a massive role in deciding whether to buy a phone for your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I guess whenever he's going somewhere that I don't exactly where he is. Or more that he's not in a place with a phone.

When he's old enough to go into town by himself, or to a football match or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Most of my kids friends have phones from about the age of 9...

I had decided that I would not give my eldest a phone until he was about 15 but ended up giving him one at 12 years old.

We live in a rural setting and he travels to school some 25 miles away by train so it was decided to give him one when he started secondary school. Handy if the train is late and he needs to call us or if he misses the train which he has done on several occassions due to his sports training.

It is also important for him to be able to communicate with his mates since we live so far away from his school.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've had a phone since 4th or 5th class. I used to go to an after-school place until 5th class and did loads of extra curricular activities so if I'd be late home or my parents would be late picking me up it was really handy to stop both of us worrying. I guess don't set a limit on what age you'll get your kid a phone, buy one when you think they'll need one.

Most of my kids friends have phones from about the age of 9...

I had decided that I would not give my eldest a phone until he was about 15 but ended up giving him one at 12 years old.

We live in a rural setting and he travels to school some 25 miles away by train so it was decided to give him one when he started secondary school. Handy if the train is late and he needs to call us or if he misses the train which he has done on several occassions due to his sports training.

It is also important for him to be able to communicate with his mates since we live so far away from his school.......

wow a school that allows students have mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I got a phone when I was in 5th class. Really handy actually.
    If you're going to give a child a phone, try to keep it basic. I know they're hard to find, but try to give the child a phone that does not support pictures/videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

fintonie - most schools don't allow phones during school but the vast majority will allow kids have the phones for pre and after school activities. They must be turned off in their lockers, etc. the usual fine for being caught with they are confiscated and an adult must collect the phone - fine is usually 20e to the charity box. With unreliable bus services, its almost impossible for us to go even a week before a call to collect one of them from bus stop or school.

oh well wrote: »
    fintonie - most schools don't allow phones during school but the vast majority will allow kids have the phones for pre and after school activities. They must be turned off in their lockers, etc. the usual fine for being caught with they are confiscated and an adult must collect the phone - fine is usually 20e to the charity box. With unreliable bus services, its almost impossible for us to go even a week before a call to collect one of them from bus stop or school.
    a

Yep there here now and there not going go away, Im sure they have help plenty of people in a sticky situation and will in the future,

nothing can be done now but I do think they have changed the way kids think and act, most of it not for the good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

10ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i believe 14/15 depending on maturity of the child. they become pretty independent by then so its only natural that they want to call friends and stuff.
    child tracking facility

i thought that was illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thaedydal wrote: »

Sorry, that's way too late. If anyone I know had not had a phone at 15, they would have been at a serious disadvantage, as well as being a social outcast. And I mean laughed out of school. I got my first phone at 12 and I was one of the last, even 8 years ago.

12-14 at the very latest. Once a kid is mature enough it's fine no matter what age they are; if that's at 10 or 11 then so be it. They're dirt cheap and if you put it in your name then you can monitor every call individually if you like.

I despise parents who stubornly control their kids with the idea that they should not have a phone till 16 just because the parents survived without them. Times have changed, in fact it's sometimes the parents who need to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

sdonn wrote: »
    Sorry, that's way too late. If anyone I know had not had a phone at 15, they would have been at a serious disadvantage, as well as being a social outcast. And I mean laughed out of school. I got my first phone at 12 and I was one of the last, even 8 years ago.

12-14 at the very latest. Once a kid is mature enough it's fine no matter what age they are; if that's at 10 or 11 then so be it. They're dirt cheap and if you put it in your name then you can monitor every call individually if you like.

I despise parents who stubornly control their kids with the idea that they should not have a phone till 16 just because the parents survived without them. Times have changed, in fact it's sometimes the parents who need to grow up.

I think it completely depends on the child. Even if you have a phone you could be a social outcast! Maybe the kids don't want mobiles yet? I had a phone at 12. Only because I bought it myself out of my confirmation money. I was the first person in my class to have a phone, and I didn't have anybody to text/phone!! I only kept the thing because I was going to school far away and the bus was not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

once they begin first year. easier to keep in contact with new friends ect who dont live near by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

sdonn wrote: »

Yes times have changed from even when you were in school, they both have xbox live accounts and play with their friends online ( and use the voice chat ), they both have club penguin accounts and play with friends on there and they have gmail accounts all of which they access on their own pcs and we monitor the accounts.

They are not being restricted in communicating or taking part in the social networking with their peers by not having a phone at age 11.

It has nothing to do with controlling them or having not grown up with or with out a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sarahwhyte

in my opinion i think that if you need to be in contact with your children then they need a phone. end of. at the end of the day it is only a phone once it is being monitored it is not doing any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I think that the start of secondary school is probably a good time, depending on the child, unless of course for practical reasons they need one before then (due to sports etc as mentioned above.) Of course, if they're not actively looking for one, I think it would be best to hold off giving them one for as long as possible!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think most primary kids want a phone to "keep up", if you offered them a firefly they'd laugh at it -and you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

sdonn has a point though. You really won't find a teenager at 15/16 that doesn't have a phone or at least it won't be common. I know there's a risk of bullying and stuff and that's really bad, but you can't shield your child forever. The positives also outweigh the negatives.

Whenever the kid can handle the phone (as others have said) is the best time to give it to them. Maybe the summer before they go into secondary. That way they keep in touch with primary school friends who go to different schools and it won't be such a novelty come September, no (or not as much :P) hassle of them texting in class or anything. I'm sorry but anything younger than 11 (unless necessary as the examples above about training and stuff) is a bit excessive. They shouldn't be looked as a treat or toy.

Advertisement