Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expired insurance disc, insurance ok

• 07-08-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Car insurance has been renewed, but the new disc has ben lost in the mail. I have ordered a new one, but need to take a long drive before it can reach me.

What will happen if I am stopped? (The disc is only outdated a few days ad the insurance number stays the same)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You're covered in the event of an accident because your insurance policy is paid.
    Do you have an email or letter from the insurance company or can you get one emailed to you? A printout of the mail would be sufficient if you got stopped. Most Gards would be ok anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I asked a Guard this question

He told me that most Guards would be satisfied with the printout but technically a Guard could have you for failure to display a current disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Most Guards would be fine about this. If you're stopped they will probably ask you to produce your insurance certificate at a station of your choice within ten days. This should be enough time for you to get the disc.

If you renewed online, or have any emails or letters from the company that says you renewed I would keep them in the car. Will make life a lot easier if you have something along those lines to show the Guard.

It is a seperate offence (i think) to drive without displaying insurance (I could be mixing this up with tax). But with so many people renewing online the day the insurance expires and having to wait for a new disc in the post, I can't see any Guard giving you hassle. Especially when you are only a few days out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Some sort of printout would be handy in case you are stopped. But I drove around for 7 months with an out of date disc(forgot to replace the disc with the new one!), waved through check-points and all! So I won't worry about it too much.

Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    Some sort of printout would be handy in case you are stopped. But I drove around for 7 months with an out of date disc(forgot to replace the disc with the new one!), waved through check-points and all! So I won't worry about it too much.

Paddy.

As you say that I drove through a checkpoint a while back with nothing on the screen. I hadn't got a holder, the tax/nct/insurance disc were on the seat. When I pulled up beside the guard and went to hand him the discs he waved me on then he stopped me and said that he didn't even cop there was nothing in my window

• Advertisement
Advertisement