Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Garda guidelines out yet?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

As per title please :)

Or at least I assume they are publishing guidelines to complete the application forms.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

johngalway wrote: »

Or at least I assume they are publishing guidelines to complete the application forms.

ATB,

John
    If they were, it would instantly be the biggest thread with the most views :D

Watch for sudden activity on this forum. There's a sort of flocking effect within minutes of something important being posted. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

rrpc wrote: »
    There's a sort of flocking effect within minutes of something important being posted. ;)

Don't use the flocking word around some of the shot-gun boys here. We'll all be pullin buckshot from our a**!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

rrpc wrote: »
    If they were, it would instantly be the biggest thread with the most views :D

Watch for sudden activity on this forum. There's a sort of flocking effect within minutes of something important being posted. ;)

True enough, I was just wondering in case it may have gone by another name and had been sat here somewhere staring at me in the face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DMZ

ATB,

John

The Guidelines are currently with the AG's Office, not anticipated to be published in less than 2 weeks.

Another little gem, the original SI on restricted firearms is currenlty being amended, I wonder what little surprises are in store for us when that publishes.

Of course the original SI was a mess, but it would be too much to expect an improved document I would expect more draconian and unreasonable definitions or perhaps they might be integrating the *tsa list of olympic style pistols!

Least I get sanctioned for the above statement, it is a factual statement of concern, the list has been circulated and well know, I would be concerned that it would now be integrated into the new restricted list SI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good, makes up my mind to bung the shottie and try and get it off the restricted radar.

I presume we've to wait the fortnight to see the guidelines then before completing the forms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DMZ wrote: »
    The Guidelines are currently with the AG's Office, not anticipated to be published in less than 2 weeks.
    Actually, the DoJ are hoping they'll be on the Garda website early next week.

Sparks wrote: »
    Actually, the DoJ are hoping they'll be on the Garda website early next week.

Actually a colleague of mine was told by the Gardai (policy unit) that the earliest they expect them is 2 weeks from now! No matter really seems we can do nothing until they come out, can't understand why you feel it necessary to score points on this we are all on the same side, are we not!

Not scoring points DMZ, just passing on what the DoJ said to pass on.
    And you're fast on the accusation of point-scoring for a guy who just posted three seperate times trying to stir up the ISSF-vs-IPSC stuff again.

Sparks wrote: »
    Not scoring points DMZ, just passing on what the DoJ said to pass on.
    And you're fast on the accusation of point-scoring for a guy who just posted three seperate times trying to stir up the ISSF-vs-IPSC stuff again.

Not true, I have no interest in stirring things up just a little aprehensive and just because I raise an issue does not mean I am trying to stir up anything between the ISSF and the IPSC, both are international associations I understand so how could I possibly stir someting up between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

DMZ wrote: »
    Not true, I have no interest in stirring things up just a little aprehensive and just because I raise an issue does not mean I am trying to stir up anything
    For someone who is 'apprehensive' and 'concerned' (nice big words them :D) you have great difficulty actually articulating your concerns and apprehensions.

That usually gets the 'stirring sh*t' response from people around here that are used to such ploys from trolls and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

ATB,

John

Any UPDATE on this 1 ???? my eyes are getting sore from flocking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Just spoke to my local station.

They have no specific FO - just whoever is there with most experience.

Anyway - some of them are going on a course tomorrow to learn how to handle new firearms applications. Dropping in on Friday to get the skinny.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

POPULAR QUESTIONS IN RELATION TO NEW FIREARMS LICENSING PROCESSES

Q. What do I do when my current Firearm Certificate expires on 31st July 2009?
    A. Do nothing until you receive a letter from the Garda Commissioner which will extend your current firearms certificate for at least three months and a maximum of twelve months. This extension will be free of charge. You will be informed in the letter when you can apply for a new 3 year firearm certificate under the new legislation
    Q. Will there be a limit on the number of firearms an individual may have licensed?
    A. There is no limit. However, new minimum security standards will now be required of holders of firearm certificates in relation to the provision of secure accommodation for their firearms. The level of security is dependent on the number of firearms certified to an individual.
    Q. Who can apply for Training Certificate? What is the age limit? Can a trainee use any firearm?
    A. Any person over 14 years of age can apply for a firearms training certificate. The training certificate does not entitle the holder to actually own a firearm and the certificate can only apply to a non-restricted firearm. The person must always be under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate in respect of it. The training certificate shall continue in force for 3 years unless revoked.
    Q. Where can I get a new application form for a Firearms Certificate and who do I apply to?
    A. All application forms that apply to the new firearms legislation can be obtained at any Garda Station or on www.garda.ie An application for a non restricted firearm certificate shall be made on form FCA1 to the superintendent of the district where the applicant resides. If the application refers to a restricted firearm, the superintendent shall forward the application to the chief superintendent of that division.
    Q. How much is a new Firearms Certificate and what is its duration?
    A. All new firearms certificates will cost €80 and will remain in force for 3 years from the date it was granted unless revoked. The collection of fees will be outsourced to An Post and no money will now be accepted at Garda Stations for firearms certificates.
    Q. Where can I get more information in relation to Firearm Licensing?
    A. The Garda Commissioner has issued Guidelines as to the practical application and operation on the firearm acts 1925-2009. These Guidelines should be read as an aid to recently enacted firearms legislation, in particular the Criminal Justice Act 2006 and the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions Act) 2009. The Guidelines are available on www.garda.ie
    Q. If I already have a firearms certificate, extended by the Garda
    Commissioner, can I apply for a new firearm certificate for an additional
    firearm during this extended period?
    A. Yes. Any person (including existing firearm certificate holders) may apply for a
    new firearm certificate for a firearm (on form FCA1) under the new legislation
    which came into force on 1st August 2009.
    Q. Is one FCA1 to be completed for each application?
    A. Yes. Each application will require a separate fully completed FCA1 with a
    photo attached to each application.
    Q. Should Gardaí attach copies of passport/driving licence to a completed
    application form?
    A. No. Once the Garda is satisfied with the applicants Identification, by viewing
    passports/ driving licences etc., this will suffice.
    Q. What constitutes Secure Storage for Firearms?
    A. The following which is taken from Statutory Instrument 307/2009 is the
    schedule for Secure Storage;
    Type and number of firearms
    Security standard required
    One non-restricted shotgun.
    The shotgun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use.
    The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    One restricted firearm, or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.
    The firearm(s) should be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which meets BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.
    In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana
    The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.
    Q. Are all PC20 and PC21 Forms now obsolete?
    A. Yes. All PC20’s and PC21’s are now obsolete and are replaced by Forms FCA1 and FCA2.

