Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get rid of a cat and its 1-day old litter?

• 07-08-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

Just discovered that a cat had a litter of kittens in our turf shed last night. I dont know if its a wild or not.

My dog really hates cats:rolleyes:and he can easily get into the shed. I know if I dont get rid of the litter soon there will be a big fight in the shed.

The ISPCA dont want do know about it and fobbed me off to a cattery who dont house stray cats kittens.

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No need for that now.Have an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

NekkidBibleMan prob not the best forum for you to be making animal cruelty comments.

Mullingar Where abouts are you located?

Can you check to see if the cat is wild by trying to approach her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

*snip*

How helpful.

OP try Cats Aid, they're in Dublin but they might help you out? landline (01) 6683529 | email catsaid@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Im near the old St. Lomans Hospital in Mullingar.

I went near the cat and it growled! so I sprayed the cat with a bit of water and it ran up-and-over the adjoining wall, but I know it will be back very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

If the cat feels in danger she will move the kittens. She'll disappear for the day looking for a new spot and come back later to bring the kittens there. So perhaps scare her.

My father did this when he was trying to kill a rat in the shed, it turned out to be a cat with four kittens. The cat started jumping around the shed and the two grown men in there screamed their heads off and ran away (would have loved to have seen it). If she freaks out if you look she's wild if she just looks at you she's probably owned or was owned by someone.

• Advertisement

Try these you may find someone to help.

catsprotection@eircom.net
    Tel: (01) 888 0828
    catsprotection also run a trap and neuter scheme so I imagine they should help!

D.S.P.C.A may also be able to help,
    Mount Venus Road,
    Rathfarnham,
    Dublin 16.
    Phone: (01) 493 5502/4

Best of luck let us know how you get on!

Orla K wrote: »
    If the cat feels in danger she will move the kittens. She'll disappear for the day looking for a new spot and come back later to bring the kittens there. So perhaps scare her.

I am relying on scareing her into leaving with the litter to somewhere else, so between the dog and me giving her a quick spray of water she should get the hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

mullingar, if you scare her too much, she'll leave the kittens and they'll die of hunger and cold.

The ones that don't die won't go far, and within six months they'll breed and you'll have a local feral cat colony.

Trap her and the kittens using food, water and a cardboard box. Then take her to the pound. Some rescues take cats from the pound, so she may have a chance. If not, she'll be euthanised along with the kittens, which saves them from the variety of nasty ends they might meet, and prevents further breeding.

If you don't have cages one of the shelters may lend you one if you phone them and explain the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Pounds in Ireland don't take cats, just dogs (and the occasional horse depending on the pound).

OP - I can't think of any cat rescues in Mullingar but you might try Last Hope in Meath?

Máire Egan does a lot for cats and if she can help you she will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

It could be a local cat who was afraid and just ended up in your place. Any chance of having an announcement made on local radio about anyone missing a cat? Perhaps you could leave out the bit about the kittens for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

The more I read this board, the more weirdos I see.
    There is an excellent rescue in Mullingar, Mary Chundee 044 9342205.

How kind to terrorise a nursing mother ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Why don't pounds in Ireland accept cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

hadook wrote: »
    Pounds in Ireland don't take cats, just dogs (and the occasional horse depending on the pound).
    Why don't pounds in Ireland accept cats?

I'm curious about this myself - hadook where are you getting the information that pounds don't take cats? Are you talking about dog pounds specifically or do you mean shelters in general?
    I know for a fact DSPCA take in and have cats/kittens, my friend has given homes to a few from there.
    They have many animals, wolves, geese, pigs, horses, chickens, goats, ducks (all last time I was up there).

Because they are 'Dog' pounds. They are run by the ISPCA or the local council. A rescue is not a 'Pound' For a list of both, visit www.irishanimals.ie
    Star...did you say the DSPCA had a wolf ???? Have you seen this animal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

star-pants wrote: »
    I'm curious about this myself - hadook where are you getting the information that pounds don't take cats? Are you talking about dog pounds specifically or do you mean shelters in general?
    I know for a fact DSPCA take in and have cats/kittens, my friend has given homes to a few from there.

Pounds and shelters/rescues are separate things.

Pounds are there to provide a service as detailed in current legislation for dogs (and occasionally horses :) ) and are separate from rescues and are run, or contracted out, by the local county council. Your local dogwarden works out of the pound, collecting stray and abandoned dogs.

Rescues are an entirely different kettle of fish, initially set up by individuals to provide care for whatever animals they see fit. Long standing rescues usually have charity status for tax reasons. The DSPCA is not a pound, it's a rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Have you tried a cry for help cattery, they normally take in cats and kittens.

Contact Person: Ger
    Phone: 0876616622

Worth a try.

The cat & kittens are gone. Probably to protect her kittens from the dog (I only gave the cat 1 squirt)

A pound is not a shelter or a rescue, it is a place where stray dogs are kept for 5 days and then destroyed. There is obviously a language barrier here.:rolleyes:

Star you did not answer my question about a supposed 'wolf' in the DSPCA ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Star you did not answer my question about a supposed 'wolf' in the DSPCA ?
    Because I haven't been at my computer since before you asked it.

Yes they had two when I was there a good few months ago. Different breeds though, one was a damn sight bigger than the other.

also thanks for the clarification on pounds not taking in animals other than dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

hi there
    you could try kitten cottage in cavan ... + 353 (0)86 1994115

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jules1973

GinaH wrote: »
    The more I read this board, the more weirdos I see.
    There is an excellent rescue in Mullingar, Mary Chundee 044 9342205.

How kind to terrorise a nursing mother ?
    i agree , cant you just make sure dog cant get near cat for a few weeks?!! i mean its nt the end of the world is it ffs then bring them to a pet rescue or call one out , their our loads in ireland if you look them up on net .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 180Bhoy

Once them kittens are old enough you will have no hope of catching them. 2 or 3 years time you will have 40 or 50 stray cats.. Get rid of them now while there young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

jules1973 wrote: »
    i agree , cant you just make sure dog cant get near cat for a few weeks?!! i mean its nt the end of the world is it ffs then bring them to a pet rescue or call one out , their our loads in ireland if you look them up on net .

I'm sure after 5 years that the cats have moved on by now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Eh 5 year old thread ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 180Bhoy

andreac wrote:
    Eh 5 year old thread ??

Didn't realise that haha. It came up in trending threads. I wonder how many cats he has now..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

My god the Kittens are well grown at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Zombie kitten thread

BRAAAIIIIIINZ. Raaaaaaaaragh:D
    9693662_orig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sweet. Suffering. Jehovah.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement