Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet shop food v's food bought in the vet

Options
  • 07-08-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

can anyone enlighten me....yesterday the receptionist in my local vets said that there is a difference between the food they sell and the food the pet shop sells even though it's the same brand.

I buy Royal Canin for my Cavalier but the receptionist said that the makers of it would make the version sold in vets slightly better quality than the one made for the pet shops. would they really go to this trouble? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Sounds like she was telling some porkies so you would spend your money in the vets, there is a difference in quality in supermarket pet food eg pedigree and foods that are sold in vets like hills, royal canin etc, but if its the same brand you buy in the pet shop there is absolutely no difference and if they are in the same area they probably get it from the same supplier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I don't think I would agree with that??

Are they the exact same bags and prices?

It sounds like she just want's you to buy off of them as most vets get comminsion (i think) on the food they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mellaine

hmmmm, I figured she saw me coming alright :mad:

Vets dont get a commission as such for each bag sold but have a certain mark up on products so buying them in the vets will give them money over the pet shop.

I would worry about the vets if they are willing to tell such lies, maybe its time to look into a new vet?!?

that's what annoys me the most, I already give them enough business for check ups and grooming and I really don't appreciate bulls**tting. Honesty buys loyalty as far as I'm concerned. must do a quick price check in the local pet store to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There are different versions sold in the surgery - called 'Royal Canin Veterinary Diet'. Not sure if you can get this in the shop?

no, that type is definately vet specific so can only be bought in the vet.

The basic royal canin can be bought in either pet shops or vet, there are special types that can only be bought in vets for example the hills prescription diets can only be bought in vets while the hills science plan can be bought in either and are the same in both.

I presume the op was talking about a regular royal canin food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Breeder we got our pup from bought Royal Canin 8kg mini junior bag and was paying almost €70 i think from her vet, might have been for her usual adult bag. We got the 8kg mini junior in Equipet on special for €40, usually about €47. Equipet currently have the smaller bags 1.5-4kg bags for half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The size and breed specific foods in vets and petshops are the same (heard that direct from one of the reps) but the illness specific foods are obviously different.

The vet specific food can only be bought from RC afaik and they have no competition selling to the vets. Suppliers to petshops (and the petshops themselves) can buy in enough bulk that they can guarantee a discount and thus can sell on it for less. At the end of the day RC is a business and run by people who keep a close eye on the profit margins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

We sell it in the clinic I work in and they're the exact same. If it's the same name and ingredients then they're the same thing. That receptionist is an eejit for saying that, don't mind her. Get it wherever it's cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Vets dont get a commission as such for each bag sold but have a certain mark up on products so buying them in the vets will give them money over the pet shop.

I would worry about the vets if they are willing to tell such lies, maybe its time to look into a new vet?!?

... or tell the vet about what the receptionist said. She may be just saying this off her own bat in which case she needs to be hauled into line. If you're happy with the treatment your pets get then a numbskull receptionist isn't a good enough reason to change vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Sounds like a sales technique. Perhaps she's doing a course in marketing ?

Advertisement