Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker skin problems

Options
  • 07-08-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all

As most cocker spaniel owners will know they suffer from skin problems, I am treating my guy at the moment for his and wanted to avoid future problems(as some skin problems are from food allergies) so i was wondering does anyone with a cocker spaniel have a good brand of food they use that they find helps with their skin. at the moment my guy is on hills, sometimes mixed with a supermarket brand when money is tight( i know ill have to lose the supermarket stuff if i want an improvement in the skin)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well with my Lhasas I use codliver oil or evening primrose oil on their food, just a small capsule. You could try also mixing in a bit of tuna with the food as the oils from that will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hi,

My Cocker pup is on Royal Canin and has been since we got him, he seems to be doing well on it, no problems yet anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

we had our cocker for 15 years , only had skin problems for the first one or two we started adding a spoon of cod liver oil every day or every few depending on what the skin was like found it really helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

we have a 12 week old cocker pup. i wasnt aware that skin probs were common. what should i be looking out for. i have noticed shes always sucking on her legs, would this be due to dry skin i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

mulmulcahy wrote: »
    we have a 12 week old cocker pup. i wasnt aware that skin probs were common. what should i be looking out for. i have noticed shes always sucking on her legs, would this be due to dry skin i wonder?

We have our cocker just over a year now, he's 15 months old. We saw similar behaviour, chewing the legs when he was younger.
    I'm no expert, but I suspect its due to teething - make sure you have plenty of chewable toys. We also tried to stop him when he did it, but I'm sure he was doing it when alone anyway.

I haven't seen any skin problems with our guy so far, and like you, I was unaware of any skin issues.

Be careful what you read on the internet - as any US websites will refer to the American Cocker Spaniel as the Cocker Spaniel, whereas over here, its the English Cocker Spaniel that is abbreviated to Cocker Spaniel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

ya figured it was teething alright. she has loads of chewy toys but as usual she takes most interest in things she shouldnt eg skirting boards shoes etc:D i have started putting olive oil on her food anyway as it cant do any harm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Hi guys,

most pedegrees are sensitive .. be that stomach or skin but I've not had skin problems with any of my 2 cockers just the usual ear problems. We changed to a low protein diet and that has done the trick with that.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

sn00ps wrote: »
    Hi guys,

most pedegrees are sensitive .. be that stomach or skin but I've not had skin problems with any of my 2 cockers just the usual ear problems. We changed to a low protein diet and that has done the trick with that.

S

What food are you feeding for a low protein diet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 laurencampion

hi there, both my cockers are fed on bakers complete dry and love the stuff. One is 5 the other over a year and never had any health problems. If your dog is prone to skin problems then i agree the cod liver oil could help alot, mine take the capsules straight out of your hand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

I don't have a cocker but my boxer suffered from dry flaky skin, I used to give her cod liver oil mixed in with her food - which did seem to help a bit, but I've recently changed her onto James Wellbeloved which she loves, and it's done wonders, her skin is now cleared up and her coat is really glossy - I'm not even adding the cod liver oil to it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Depending on his/her age try the Royal Canin Cocker food ( breed specific ) but if its a pup I think they have to wait till they are 8 mths plus before they can have it. My GSD had really dry flaky skin and her coat was in bits so I was giving her Evening Promrose and Cod Liver Oil tablets but was told that the amount that she would need to absorb to make a differance to her skin and coat would upset her tummy and give her the runs so I changed her to RC GSD breed specific and it worked. It took about 4 weeks to see the differance. The collie ( The Boss) however is still on James Wellbeloved and loving it and thriving.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated

Advertisement