Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP/Vista network trouble

Options
  • 07-08-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Im in a serious spot of bother, at my wits end and could seriously do with some networking help and advice!!

Basically i have an XP desktop with dell printer, a vista laptop and and both are connected to a router by wireless.
    Ive read everything i could find on the net and in windows help, and just cannot access either the printer or the shared files on the XP machine. When using the XP i can connect to the vista grand, view the shared stuff and all that, but not vice versa.

In vista, i can see the XP desktop on the network, but whenever i try to connect to it or look at the shared files, i get this message:
    "Logon Unsuccessful - Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure that the username and password is correct."

Of course i know both are correct, and ive tried entering in "DESKTOP\username", "username@DESKTOP" and just "username" with the correct password, but it still gives that error. The funny thing about it is that if i just enter in the username and password, it comes back with the error and the logon screen has "vista\username" when im trying to log in to DESKTOP.

Here's the setup:
    Laptop is Vista Home Premium SP2
    Desktop is XP Home SP3
    Router is a Linksys WRT54GC

Here's what ive tried so far:
    Disabled all Firewalls
    Changed both Workgroup names to the same thing
    Setup identical usernames/passwords on both computers
    Setup the vista for network discovery, public folder sharing etc.
    Enabled both guest accounts
    Shared a few folders on both computers and shared the printer on the XP desktop.
    Edited a couple of registry entries that seemed to fix the problem for a few other people.
    Disabled the UAC on vista

...and probably some other stuff as well.

Both machines can ping each other by name and by IP address, so it looks like theres just something up with the login process itself.

Ive read that a load of people had this problem but there doesnt seem to be any clear cut resolution, and (i think) ive tried everything at this stage, so any help at all would be seriously appreciated, its buggin the sh1t outta me at this stage! thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Don't have an answer to your question, but you may get a quicker response by posting your question over in the Windows Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Kensington wrote: »
    Don't have an answer to your question, but you may get a quicker response by posting your question over in the Windows Forum.

Cool i might do that alright, just an update though, after much chicanery and gnashing of teeth, ive managed to get some class of sharing going, but the only thing is i cant log into the XP machine with any of the accounts, just the Guest account. Anyone know how to sort that out?

Also, ive a printer installed on the XP machine and want to print over the network, anyone got any advice about the best way to do that, and how to install it on the Vista? thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Sounds like the profile is corrupt on the XP machine.

I could be wrong of course but you could try recreating it ;)

To print over the network, share the printer on the XP machine and then connect to it from the Vista machine (make sure you check permissions)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

iRock wrote: »
    Sounds like the profile is corrupt on the XP machine.

I could be wrong of course but you could try recreating it ;)

To print over the network, share the printer on the XP machine and then connect to it from the Vista machine (make sure you check permissions)

hey thanks for that, but where would i check the permissions, on the vista or xp? (printer is connected directly to XP by the way)

Ive got as far as being able to install the network printer and print to it, but it just gives a communication error (something like "computer could not communicate with the Printer", check cable etc.) Any ideas, im pretty stumped at this stage! and what a fcuking pain to share a few files and and printer from windows to windows!

Advertisement