Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americanisms, which one makes you cringe when you hear it?

• 07-08-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Anyone else notice the increasing amount of Americanisms and also Australian isms creeping into Irish peoples conversations? One that i find particularly irritating is "Frickin" :mad: If i met the person that coined that...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What would you do if you met the person that coined that?

I'm guessing very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349097&highlight=americanisms

Anyone else notice the amount of repeated threads that crop up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Awesome !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

fitz0 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349097&highlight=americanisms

No, never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

"My bad" is probably the worst for Pighead. It's a ****ty phrase used by wiesels to wiesel out of proper apologies.

And it's also a pain in the hole for people who engage in 3rd person speak as it turns into "Pighead's bad" which makes it sound like Pighead's suffering from confidence issues and is beating himself up about something when in reality allhe's doing is trying to wiesel out of an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Words that end with "-ism," including "jism."

Pighead wrote: »
    "My bad" is probably the worst for Pighead. It's a ****ty phrase used by wiesels to wiesel out of proper apologies.

And it's also a pain in the hole for people who engage in 3rd person speak as it turns into "Pighead's bad" which makes it sound like Pighead's suffering from confidence issues and is beating himself up about something when in reality allhe's doing is trying to wiesel out of an apology.

Sounds bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Eh? "Frigging" is no Americanism - it's an ancient word!

Comes from the old Latin verb "Fricare" which means to rub, hence "Friction".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

What's that, some sort of weird American animal?

I don't know if it's an Americanism but when people say "gotten" it really annoys me, and I tend to think of it as American usage.

"I could care less" also is typically American. And nonsensical. Grrrr :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I dont know if its an Americanism, but the addition of the word 'much' to form a sentence / rhetorical question when combined with a feeling etc

i.e "Jealous much?"

Grrrr.............................

**Bloody hell, emeraldstar - we posted at nearly the same time, started our sentences with the same statement, and finished off with a 'grr'

How very odd..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

"I know, right?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Sidewalk.

Totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

"You have a nice day now", pretty much means I am going to have a bad one.

Saying "cool" as a one word answer to everthing is also getting very boring.

As for Australian expressions, you gotta love:

"Piss off ya dickhead" and "**** right off mate"

What's that, some sort of weird American animal?
    American? No he's a Romanian human ya big eejit! Elie Wiesel the writer, professor and political activist who was famous for worming out of situations. He was a sneaky and pathetic creature and over the years his name has come to represent anything relating to sneakiness and patheticness.

Anyway, as you were.

"I could care less" also is typically American. And nonsensical. Grrrr :mad:

That pisses me off as well. :mad:

Oh, and the use of the word 'like' to finish off or start nearly every sentence, like.

That really grinds my gears, like. Like, oh my gawd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

fitz0 wrote: »

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

"..and all that jazz."

Wrecks my head so it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

TBH, I find Irishisms more irritating.

• Advertisement

**Bloody hell, emeraldstar - we posted at nearly the same time, started our sentences with the same statement, and finished off with a 'grr'

How very odd..........
    Or else someone's just a big fat copycat :p

Oh another:

"yada yada yada"

American? No he's a Romanian human ya big eejit! Elie Wiesel the writer, professor and political activist who was famous for worming out of situations. He was a sneaky and pathetic creature and over the years his name has come to represent anything relating to sneakiness and patheticness.

Anyway, as you were.
    How very... odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A word which I am beginning to hear a lot more of, and dislike, on American t.v. shows lately is "Euro-trash". I heard it twice yesterday, once on Law & Order and also on either NCIS or CSI, I cant remember which.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Git R' Done
    Y'all
    Whassup
    These all irritate me to death, and I'm an American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

S0crates always points out the paradox when Americans say "I could care less", and enjoys seeing their crestfallen faces when they realise a phrase they have been using all their lives, is in fact, stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

The mantra of our low-life countrymen is also American. "They took ur jabs"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Actually the term Americanism in and of itself makes me slightly ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

When Americans say math its maths ffs,(isnt it??) and also if there in uni or college they insist on saying school makes them sound like teenagers

• Advertisement

How very... odd.
    Wasn't particularly odd really. What is odd is the fact that a donkey will sink in quicksand but a mule won't. Have never been able to figure that one out.

Back on topic, mules are a bit like donkeys.

When Americans say math its maths ffs,(isnt it??) and also if there in uni or college they insist on saying school makes them sound like teenagers

Actually, I'm pretty sure they say maths is math.

Math, it's short for mathematics. We say school because here college and university are interchangeable terms for some reason. Don't ask me why.

Math, it's short for mathematics. We say school because here college and university are interchangeable terms for some reason. Don't ask me why.
    Yeah and "kids" applies to teenagers. Quite silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Normalcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

People who say "mom".

She's your mammy, you plank.

• Advertisement

Yeah and "kids" applies to teenagers. Quite silly really.
    Next person who says tweenager to me is getting punched. You are right though, I'm not sure why we call teenagers kids. Although I'm 32 and my mother still calls me and my siblings her kids.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    People who say "mom".

She's my mother, you poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

"Bro".....i just want to hurt someone when i hear it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm not sure if it's American or not but saying "I heart" something really annoys me. "I heart my new handbag"- it makes no sense.

Oh yeah, and ''awesome".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Girls calling each other lads. Agree with whoever said Bro, also knocked it out of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

winningest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Oh, and the use of the word 'like' to finish off or start nearly every sentence, like.

That really grinds my gears, like. Like, oh my gawd.
    Don't go to cork! They even type it on cork messageboards.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    People who say "mom".

Mammy?:D Sorry, but it's mam or ma.

Salvelinus wrote: »
    Girls calling each other lads.
    That's not American! That got Galway written all over it. It's usually good looking fat ginger Galway girls who use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Quint wrote: »
    Don't go to cork! They even type it on cork messageboards.

Mammy?:D Sorry, but it's mam or ma.

Mumsie, you ruffian! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Anyone else notice the increasing amount of Americanisms and also Australian isms creeping into Irish peoples conversations? One that i find particularly irritating is "Frigging" :mad: If i met the person that coined that...

Do you mean ''frickin'" as in ''frickin' sweet!" Because ''frigging'' is an old word from this side of the Atlantic, been used for ages.

I hate ''frickin'", "awesome" and ''it really bugs me''. And they way they pronounce ''schedule'' as ''shedule''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

"It is what it is"

"sweet deal"
    Also pronouncing route like "row-tet"
    grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I hate when they make words longer for no reason. The most annoying one I heard was in a documentary featuring some Christians, one said
    "I hope you don't think I'm taking the Bible literalistically".

I hate ''frickin'", "awesome" and ''it really bugs me''. And they way they pronounce ''schedule'' as ''shedule''.

Yeah, it really bugs me when someone messes up my frickin' awesome shedule. Like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Oh, yeah, and I really hate "My bad!"

Especially when my younger brother started using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yeah, it really bugs me when someone messes up my frickin' awesome shedule. Like.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement