Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americanisms, which one makes you cringe when you hear it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

After a particilarly poor attempt at sarcasm/comedy that no-one got an American will say "I was being ironic/ironical".......please don't make me hurt you :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

And why isn't the official language of America not one of the native american languages?
    Which one:namap.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

waraf wrote: »
    After a particilarly poor attempt at sarcasm/comedy that no-one got an American will say "I was being ironic/ironical".......please don't make me hurt you :mad::mad:
    That's why I explain that I was speaking ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

Microcephalic rectum - Come on cyberwolf..Let's face it, you don't really insult people with medically defined parts of the anatomy now, do you?

Westdogg wrote: »
    Microcephalic rectum - Come on cyberwolf..Let's face it, you don't really insult people with medically defined parts of the anatomy now, do you?
    No my language tends to be a little more down to earth. Just trying not to offend anyone else with my Americanisms if I can help it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Which one:namap.gif

Any of them! Teach them as per state

Any of them! Teach them as per state
    Should I point out that most of those languages have no actual living speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

You taking a lone stance on behalf of the rest of your American brothers Cyberwolf? In the face of some very heated opposition I see. Personally, I really hate ironical and agreeance as there are two perfectly good words out there already to cover both of these so I don't see why 2 more need to be invented. Maybe it just happened as a result of stupid (famous) people trying to sound smart who fuc@ed it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Should I point out that most of those languages have no actual living speakers.

You should indeed. I didnt know that, its sad. Where are there living speakers left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I have an irrational hatred of the word 'frickin'. I know someone who, over the past few months, has begun to pepper her every sentence with that bloody word. I cringe.

• Advertisement

Westdogg wrote: »
    You taking a lone stance on behalf of the rest of your American brothers Cyberwolf? In the face of some very heated opposition I see.
    I shall do my best to defend my people's right to mangle language. Although alot of the words and phrases mentioned herein piss me right the f*** off anyway. I won't be fighting on their behalf.
    You should indeed. I didnt know that, its sad. Where are there living speakers left?
    Scattered here and there. yes, my country did do some horrible things in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

rubadub wrote: »
    I hate the sight of a bunch of "jocks" (another term I hate!) going "USA USA USA" at sporting events, or anything!
    That used to really confuse me when I was watching US tv programmes as a child. Someone would say "John is such a jock" and I'd think "But he doesn't have a Scottish accent." Someone else would say that they hated all jocks and I'd think "That's very racist."
    el_weirdo wrote: »
    Not actually anything that people say, but there's horse racing on on the telly in the living room and as I walked past, I thought I caught a glimpse of cheerleaders. I actually had to go in and rewind just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Fucking cheerleaders at the fucking races... FFS...
    Sounds great to me. The world needs more cheerleaders, at everything, everywhere: Dáil debates, confirmations, disciplinary hearings, funerals, etc.
    Just look: http://escoben.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/megan-fox-jennifers-body-6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

"high street"

oh wait....

Give me 'downtown' anyday to that imposition from British stores that arrived here in the past few years.

"Like" is easily the worst Americanism going. People are now using it so much they aren't even aware of its "Valley girl" origins.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "Like" is easily the worst Americanism going. People are now using it so much they aren't even aware of its "Valley girl" origins.
    Hate them both. Please continue trashing morons who feel the need to use like for every other word in a sentence.

Where did that utterly inane "you know" come from? It is absolutely incessant in radio and television interviews as well as ordinary conversation today.

No, I don't f ucking know! So stop telling me that I know. Why would I bother listening to you if I actually knew what you were telling me? It would be pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

this thread is gnarly hehehehahahahahaheheh gnarly good1 hahahah:P

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Where did that utterly inane "you know" come from? It is absolutely incessant in radio and television interviews as well as ordinary conversation today.

No, I don't f ucking know! So stop telling me that I know. Why would I bother listening to you if I actually knew what you were telling me? It would be pointless.
    You mean the utterly pointless "y'know". Christ you idiot, I know now that you've told me. Shut up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

waraf wrote: »
    Schedule is correctly pronouced as "shed-ule" Americans pronounce is "sked-ule"
    Well,... I guess that depends which "Skool" you went to. Yeah I know, that's the correct English pronunciation.

See, I understand English American (my correction) perfectly well. Just in my country we don't throw around the use of sodomy as an insult. We prefer to refer to the offensive party as a portion of the anatomy instead. Get it you microcephalic rectum.
    Once again you display your obvious ignorance of the English colloquial language. The term "Bugger up" is quite acceptable, meaning to ruin, spoil or botch, any English speaking person could have told you this.

It seems you are also very sensitive to justified criticism. On each occasion further proving my point that America needs a language of it's own, in this case, so you don't make an even bigger idiot of yourself abusing a person for using the language quite correctly. Each time you misunderstand, you further my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Mac 3

All of them. Dude has to be the worst.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who despised that word. SUV is another one I cant stand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Douche and douchebag.

Why do people here use those terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

People "Mowing their Lawn" and people putting out their "garbage" . I've always liked the surfer language, even if it sounds a bit stonerish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

hmm yes..people who say zee [because it rhymes with V, no-doubt :rolleyes:]

[ed] and the style of speaking when describing something, where the last word in a sentance rises a little, and always sounds like.. a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Anyone else notice the increasing amount of Americanisms and also Australian isms creeping into Irish peoples conversations? One that i find particularly irritating is "Frickin" :mad: If i met the person that coined that...

what would you frickin do if you met that frickin person?

Douche and douchebag.

because they are douches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Like....oh-my-gawd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Although I'm 32 and my mother still calls me and my siblings her kids.
    at what age does she stop being your mother?

erbs
    vytaminns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

For me it has to be "SICK", as in "thats sick", as in brilliant, good or amazing.

Its not ****ing sick, its deadly or its rapih!!!!

Its not sick its perfectly healthy!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The overuse of "whatever" and starting every sentence with "I was like"is extremely irritating. e.g " I was like whatever"

Also that idiotic movement that some people make to indicate inverted comma's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

For me it has to be "SICK", as in "thats sick", as in brilliant, good or amazing.

Its not ****ing sick, its deadly or its rapih!!!!

Its not sick its perfectly healthy!!!!!!!

I think that's an English phrase though, no?

I hate "FYI". The three letter acronyms are the worst. "OMG" is even worse that "Oh my God".

"Fricking" is also pretty bad - It's fúcking ("fecking" in polite company :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

He goes like this... and then I go...

The use of the verb 'go' in this manner speaks volumes about how poor your vocabulary skills are, and generally, make you sound like a retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

"Where are you at ??"

Thats not even a fupping sentence. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Bandit12 wrote: »
    "Bro".....i just want to hurt someone when i hear it. :mad:
    Right on Bud!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

The way that American ladies call their friends "girlfriends"

The way that they refer to their asses as their "fannys"

put the two together and it all gets rather confusing for the average red blooded male

"One of my girlfriends bought that new stepotron 4000 and it really works she now has the tightest little fanny ..." :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

ozzirt wrote: »
    Like I said th first time, "It's time you got a language of your own instead of buggering up someone else's".
    Now how would they set about doing that? Would people stop watching American programmes and cinema just because they gave the language a different label? Turn it up Ozzirt. The yanks aren't forcing anyone to do anything. Perhaps you should be cross with the imitators or mount a French like cultural preservation campaign. As for the sanctity of the language many of the English themselves savage their language more than most Americans could ever manage. Owite bruv this a beastie, innit? Then there's geordie Cheryl Cole who is about as comprehensible as a cement mixer. And let's be honest, the Australians have no place to squawk. Neighbours, Home and Away, you have plenty to answer for as well. It's one thing to cringe at the faux imitators. But to suggest that the Americans should adopt a separate official native language? That would have about as much impact on the proliferation of annoying Americanisms as changing their national bird from a bald eagle to a red breasted pygmy nuthatch. None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Douche and douchebag.

