Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americanisms, which one makes you cringe when you hear it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Hard to describe but the only way is through example.. when they pronounce things "YouTube"..They say it as Youtoob but we say it as Youchube.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Kudos to Manic Moran for clarifiying the origins of certain words, (s)he's like the referee of this thread!

the use of "movie". (Is that an Americanism?) You're Irish, it's a fillum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

(s)he's like

Excellent usage!

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

eightyfish wrote: »
    I hate when they make words longer for no reason. The most annoying one I heard was in a documentary featuring some Christians, one said

That's not necessarily American - just plain stupid. My boss is from Wexford and comes up with gems like "literalistically" and "importancy" quite frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hard to describe but the only way is through example.. when they pronounce things "YouTube"..They say it as Youtoob but we say it as Youchube.

Learn how to say Tree as well, while youre at that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The way they pronounce oregano, or-eh-gano... does my nut in. I have a friend who inexplicably pronounces it like this... what a wierdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats a really silly thing to get upset about. I can understand where people come from when they want to make a rant against Shotguns and Nascar, but S's and Z's?

The reason I hate it so much is because it shows where people are learning how to spell. Not in schools,that's for sure.

Edit: just to clarify,I understand that those are the American spelling of those words,and I have no problem with that. It just irritates me that Irish people who are taught with s's and u's are more influenced by the American spellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

"Hold the mayo"

I can see why you fat hallion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

rubadub wrote: »

I hate the sight of a bunch of "jocks" (another term I hate!) going "USA USA USA" at sporting events, or anything!

Much better to see a bunch of Irish beerbellies going "Olé, Olé Olé Olééééé"

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Cellphone!! Have heard it been used here its a frickin mobile!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Cellphone!! Have heard it been used here its a frickin mobile!!!!
    Cell(ular)(tele)phone. The term comes from cellular communication towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Novella wrote: »
    I actually just came back from New York the other day and that's where I heard it! :)

Another one is : "OH MY GOD! You guys are Irish?! I have always wanted to visit there, it looks so beautiful! My family are actually Irish!".

Thats A Classic! Nearly Every American I Have Talking Too Have 'Irish Roots'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Mein roots are German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

I hate the way they write the date backwards (ie 02/28/09 instead of 28/02/09) and also while on dates are Americans so fooking lazy that they cant prononuce the "and" when talking about years (ie two thousand eight instead of two thousand AND eight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

tallus wrote: »
    Idiots who say Axe instead of Ask.

Now that really grinds my gears! :D

you'll find that it is usually African-Americans who will say "axe" instead of "ask". I think it is something to do with their African genes. I discovered this when I heard a Nigerian guy who had never been to the US say "axe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

the way Americans pronounce Iraq, like "eye-raq", or even worse , The Eye-Raq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Anywho or anyhoo

My bad.

Anything said in high rising terminal/moronic interogative/home and away speak?

bop1977 wrote: »
    I hate the way they write the date backwards (ie 02/28/09 instead of 28/02/09) and also while on dates are Americans so fooking lazy that they cant prononuce the "and" when talking about years (ie two thousand eight instead of two thousand AND eight).
    WE WRITE THE DATES BACKWARDS! You're the ones who write dates backwards. Month/Day/Year makes the most sense. We're not lazy about pronouncing years either, we just don't like wasting syllables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Month/Day/Year makes the most sense.

How does that make more sense?
    Days make months, months make years. It's a continual thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I hear the Book of Kelly's is awesome! :D

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    How does that make more sense?
    Days make months, months make years. It's a continual thing.
    The actual day matters little without knowing the month first.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Burglarized.
    My house was burglarized last night.

Well I'm glad you gimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Not actually anything that people say, but there's horse racing on on the telly in the living room and as I walked past, I thought I caught a glimpse of cheerleaders. I actually had to go in and rewind just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Fucking cheerleaders at the fucking races... FFS...

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Not actually anything that people say, but there's horse racing on on the telly in the living room and as I walked past, I thought I caught a glimpse of cheerleaders. I actually had to go in and rewind just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Fucking cheerleaders at the fucking races... FFS...
    Fine, but we still don't have cheerleaders at our hockey games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

All of them. Dude has to be the worst.

• Advertisement

All of them. Dude has to be the worst.
    I has a firm rule:
    Unless you are a surfer from California, I will hurt you for saying dude or dudette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I has...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

hate when americans say bamf especially when talking about themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mahou wrote: »
    Well I'm glad you gimp.
    Theres another, due to Tarantino, "ohhh, you said I have a bad leg, what a slagging."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The actual day matters little without knowing the month first.

And the month doesn't matter without knowing the year!

