Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel in Examinership? Safe to place a booking??

Options
  • 07-08-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

With all the hotels that are going into examinership & some into receivership, is it safe to book a stay with such hotels?:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

For the 70 days after they go into examinership yes provided your booking and stay correspond to the period.

The Morrisson Hotel in Dublin went in yesterday but as they intend to sell as a going concern your money should be safe if you book today, had you paid on weds then maybe not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Always make your booking via a credit card (Mastercard or Visa - NOT laser). If the hotel happens to go under, you should be able to arrange a chargeback via your credit card provider meaning you won't be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Tks folks.
    Just googled a Hotel - it is in receivership...does the same advice above apply?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Kensington wrote: »
    Always make your booking via a credit card (Mastercard or Visa - NOT laser). If the hotel happens to go under, you should be able to arrange a chargeback via your credit card provider meaning you won't be out of pocket.

You can only get a charge back if there is cash in their account....and if they are in trouble you may not have it.

I personally would not book into a hotel in recievership.....but its your gamble...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bottomdog wrote: »
    You can only get a charge back if there is cash in their account....and if they are in trouble you may not have it.

I personally would not book into a hotel in recievership.....but its your gamble...

Credit card companies are jointly liable with the seller/supplier for your payment. So if the hotel goes bust the card company have to refund your payment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If a hotel is in receivership / examinership, then your monies would be quite safe as the receiver / examiner would be dealing with your booking and afaik it would be protected if there was a subsequent problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Like the man said earlier, always book with a credit card and never a laser, then you can charge it back if they do not provide the service in the end....becuase they are closed.

A lot of these hotels will close outright in the first week of september , game up .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bottomdog wrote: »
    I never heard this before - have you any references for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

a lot of hotels would only take a credit or debit card to guarantee the booking not actualy charge to it especially if you book over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Colin_M

The NCA did a good article on this a few months back - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Tip_Of_The_Week/Tips_Archive/Traders_going_bust_.html.

Axer - One of there tips here is to pay by credit card. If your card-issuer operates a chargeback scheme, you may be able to recover money paid to a trader who has gone out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Colin_M wrote: »
    Axer - One of there tips here is to pay by credit card. If your card-issuer operates a chargeback scheme, you may be able to recover money paid to a trader who has gone out of business.
    I know that. What I was talking about was bottomdog's post that said you can only charge back if there is money in the merchants account which I have never heard of. Does anyone know if this is true? I would assume that the reason merchant accounts are so expensive etc is because they take a risk of charge backs when there is no money in the account.

Advertisement