Down with such douchebaggery! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My bad and for an Irish one "I do be"

alright-already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I use the Green Line Luas a lot and I swear to God I often have a hard time figuring out whether some of the presumably D6 and D14 girls on that are actually American or not.

It really bugs me when people turn a statement into a question. Such as: I went out last night? and Caroline was out? and we had a good time? at band camp? Grrr piss off you're from Dundrum not Caifornia!

..and, re-tard

grrrrrahhhhh:mad:

seanybiker wrote: »
    at what age does she stop being your mother?
    Probably when I die. I use the term out of respect for her.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    The overuse of "whatever" and starting every sentence with "I was like"is extremely irritating. e.g " I was like whatever"

Also that idiotic movement that some people make to indicate inverted comma's
    Go ahead and beat anyone you catch doing these senseless.

Once again you display your obvious ignorance of the English colloquial language. The term "Bugger up" is quite acceptable, meaning to ruin, spoil or botch, any English speaking person could have told you this.

It seems you are also very sensitive to justified criticism. On each occasion further proving my point that America needs a language of it's own, in this case, so you don't make an even bigger idiot of yourself abusing a person for using the language quite correctly. Each time you misunderstand, you further my case.
    Yet you fail to grasp the rich cultural tapestry that is America. We allow each individual to make their own decisions about how they will speak whatever language they happen to speak. Would you like to try speaking Spanglish sometime, or maybe Creole. They are both regional dialects that are spoken alongside American .

Lirange wrote: »
    Turn it up Ozzirt. The yanks aren't forcing anyone to do anything.
    Obviously you have no idea how their "culture" (or lack thereof) is affecting ours. That's OK if you don't care, many people have no pride in who they are, I guess it's just that I do.
    Yet you fail to grasp the rich cultural tapestry that is America. We allow each individual to make their own decisions about how they will speak mwhatever language they happen to speak. Would you like to try speaking Spanglish sometime, or maybe Creole. They are both regional dialects that are spoken alongside American .
    You can do what you like in your own country, just don't expect those who have a pride in their heritage to admire you for it. Your repeated lack of understanding of the English language in this thread alone has amply demonstrated exactly why some of us wish to retain our own unique heritage.

From what i have read so far it seems I have plenty of support along these lines.

Obviously you have no idea how their "culture" (or lack thereof) is affecting ours. That's OK if you don't care, many have no pride, I guess it's just that I do.
    Tell you what ozzirt, let's call a truce between us. You take pride in your culture, and I'll take pride in mine.

Obviously you have no idea how their "culture" (or lack thereof) is affecting ours. That's OK if you don't care, many people have no pride in who they are, I guess it's just that I do.
    Who is to blame for that? The yanks? Or the ponce who imitates everything they see on TV? It's all up to the Americans is it? Perhaps someone should make an appeal.

Dear America,

We can't stop watching your trashy television and films. We can't help ourselves from imitating your culture and language. So please America do us a favour since we lack the sense, responsibility, and taste to do what's in our own interests. Please adopt your own language and close yourselves off completely from the rest of us. Your culture is like street crack and we lack the power, dignity, and will to do it ourselves. Our self respect and cultural survival depends on you America.

Thank you kindly,
    Anonymous sod

Such pride.

Who is to blame for that? The yanks? Or the ponce who imitates everything they see on TV? It's all up to the Americans is it? Perhaps someone should make an appeal.

Dear America,

We can't stop watching your trashy television and films. We can't help ourselves from imitating your culture and language. So please America do us a favour since we lack the sense, responsibility, and taste to do what's in our own interests. Please adopt your own language and close yourselves off completely from the rest of us. Your culture is like street crack and we lack the power, dignity, and will to do it ourselves. Our self respect and cultural survival depends on you America.

Thank you kindly,
    Anonymous sod

Such pride.
    So you're saying I should stop posting here?

So you're saying I should stop posting here?
    Yes and take your irony with you. If you can find it.

Yes and take your irony with you. If you can find it.
    Ayup, reckon I can find it, iffen i puts my mind to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement