Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind Turbines

• 07-08-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I am thinking of installing a 5kw wind turbine for my own use (House & small farm). I am considering a turbine called a SWEA which is manufactured in Holland & i have got a quotation from an Irish distributor who would install it for me.
    Does any body have any experiance of SWEA units?
    Are there any particular problems with them
    I am told it is maintanence free - is this the case
    Do they give backup in the event of a problem
    Are there any other brands that you would recommend or not recomment

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Most of SWEA's manufacturing is done in China, they do make their inverters in Holland.

There's no such thing as a maintenance free turbine, check into this further, all blades have opertaing limits and need to be checked, same goes for cables etc.
    I'd look at Proven for a 5-6Kw unit or Turbotricity for a 3kw for comparrison.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

proven would be one of the market leaders. I would aggree with bladespin to have a look at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hino1

I had already looked at the proven option, but it seems very expensive (33-34K), so i dont know would there be any return on my investment. Turbotricity dont seem to do any 5kw unit. Am i right in assuming that i should be very careful & cautious before i would buy any unit which is substantially made in China. Are there much differences in output from different 5kw units - You can buy them from the low 20's to the mid 30's. That is a very big price differende!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hino1 wrote: »
    I had already looked at the proven option, but it seems very expensive (33-34K), so i dont know would there be any return on my investment. Turbotricity dont seem to do any 5kw unit. Am i right in assuming that i should be very careful & cautious before i would buy any unit which is substantially made in China. Are there much differences in output from different 5kw units - You can buy them from the low 20's to the mid 30's. That is a very big price differende!!!

Have u the detailed wind analysis for the actual site for this level of investment: 35k for something, based on sales talk that might not do what u expect is a big risk.

Consider an actual site survey with the measurements taken at the precise height you have in mind. Collect data for a year, by which time the price will be reduced with better quality kit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Hino1 wrote: »
    ..........Am i right in assuming that i should be very careful & cautious before i would buy any unit which is substantially made in China.......

No.

You should be very careful and cautious about the quality of the product whether it's made in China, Ireland, or on the Moon. The ethnicity of the workers who make it, and the geography of its origin has little to do with the product quality.

There are a lot of people who will try to scare you away from products just because they're cheap when in fact this is (by most rational analyses) one of the most desireable of product features in everything from beer to wind turbines.

Cheeble-eers

• Advertisement
Advertisement