Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to give the child first mobile phone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

12 / 13 is fine I think.

Anything after that and they will be getting bullied for not having one in my opinion.

Of course the use of the phone should be monitored but you try getting a phone off a 12 / 13 year old who's getting into the world of boys / girls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We gave our eldest her first phone at 10. It was mainly because she was spending so much time in friends houses and we felt that she was mature enough to pay for it herself which we`ve found that shes quite capable of doing.Shes smart enough to work it out so that she manages to have her 10 euros for other things than credit.
    She gets 10 euros a week for her pay and out of that she buys her credit.Shes on meteor so she saves for 2 weeks,to top up by 20 so that she has free calls to both of us for a month.Then she runs down her 20 credit and then starts again with a 20 top up.So shes really only topping up once every 6 or 7 weeks.

Its a godsend her having the phone tbh especially for my wife with the 2 younger ones at home,even if shes only looking for her to come home for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

neighbours wouldn't give their daughter a mobile saying she didn't need it. After many arguments, daughter gave in and got an old one from a friend (turns out it was my daughter) so she could keep in touch with her friends. She bought the credit herself from her pocket money. She was being made a social outcast cos she never knew when the gang were going to movies, friends houses, etc. Kids that age send out group txts about their social activities - if you don't answer the gang will go ahead without you. Most kids won't go to the bother of ringing a landline - not cool, too much hassle (imagine if an adult answered !!!).

Anyway, teenagers will find a way around it if you won't provide them with a phone, teaching them almost to be devious. Everyone knew this girl had a phone except the parents. You don't need a phone to be bullied - not having one is almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

wayhey wrote: »
    sdonn has a point though. You really won't find a teenager at 15/16 that doesn't have a phone or at least it won't be common. I know there's a risk of bullying and stuff and that's really bad, but you can't shield your child forever. The positives also outweigh the negatives.

Posts like that confirm my suspicion that though I'm not a parent (and hopefull not for a long while!), the contribution of someone like myself who is very close in age to a kid, and still one at heart, yet mature enough to contribute with hindsight is crucially important to a forum like this.

Maybe the phone thing should be judged partially on whether most of the friends have them. If more than 30% of close group have phones, I'd be getting the kid one regardless of how you feel as they'll be left out of things as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If 30% of my childrens friends/peers had tatoos or belly buton pericings at the age of 15 I would not get them for them for the sake of fitting in.

As I was brought up to do and as I will expect my children to raise the topic ask and give good constructive arguments for why they should be allowed and that would before anything they wish to do or want. Everyone who's anyone has one simply is not a good enough reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I got them for my kids at around the 10 -12 mark. now 16 n 19 & I still get them credit once a month of 20 each.

Very handy as Im divorced. Its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

It might sound a bit hippie-ish, but as the jury is out on the effects of mobile phone signals on the body, i have a real problem with children having phones. When I give my son one, it will be for outings only, and not allowed to sleep with it under his pillow as i have heard that most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jinxi wrote: »
    It might sound a bit hippie-ish, but as the jury is out on the effects of mobile phone signals on the body, i have a real problem with children having phones. When I give my son one, it will be for outings only, and not allowed to sleep with it under his pillow as i have heard that most people do.

Neither of my lads keep their phone in their bedroom and only use their phones if they're going somewhere and occasionally to text or msn friends making arrangement as they know the rules in my home.

You know what children with mobile phones can actually be a very good thing in specific cases of child abuse. I know of a case where a primary school pupil sneaked his mobile phone into class and fortunately he wasn't caught with it by his teacher as it later proved critical in a child abuse allegation. His teacher had been abusing him and others and the child managed to record some of the abuse. When the allegation was brought to the principal's attention he threatened the mother that if she didn't drop the allegation he'd report her to social services to have her investigated. He wasn't long changing his mind once the recorded evidence on the mobile phone was produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

My son is 8,almost 9,and has had a mobile since his 8th bday.He rarely uses it,but when he does he buys his own credit,and i feel alot safer letting him out to play knowing i can contact him,or he can ring and let me know if hes going inside a friends house.
    times are changing,i was actually suprised when he had his 8th birthday party,and all his friends pulled out their mobiles to take pictures of him blowing out his candles!!!!!!i got his in xtra vision for 40 euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 helloguys

wen they save there own pocket money and the want to buy one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I got my first mobile at age 15, I'm only 21 now so it wasn't that long ago, and I didn't suffer because of it. My parents are what some may call conservative, I wasn't allowed to drive until I turned 21. And the "just because everyone else is doing it I have to" mantra I would think is not one parents are looking to encourage.

Yes, I was different because I didn't have a phone, but I was different in alot of other ways too. I was in no way sheltered as a child, I was mature enough to have one at 10, but there was no need. I do think that parents should be very aware of technological bullying, yes bullying has always existed but perviously the bullying stayed outside your door, so to speak.

I know some parents like to have contact with their child via their mobile, and many give their children one for this reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't yet have kids but I figure around 10-12 is an acceptable age for a kid to have a mobile, if I was getting them one at 10 it would be restricted.

I had an intense hatred of mobiles for years, so I only got one when I really had to (went off to college)...I was 19 at the time, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Thaedydal wrote: »

As I was brought up to do and as I will expect my children to raise the topic ask and give good constructive arguments for why they should be allowed and that would before anything they wish to do or want. Everyone who's anyone has one simply is not a good enough reason.

CDfm - Right can I have a constructive argument
    Darling Daughter - But its so cute and pink and Claire would be jealous
    CDfm -Well Ok
    Darling Daughter - I love you Daddy

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 itz me

ive a feisty insistant five yr old who now wants a phone...its bad idea i know and no i havent given in to her...but her daddy nearly has...but not yet...firefly phones are everything in a phone that a child needs...no text no internet and can only ring mam or dad...also the only ppl that can ring the phone is the numbers saved in the phone...i think the parents sayin no to the children aged ten and over are bn silly cause with all the dangers in our society these days a phone could be the lifeline they need....and no i wont get my five yr old a phone yet but when i think she needs one she'll have one no matter the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I gave my daughter her first mobile phone at 9 years of age, TBH the novelty wore off after a week with her.

I had her have her mobile in her school bag for after school so that if she was walking home and I was delayed I could contact her and for her not to worry.

She is now 10 and has her phone on most days, she enjoys listening to music on her phone, Her and her friends swap songs etc..

It is great that she has it when she is out and about so that I can contact her, without having to go out and search around where we live.

Advertisement