Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much for a pre NCT check? Lights

• 07-08-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

This is a UK car originally and will be its first NCT so is there anything else I need to check before the test? Its a mondeo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

batperson wrote: »
    This is a UK car originally and will be its first NCT so is there anything else I need to check before the test? Its a mondeo

Why bother checking to see if something is wrong with it?
    Just put it through the NCT and if it passes, you don't have to spend any money repairing it.
    If it fails, well the NCT will highlight what needs to be fixed. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Fair point, but I wondered if it being a UK car meant that the lights would be set differently (just a thought, no logic behind it!) and I thought it may be cheaper to do this than pay for a retest? Otherwise not worried as car is running great

Fair point, but I wondered if it being a UK car meant that the lights would be set differently (just a thought, no logic behind it!) and I thought it may be cheaper to do this than pay for a retest? Otherwise not worried as car is running great

No, the lights should be ok.
    Anyway, a retest, depending on what needs to be checked may only cost €28.
    Your "pre test" will cost a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Heroditas wrote: »
    No, the lights should be ok.
    Anyway, a retest, depending on what needs to be checked may only cost €28.
    Your "pre test" will cost a lot more.

Thank you - exactly what I wanted to know - boards rocks!

Thank you - exactly what I wanted to know - boards rocks!

From the NCT site:
    How much does the test cost and what are the payment methods?
    The car test fee is �50.00 and a re-test costs �28.00 (both fees are inclusive of VAT and maybe subject to change). Re-tests, which do not require the use of test equipment, will be free. Free re-tests cover minor items, for example, a visual inspection to check that faulty windscreen wipers have been replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Heroditas wrote: »
    Why bother checking to see if something is wrong with it?
    Just put it through the NCT and if it passes, you don't have to spend any money repairing it.
    If it fails, well the NCT will highlight what needs to be fixed. :confused:

Or you can just arrange your NCT for the same time as a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Local Peugot main dealer in Mullingar is advertising on their big sign post:

"FREE PRE-NCT CHECK, JUST DRIVE IN"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the check is free, the fix is not.
    i imagine it would cost around 30 to get lights adjusted.

so gamble on getting the test first time
    if you win it costs you 50
    if you lose it costs you 50 + 28 + 30 = 108

cut out the gamble, get them checked, it costs you 50 + 30 = 80

of course, theres still the chance you'll fail for something else and you'll never know if you wasted that money for the lights.

fwiw, i was quoted 100 for tracking and lights adjustment last night at a roadside exhaust place that does free nct checks, they also told me i would need new rear suspension and 2 new tyres.
    told them to feck off, passed the nct this morning.
    total cost to me, 20 minutes of time wasting and 50eu for the NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a few simple things you can do prior to the NCT test that don't cost big money but are the most common failures:-
    • You can get the headlights adjusted from somewhere like Fastfit or Advanced Pitstop for a small fee.
    • Also check the condition of your tyres ie within the legal thread limit, correct inflation, etc.
    • Make sure all your bulbs are working the day before the test.
    • Check your oil and winscreen washer fluid levels.
    If the car is due a scheduled service then get it done anyway. Other than that just send it through and let them tell you what needs fixing if any. Spending big money on pre test guess work is a waste imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

If you are any way mechanically inclined, download the test manual and do a lot of the simple checks yourself. If the car fails and you're fuzzy about why, ask the NCT guy/gal for a little bit of background info so you know what you're after and can go research the problem a bit before going to a garage and getting a quote. In my experience the NCT guys can be quite helpful! :)

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

often wonder about cars with dip lights than can be raised or lowered by a switch or knob inside the car. Would it be best just to set that to the lowest level before the test if your not going to get a garage to test them first? although for the sake of €15 (the cost in Donegal) i always get the lights set before an NCT, its normally the only thing i do before a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Senna wrote: »
    often wonder about cars with dip lights than can be raised or lowered by a switch or knob inside the car. Would it be best just to set that to the lowest level before the test if your not going to get a garage to test them first? although for the sake of €15 (the cost in Donegal) i always get the lights set before an NCT, its normally the only thing i do before a test.

That internal adjustment is only for adjusting the headlights focus up and down. The default setting here is 0 unless the car is pulling a load.

However adjusting the headlights horizontally focus requires the use of an allen key or screw driver at the side of the headlight from inside the engine bay. Tricky enough to get the alignment correct by yourself, not really that expensive to get done properly these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If the car has a recent MOT there's no reason why it wouldn't pass the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Drive to a service station which has the front wall made of glass. Turn your car so the rear is facing the building. Look in the rear view mirror and select your reverse gear, indicators, turn on your driving and fog lights and stamp on the brakes.

For light alignment, drive close to a wall with the lights on and see how they look in relation to each other. You may be able to spot it. Also, when driving at night, if others flash you, it is a good sign that something is wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bear in mind that by and large, nobody including main dealers will promise that your car will pass an NCT!

Advertisement