Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA NIGERIAN CREDIT CARD SCAM

Options
  • 07-08-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I have been called about 20 times by Nigerian scamsters pretending to be from MBNA and asking for security details before revealing the purpose of their call. They are slick and polished. But :eek: I have a new technique. It goes like this.:pac:...Hello is that Mr Jones I am George calling from MBNA regarding your credit card for security can I have your mother's maiden name and the place and date of your birth please......'Certainly George I was born in Lagos in Nigeria on October 1st 1960, and my mother is Agbani Derego......( this usualy does the trick...the date is Nigeria's Independence day and national holiday and Agbani was Nigeria's Miss World and is a legend there....I usually finish up by saying I have 30,000,000 dollars in the bank, which he will never get and am off to make love to one of my servants :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Sounds like the same George from Fonejacker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Jev/N wrote: »
    Sounds like the same George from Fonejacker :D
    But sir, it is tottaly innocent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

bottomdog wrote: »
    I have been called about 20 times by Nigerian scamsters pretending to be from MBNA and asking for security details before revealing the purpose of their call. They are slick and polished. But :eek: I have a new technique. It goes like this.:pac:...Hello is that Mr Jones I am George calling from MBNA regarding your credit card for security can I have your mother's maiden name and the place and date of your birth please......'Certainly George I was born in Lagos in Nigeria on October 1st 1960, and my mother is Agbani Derego......( this usualy does the trick...the date is Nigeria's Independence day and national holiday and Agbani was Nigeria's Miss World and is a legend there....I usually finish up by saying I have 30,000,000 dollars in the bank, which he will never get and am off to make love to one of my servants :cool:

So how do they know you have an MBNA credit card, your name and phone number in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

ttm wrote: »
    So how do they know you have an MBNA credit card, your name and phone number in the first place?

They don't know, but if one happens to have one then they hope that their mark will fall for the scam, with the help of ip phones they employ 20-30 or more people in nigeria on a pittance wage to make these calls and they just make hundreds if not thousands of calls pretending to be from banks that issue cards in the countries they are calling, so if they are calling Ireland numbers they would pretend to be calling from ~Ulster bank or MBNA, AIB or ~PTSB. not all people are too savy to spot a con call, so they will allways find people who will fall for the con and give their sensitive details out over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

ttm wrote: »

Someone in MBNA possibly selling information on maybe in a call centre, in india two-three years ago in a "paperless" environment one employee was found to be writing customer info on the soles of their shoes :D

Or they could be just changing their arms and it is a coincidence the op is an MBNA customer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

bottomdog wrote: »

MBNA themselves not far off the nigerians sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Excellent!!!, But you should do like me, When I get a call from a Bank or Credit card company and there is no number displayed I ask them for their number so I can call back and usually they hangup. My tip!, never give personal details unless you are the one calling the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

I could never understand how MBNA get away with ringing you and asking you for security info, I mean they could be anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I could never understand how MBNA get away with ringing you and asking you for security info, I mean they could be anyone!

As far as I'm aware they only ask for partial security and can confirm details if you wish then.

I'm glad they do rather that just giving out information to anyone who claimed to be me.

Going back to the original point have you contacted MBNA's fraud team to advise of this alleged scam?

Advertisement