Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

very slow loading of boards pages

• 07-08-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

I posted on Helpdesk with this problem, got no replies, have tried twice since then to add another post to the original one. I get a message saying my post has to be approved, then nothing. I don't know if my posts were deemed worthless, or maybe I'm banned???:eek:
    Anyway, I'll lay out the problem here & hopefully someone might have an answer/guidance/whatever....

I'm not too technically minded, so apologies if my descriptions seem infantile!

HP Desktop running xp home edition, it's a few years old but works fine.
    Was getting internet access through an O2 wireless modem. It wasn't fast, but certainly usable. Was running IE5.
    Then a few weeks ago, we upgraded the O2 modem & downloaded IE8. pages are loading at exellent speed now, near broadband quality. All except boards pages, which now take literally 20 minutes to open.
    When I click on my boards bookmark, or try to open another page once i'm in, the screen will load the default grey background fairly quickly, the first 5 green progress bars light up, then nothing for 20 minutes when eventually the page loads ok. At the point where the progress stalls, the status message to the left of the progress bas is always "waiting for http://boards.ie"

Now, like i said, the speed on every single other site I visit is working so much better than before. Sites that were previously a bit slow to load are now running great, pages with lots of images are up in no time. Boards is the ONLY site I'm having problems with.

If anyone has any ideas how to fix this, i'd be really grateful.
    ps Mods, if I've posted this in the wrong place, or if you wish to copy it elsewhere, please go ahead. Just don't ask me to do it, because I'd be here literally all day!

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

There are alternative browsers out there. I won't tell you to switch to one of them as i'd be against the nature of helpfulness of this forum. Unfortunately as i've no idea what your problem could be i offer the following altnernatives ( at least you could see if your problem was cross browsers then you could rule out your connection)

Chrome
    Firefox
    Safari
    Opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Help Desk refers to matters with Boards.ie itself, not Help on DIY, Computers, Learnin Drums, The Best Kind of Mustard, or anything else the actual forums are for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Overheal wrote: »
    Help Desk refers to matters with Boards.ie itself, not Help on DIY, Computers, Learnin Drums, The Best Kind of Mustard, or anything else the actual forums are for ;)

Indeed it does.

And since my problem is specific to boards, it seemed to me that the helpdesk might just be the place to ask.
    In case you missed it last time, my browser is working just great on every single other site that i use.

Wolfric, thanks for your post, I appreciate you taking the time to try & help.:)

Advertisement