DD-MM-YYYY
    or
    YYYY-MM-DD

None of this MM DD YYYY crap, thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MDY hurts my brain. ill gladly accept July 31, 2009 but when youre going off for integers please: 31-7-2009

thats something to actually be annoyed with. Like today, is it 8/8/09 or 8/8/09? Then tomorrow its either going to be September 8th or August 9th :confused:

oh and the mispelling of cheque. I gladly accept theres too much confusion between Check and Check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

I came in to post the exact same thing! Hate this.. Its like theyre speaking with an American accent now!! :mad:

enner43 wrote: »
    I came in to post the exact same thing! Hate this.. Its like theyre speaking with an American accent now!! :mad:
    So I can be annoyed when you speak with an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

Agreeance...It's not a word..The word is agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

When people say "and then some". Is that an Americanism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ste.phen wrote: »
    DD-MM-YYYY
    or
    YYYY-MM-DD

None of this MM DD YYYY crap, thank you very much!
    Yes, they way they do it makes no sense. It would be like saying I ran a marathon and it took me 25minutes 3 hours and 12 seconds.

I remember my boss thought 9/11 took place in november!

All the ones on the likes of ricky lake drive me mad.
    "you GO GURLLL!"
    "talk to the hand", or sticking up the hand and making that noise, "umm UMMM"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

WE WRITE THE DATES BACKWARDS! You're the ones who write dates backwards. Month/Day/Year makes the most sense. We're not lazy about pronouncing years either, we just don't like wasting syllables.

since when did the word "and" become a syllable??

the correct meaning from a dictionary you stupid yank.:D

–noun 1. an uninterrupted segment of speech consisting of a center of relatively great sonority with or without one or more accompanying sounds of relatively less sonority: “Man,” “eye,” “strength,” and “sixths” are English words of one syllable.
    2. one or more written letters or characters representing more or less exactly such an element of speech.
    3. the slightest portion or amount of speech or writing; the least mention: Do not breathe a syllable of all this.

–verb (used with object) 4. to utter in syllables; articulate.
    5. to represent by syllables.

–verb (used without object) 6. to utter syllables; speak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unless I'm missing something, all three definitions for the noun seem to indicate that "and" is, in fact, a syllable in addition to its being a word.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

There are so many thing s wrong with this I don't even know where to start!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Since when did Jelly turn into Jell-o? And since when did jam turn into jelly?

Makes no frickin' sense like..... Oh fook..... I showed a bit too much American there.

What I meant to say was.... Feckin' hoorin' shower of bastards!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

I think that it's time the Americans adopted a language of their own, instead of insisting to the world that they speak English, and then abiding by none of the rules or spelling.

I hate "the use of the word "showcased" when they mean "shown". I mean to say, I can at least understand when someone shortens a word, but to make it longer,...???. Where's the sense in that. It peaked when Ronny Reagan stated that he would "Desk top" some document or another., but then again poor old Ronny did have an excuse.

I dunno about Ireland, but here in Australia, even radio and TV announcers are saying "for free" when they just mean "free". "You can get it for free" ??? Weird....

Let them bugger up their own language and we'll bugger up our own.

ozzirt wrote: »
    I think that it's time the Americans adopted a language of their own, instead of insisting that they speak English, and then abiding by none of the rules or spelling.

I hate "the use of the word "showcased" when they mean "shown". I mean to say, I can at least understand when someone shortens a word, but to make it longer,...???. Where's the sense in that.

I dunno about Ireland, but here in Australia, even radio and TV announcers say "for free" when they just mean "free". "You can get it for free" ???
    We have our own language. We call it American English

We have our own language. We call it American English
    from The US Constitution online:
    Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language. http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_lang.html
    Like I said th first time, "It's time you got a language of your own instead of buggering up someone else's".

Just what hind of word is buggering anyway I know what the meaning is but that seema a little bit ghey

Just what hind of word is buggering anyway I know what the meaning is but that seema a little bit ghey
    I'm glad you asked that,.... as it further demonstrates why you should get your own language. It's an English word, a language that you don't seem to understand.

Another word I dislike is "gay" when they actually mean "homosexual".

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

It is gay cyberwolf - hence the reference to sodomy. However, it can also mean a contemptible or pitiable person or a person with few redeeming characteristics. Personally, I prefer the sodomy definition. Give me an S, give me an O, give me a D...etc..

ozzirt wrote: »
    I'm glad you asked that,.... as it further demonstrates why you should get your own language. It's an English word, a language that you don't seem to understand.

Another word I dislike is "gay" when they actually mean "homosexual".
    See, I understand English perfectly well. Just in my country we don't throw around the use of sodomy as an insult. We prefer to refer to the offensive party as a portion of the anatomy instead. Get it you microcephalic rectum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I hate "Go figure"

Aswell,when some American people who happen to be older than you, call you "Kid". eg 42 tear old man saying to 38 year old married couple, "Are you kids having fun?"

And sticking the word "Also" at the start or end of a sentence, instead of the middle.

eg. Car A is black, car B is also black - correct
    Car A is black. Also, car B is black - WRONG
    Car A is black, car B is black also - WRONG

And why isn't the official language of America not one of the native american languages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Acacia wrote: »
    I hate ''frickin'", "awesome" and ''it really bugs me''. And they way they pronounce ''schedule'' as ''shedule''.

Schedule is correctly pronouced as "shed-ule" Americans pronounce is "sked-ule"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

"Get Some"
    "Then some"
    "Frikin A"

All grind my gears but I really hate when they address me as "Hey Irish".

Usually respond with something like "Yes, trailer park"

Advertisement