Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why this specific type of firearm is required, for lads shooting foxes

Options
  • 07-08-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

The only reason I have my .223 is to shoot foxes to protect my lambs, those of neighbours and their fowl or other stock.

But, does that satisfy the question as to why this type of firearm is required? And if not then I'm lost, how would it?

Also, do I tick Hunting, Other or both?

Same for the HMR substitution, which will be used for rabbits.

I think I'm OK with the Semi 12ga which I'll limit to three shots and put it down as a standard and widely used type of firearm for controlling vermin, greycrows and magpies etc.

Sound OK?

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I'd be saying the same the same thing John. Lambs and fowl is always a good one I thought. Are grey crows and magpies allowed to be shot tho even tho we all shoot 'em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

johngalway wrote: »
    The only reason I have my .223 is to shoot foxes to protect my lambs, those of neighbours and their fowl or other stock.
    Then that's the reason. you don't need to go making stuff up, if you have a firearm for a reason and you're using it for that reason, then it's a good reason.
    But, does that satisfy the question as to why this type of firearm is required? And if not then I'm lost, how would it?
    Well you've been using it for that reason, you've the experience to know what will do the job and the other options don't do the job as well.
    Also, do I tick Hunting, Other or both?
    You tick the one you're using it for. I'm not being facetious, this is a factual exercise and you need to answer the questions straight and truthfully. Imagine yourself in three years time, faced with the same form and scratching your head as to what you said the last time and what to say now.
    Same for the HMR substitution, which will be used for rabbits.
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks Rrpc, I think I phrased some parts badly. I did not mean I would make anything up, I think myself I've an excellent reason for having it. I confused myself thinking about how other similar calibres would handle the job, say .17REM,.204RUGER,.222,.22-250. Me over complicating things I think!

Still confused on the Hunting or Other though, as some would call foxing hunting and others would say pest or vermin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At a rough guess John, I'd say you were wondering if the 1.6l engine was a bit too powerful and could you do the job with the 1.2l version, and did you really need alloy wheels and an MP3 player in there... while the question being asked was really just "do you need a car?" :D

Sparks wrote: »
    At a rough guess John, I'd say you were wondering if the 1.6l engine was a bit too powerful and could you do the job with the 1.2l version, and did you really need alloy wheels and an MP3 player in there... while the question being asked was really just "do you need a car?" :D

Lol, pretty much, I do not like forms :P Where's the tick box for the turbo version (with go faster stripes - already got the speed holes), that's what I really want to know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Forms seem to be an art in this country allright. It's a case of putting down the information the guy reading the form actually needs and not going past that so you don't create more work for him.
    I mean, you'd imagine the form would just ask for the bare minimum required, but no...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Sparks wrote: »
    And to be honest as I havn't shot a fox yet I actually have killed more foxes with my car!!!! so where do I put the 1.6 bit!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Has anybody been asked to present their firearms for inspection in their local garda station?

Is that after applying Jonty? As I wouldn't think too many have sent in forms yet.

I've never been asked to let anyone see my guns, always thought it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

pm sent john

• Advertisement

Crikey @ that PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I've had the Gardai call to the house to see my license

I had to get it from the safe but they still didn't ask to see the firearm.

B'Man

Advertisement