POPULAR QUESTIONS IN RELATION TO NEW FIREARMS LICENSING PROCESSES

Q. What do I do when my current Firearm Certificate expires on 31st July 2009?
    A. Do nothing until you receive a letter from the Garda Commissioner which will extend your current firearms certificate for at least three months and a maximum of twelve months. This extension will be free of charge. You will be informed in the letter when you can apply for a new 3 year firearm certificate under the new legislation
    Q. Will there be a limit on the number of firearms an individual may have licensed?
    A. There is no limit. However, new minimum security standards will now be required of holders of firearm certificates in relation to the provision of secure accommodation for their firearms. The level of security is dependent on the number of firearms certified to an individual.
    Q. Who can apply for Training Certificate? What is the age limit? Can a trainee use any firearm?
    A. Any person over 14 years of age can apply for a firearms training certificate. The training certificate does not entitle the holder to actually own a firearm and the certificate can only apply to a non-restricted firearm. The person must always be under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate in respect of it. The training certificate shall continue in force for 3 years unless revoked.
    Q. Where can I get a new application form for a Firearms Certificate and who do I apply to?
    A. All application forms that apply to the new firearms legislation can be obtained at any Garda Station or on www.garda.ie An application for a non restricted firearm certificate shall be made on form FCA1 to the superintendent of the district where the applicant resides. If the application refers to a restricted firearm, the superintendent shall forward the application to the chief superintendent of that division.
    Q. How much is a new Firearms Certificate and what is its duration?
    A. All new firearms certificates will cost €80 and will remain in force for 3 years from the date it was granted unless revoked. The collection of fees will be outsourced to An Post and no money will now be accepted at Garda Stations for firearms certificates.
    A. The Garda Commissioner has issued Guidelines as to the practical application and operation on the firearm acts 1925-2009. These Guidelines should be read as an aid to recently enacted firearms legislation, in particular the Criminal Justice Act 2006 and the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions Act) 2009. The Guidelines are available on www.garda.ie
    Q. If I already have a firearms certificate, extended by the Garda
    Commissioner, can I apply for a new firearm certificate for an additional
    firearm during this extended period?
    A. Yes. Any person (including existing firearm certificate holders) may apply for a
    new firearm certificate for a firearm (on form FCA1) under the new legislation
    which came into force on 1st August 2009.
    Q. Is one FCA1 to be completed for each application?
    A. Yes. Each application will require a separate fully completed FCA1 with a
    photo attached to each application.
    Q. Should Gardaí attach copies of passport/driving licence to a completed
    application form?
    A. No. Once the Garda is satisfied with the applicants Identification, by viewing
    passports/ driving licences etc., this will suffice.
    Q. What constitutes Secure Storage for Firearms?
    A. The following which is taken from Statutory Instrument 307/2009 is the
    schedule for Secure Storage;
    Type and number of firearms
    Security standard required
    One non-restricted shotgun.
    The shotgun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use.
    The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    One restricted firearm, or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.
    The firearm(s) should be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which meets BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.
    In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana
    The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.
    Q. Are all PC20 and PC21 Forms now obsolete?
    A. Yes. All PC20’s and PC21’s are now obsolete and are replaced by Forms FCA1 and FCA2.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/POPULAR%20QUESTIONS%20IN%20RELATION%20TO%20FIREARMS%20AAPPLICATIONS%202.pdf

Thanks JR, but those aren't the Guidelines, they're the same frequently asked questions that are listed in the announcement at the top of all the shooting forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

J.R. wrote: »

It's this bit we're all waiting for....
    Patience running out....

Advertisement