Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irritation in cats eyes

Options
  • 07-08-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I've noticed stuff like sleep coming out of one of her eyes, I wasn't sure if it was because she can't clean that side of her (on the missing leg side) or if it was something worse. For once in the morning I woke up before her and saw the stuff coming out of both eyes. She woke up and started scratching at her eyes and cleaning them. She's also been sneezing a little and drinking a lot of water. I'm going to bring her to the vet but not for about an hour. I want to ring up the animal shelter and see did she get her injection for the year. She's still eating, thank god, I'm still trying to get more weight on her.

Right now I'm just hoping I'm overreacting and there's nothing wrong with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Sounds like conjuctivitis, Nothing to serious but needs to be treated with an eyecream. If this is the case be sure to continue treatment well after the symptoms are gone to ensure the infection is completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The sneezing is a bit of a bother - a lot of cats are herpes carriers. Some never show signs or symptoms, but in others the herpes virus can flare up and cause upper respiratory tract infections and other symptoms, like sneezes, snots and weeping eyes as well as coughs and wheezes.

It can flare up after a period of stress - and that could be the move to your home, since you only got her very recently.

When you're at the vet, ask about supplementing her food with L-Lysine amino acid to prevent the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've come back from the vets and the eye thing was conjuctivitis or at least that's what the vet said.

I also had to get her, her second injection.

Also it was funny the vet didn't even notice she only had three legs until I said it. And after the vet I went to someones house who saw her the day I got her, they said she was looking alot better, fur glossier and little more weight on her. Still room for improvement but she's doing much better.

Advertisement