Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor on not going to the UFC...

Options
  • 07-08-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

"From my viewpoint, the UFC does not have the proper attitude toward fighters," Emelianenko said. "They do not consider fighters to be normal people, human beings. My feeling is the attitude of UFC toward fighters is not the correct one. And I don't like their policy, which appears to be a really bold one. They offered one thing, and then on the Internet, the number published was something different. The offer we got from them was really miserable."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07082009/58/ufc-strikeforce-battle-lines-drawn.html

I'd have to agree with Fedor with how the fighers are treated - until they make it big.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Yeah, my boll*x

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Good read, cheers. Will be interesting to see how Strikeforce come along, I think UFC having a major (or even a solid minor) competitor is good for everyone.

In fairness, Affliction was never going to last with its crazy ass signing fighter policies, but Cokers been around for awhile and looks to have gone the right route by building up the business slowly and signing decent high profile fighters (Diaz, Shamrock, Cung Lee, Overeem) without breaking the bank. Promoting womens MMA may turn out to be a very smart move also.

They've been ready for a shot at the big leagues for awhile now, I think maybe they could sharpen up their production values a bit more, but as regards getting people to watch their show, the Fedor signing could well be their breakthrough. Sure he was pretty unknown up to a few months ago in the states, but the last few weeks and the Affliction fights may have changed that. I reckon a card with Fedor, Gina Carano and Diaz could do quiet well on a PPV.

M1's involvment on co-promotion is a worry though, anything those guys have gone near has rapidly turned to dust...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I read a similar article here:
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/08/06/fedor-the-offer-we-got-from-the-ufc-was-really-miserable/

I don't think his comments towards the UFC are unfair, but if his main reason for not signing was how they treat fighters then he wouldn't have negotiated with them in the first place.
    And then he says the offer was miserable, not because of co-promotions or branding or anything else, but because of "the number".

Don't get me wrong, I like Fedor, but I really think the guy is damaging his career by going with Strikeforce at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He said this with car alarms and dogs barking in the background. His **** is getting old and Im amazed people still buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Im sick of his crap at this stage, him and his management are full of sh*t

• Advertisement

The press conference was a farce with car alarms going off, dogs barking, long pauses, the promoter being cut off 5 times and them giving out peoples phone numbers etc. It was an hour long but someone on the F4W board edited it down to 7 minutes it is gas:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/0s3g3y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

The number the UFC offered him was miserable is this guy for real and the number Strikeforce offered him was better. Strikeforce couldn't possibly match the UFC's offer. My view and my view only is that Fedor doesn't want to fight in the Octagon and the offer is irrelevant so as I suggested early the UFC needs to move on from this issue but Fedor can't continue to go around and regard himself as the top Heavyweight in the world if he's only willing to join the second promotion and not test himself against the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

roo1981 wrote: »

M1's involvment on co-promotion is a worry though, anything those guys have gone near has rapidly turned to dust...

The m1 challenge is on its second season, and is pretty decent. Not sure how well it is doing for them though in terms of $ . They had the affliction deal to promote that this year (not sure going forward now), but it has to be costing a bit to be staging events, small enough as the events are all over the globe. Shame it doesnt get aired here though , a pal mentioned to me it was shown on Bravo 2 in the UK each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    The number the UFC offered him was miserable is this guy for real and the number Strikeforce offered him was better. Strikeforce couldn't possibly match the UFC's offer. My view and my view only is that Fedor doesn't want to fight in the Octagon and the offer is irrelevant so as I suggested early the UFC needs to move on from this issue but Fedor can't continue to go around and regard himself as the top Heavyweight in the world if he's only willing to join the second promotion and not test himself against the best.

I'd love to see Fedor against Brock - but seriously - the guy has beaten **all** of the previous UFC champs that he fought (easily). The guy has nothing to prove - and he has always taken the stance going back years that the UFC treat thier fighters poorly and pocket the lions share of the takings giving the fighers a pittance in comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Thats a good interview but what he really meant to say was "UFC have alot of really good Heavyweights, and if I fight Brock in my first match I will probably lose and wont be considered the best anymore so I'll take the easy option and not sign". It is getting a bit stupid at this stage. Both UFC and M-1 have made ridiculous claims as to what the offer was and to why the deal wasnt done. I think we have a better chance of seeing Twink v Mike Tyson than we do of seeing Fedor in the UFC

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Fedor against Brock - but seriously - the guy has beaten **all** of the previous UFC champs that he fought (easily). The guy has nothing to prove

Yeah he does, he can easily claim the crown of the best heavyweight in the world but he hasn't a legitimate top contender in the last four years. Tim Sylvia was coming off two losses in a row and an overrated Andrei Arlovski. Fedor is resting on a rep he made a long time ago by MMA standards. Four years ago is almost like another era.
    and he has always taken the stance going back years that the UFC treat thier fighters poorly and pocket the lions share of the takings giving the fighers a pittance in comparison.

How dare UFC run a successful business. I’m not saying UFC is perfect or entirely equitable but Fedor's last company Affliction hardly showed their fighters respect by cancelling their deals with them. Not to mention waiting until Fedor's crew flew in from Russia to tell them the third show is off. YamaMotoYama if you think that this Fedor's primary reasoning for not signing you are deluding yourself. That line in MMA only ever used by fighters to get leverage with a fight promotion and to rally internet fan support such as in the case of Couture and Ortiz when they were on the outs of the UFC.

I'd love to see Fedor against Brock - but seriously - the guy has beaten **all** of the previous UFC champs that he fought (easily). The guy has nothing to prove - and he has always taken the stance going back years that the UFC treat thier fighters poorly and pocket the lions share of the takings giving the fighers a pittance in comparison.

Agreed. Seems to be a lot of people throwing hissy fits that Fedors not signed for the UFC. I dont see the logic of people saying he's dodging UFC HW's...in fairness, in Pride he fought Nog, Crocop, Coleman, Randleman, and Herring, all at their peak. Shilt was also in there (although inexperienced at the time, he was still a monstor and great striker).

At Affliction, he's fought Sylvia and Arlovski (two former UFC champs) and was going to fight Barnett, whos also a top 3-4 HW regardless of roiding. I just dont see fear of UFC HW's being an issue especially since he's trashed 3 (Nog, Crocop and Herring) already.

Without concrete public figures offered by the UFC, its impossible to say which was the better deal for Fedor monetary wise. If Strikeforce and M1 are co-promoting, and M1 are guarenteed 50% of revenue of a card Fedors fighting on (especially if its a PPV), the potential is there for Fedor to rake in big bucks-seeing as he's a part owner of M1. Well worth a chance...and as Yama said, Danas been throwing s*it at Fedor since he was fighting in Pride. Im sure that played a part in the contract talks one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Regardless of money and who he's beat in the past, if he's supposed to be the top heavy weight in the world he should be looking to fight the top heavy weight contenders in the world. He won't be doing that in Strikeforce.

I wouldn't say he's especially dodging anybody but he's not putting anything on the line either.

Agreed. Seems to be a lot of people throwing hissy fits that Fedors not signed for the UFC. I dont see the logic of people saying he's dodging UFC HW's...in fairness, in Pride he fought Nog, Crocop, Coleman, Randleman, and Herring, all at their peak. Shilt was also in there (although inexperienced at the time, he was still a monstor and great striker).

At Affliction, he's fought Sylvia and Arlovski (two former UFC champs) and was going to fight Barnett, whos also a top 3-4 HW regardless of roiding. I just dont see fear of UFC HW's being an issue especially since he's trashed 3 (Nog, Crocop and Herring) already.

Fedor/M1’s primary focus the past few years maintaining and building (more by PR than fights) the legacy Fedor created in time period you are talking about. A possible loss against Lesnar would seriously damage Fedor's legacy. Fedor stands to lose a lot more in a fight against Brock Lesnar as it is the biggest heavyweight in the word, The Last Emperor against a relatively inexperienced fighter who has already lost to Frank Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

rovert wrote: »
    The press conference was a farce with car alarms going off, dogs barking, long pauses, the promoter being cut off 5 times and them giving out peoples phone numbers etc.

Just listened to it.

F*ck me you weren't kidding, that was a mess :eek:!

I'd usually take everything Dana White says with a pinch of salt but I do believe him when he say's the UFC 's offered a big deal. If you watch his recent phone conference you can see how genuinely pissed he was about the whole affair

If you look at it objectively Fedors got a set three fight contract-StrikeForce can at least offer him 2 of those fights against top ten HW's, as per sherdogs rankings below. (Overeem and Rogers)

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-18558

Third fight is up for grabs, lets see who they bring in. On the other hand, going to the UFC would give him Lesnar (the one that everyone wants to see, including myself) Carwin, Couture, Nog and Mir. Out of those, i see Lesnar being the most competitive, for obvious reasons, Carwin being on a par with Rogers (similar record and style, but with better wrestling) and Couture and Mir recieving bad, bad beatings. Nog, he's beaten twice (or is it 3 times) so theres no real point in going through that again.
    Fedor/M1’s primary focus the past few years maintaining and building (more by PR than fights) the legacy Fedor created in time period you are talking about. A possible loss against Lesnar would seriously damage Fedor's legacy. Fedor stands to lose a lot more in a fight against Brock Lesnar as it is the biggest heavyweight in the word, The Last Emperor against a relatively inexperienced fighter who has already lost to Frank Mir.

Fedors legacy is cemented with pretty much whatever happens at this stage-i think thats been his point all along. True may have more to lose rep wise with UFC fans, but his past cant be doubted. Anyway Lesnars pretty much proven himself as a legit HW with his last two wins, so I dont really see any problem with losing to him.

Best case scenario is of course still possible-Fedor and Lesnar both go their next 3 fights undefeated, Lesnar gets more experience and legitamicy, and Fedor gets more US (and cage) exposure, we go through this whole arguement again a year or two down the line when both their contracts are up.

Fedors legacy is cemented with pretty much whatever happens at this stage-i think thats been his point all along. True may have more to lose rep wise with UFC fans, but his past cant be doubted. Anyway Lesnars pretty much proven himself as a legit HW with his last two wins, so I dont really see any problem with losing to him.

More so than any other sport MMA fans are extremely fickle. A fighter can win 15 fights in a row then lose once and fans will drop them like a hot **** and say he was never any good in the first place.

The primary asset to Fedor's legacy is that he is undefeated and that is something that I don’t think M1 wants to risk.
    Best case scenario is of course still possible-Fedor and Lesnar both go their next 3 fights undefeated, Lesnar gets more experience and legitamicy, and Fedor gets more US (and cage) exposure, we go through this whole arguement again a year or two down the line when both their contracts are up.

Ive read a number of people say that Fedor going to Strikeforce is an attempt to boost his value in North America before finally signing with UFC. So this scenario may end up being true.

Personally I think the timing of Fedor signing to Strikeforce is curious PR wise as his management had to do something to quell the backlash from fans last week as UFC did such a good job of positioning themselves as the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

M-1's released a new promo shot of Fedor

puppet-on-a-string.jpg

How dare UFC run a successful business.

So you are saying that paying an undercard fighter $2k for 12 weeks of fight training and a fight is a good business model (and fair)... do you have a child workers in a sweat shop in your back garden by any chance! :p

M-1's released a new promo shot of Fedor

puppet-on-a-string.jpg

You are aware that Fedor is 50% owner of M-1.... right!?

• Advertisement

50%?? I knew he was part owner not co owner. Are you sure it's 50%??

So you are saying that paying an undercard fighter $2k for 12 weeks of fight training and a fight is a good business model (and fair)... do you have a child workers in a sweat shop in your back garden by any chance! :p
    He said successful, not fair. And yes if i ran a business that made that much profit then yes I would consider it a good business model tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rugger7

I was disappointed when I found out he wasn't going, but not surprised. Apparently his mangement wanted to co-promote his fights, or something like that, which I think is asking a bit much.

No, did you read what I said.

Anyway when is the last time UFC paid an undercard fighter that?

It is better then paying Ben Rothwell 250k a fight and going bust.

Source?

Ive never heard him owning more than 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

M-1 having to seek a new venue for their next show because they forgot to apply for a promoter's licence is the sort of thing that makes you wonder why they ever thought that the UFC would agree to let them help promote a show with them

Fozzy wrote: »
    M-1 having to seek a new venue for their next show because they forgot to apply for a promoter's licence is the sort of thing that makes you wonder why they ever thought that the UFC would agree to let them help promote a show with them

That sent (car) alarms ringing for me. :pac:

Advertisement