Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kind Vet wanted in Limerick City

Options
  • 07-08-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice, kind, friendly vet in Limerick City.The vet I take my little dog to at the moment is kind of gruff in manner and I get the feeling that he's fleecing me anytime I visit. I live near Dublin Road so would like someone not too far from that side of city. Thanks in advance.
    doglover!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

Vincent Ireton on Clare Street. I used to bring my cats there and found him kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I find Treaty Vet in Thomandgate to be very good, hope the dog isn't too sick

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

ABEasy wrote: »
    I find Treaty Vet in Thomandgate to be very good, hope the dog isn't too sick

the dog isnt sick at the mo at all, I dont want to wait til she gets sick!Would rather find a nice new vet first!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    Vincent Ireton on Clare Street. I used to bring my cats there and found him kind.

great guy, 3 cats and two mutts here. one of the cats had an abcess from a bite which he agreed to see on a bank holiday monday evening no hassle, will always give him our business

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gracem

i use crescent vets in raheen and they have a clinic in castletroy (castletroy vet clinic) they are very good. hope ur pooch is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I find John O'Dwyer in Henry St very good and reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

+1 Treaty Vet

Not really on ur side of the city tho....then again not really a big city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

gracem wrote: »
    i use crescent vets in raheen and they have a clinic in castletroy (castletroy vet clinic) they are very good. hope ur pooch is ok.

Crescent Vets...as the old Phrase Goes. Good but expensive.
    The Male Vets working there can be a little cold.
    There is a very nice female vet there. But a lot more expensive than other places.

Adrian Hanley is a very hard working vet. A little mad in the head if you ask me, He tends to be a little rough handed with the animals if you have some spoiled timid pet but he has a good heart. His assistant is very kind hearted and remembers all the pets.

Vincent Ireton has been around for donkeys years very old
    school vet.

There is a Vet Clinic that is in Edward street that has good things said about it. City Vets? maybe is the name of it.

Treaty vets dont know much about.

There is vet clinic down near Limerick Fire station too.

Dont know of the others.

~B

thanks a mill guys, i appreciate all these replies!its great to hear peoples opinions on this!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

+1 for Treaty vet too. Mrs used to bring her cat there from caherdavin. Opened in shannon too actually. Just basic boosters etc, but quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Another vote for treaty vets. I'm in Castletroy but it's not that far over to thomondgate. they're always so nice in there and you just feel like they really like what they're doing which i don't get from some vets.

Anyone have a number for treaty vets?where exactly are they?Thanks!Are they expensive?Eg how much for a general consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Some of the best vets are gruff. There are not-so-great vets out there who are charming and friendly. You need to give higher priority to their expertise and experience rather than their bedside manner. :P

I've dealt with all the vets in Limerick down through the years with the exceptions of Adrian Hanley and Vincent Ireton so I can't comment on those.

Hugh O' Callaghan and Mike Canty at Crescent Vets are both excellent veterinary surgeons with many, many years of experience between them. They're A1. They also have some younger vets working in their practice now who wouldn't have the same experience but would still be good.

John O' Dwyer in Henry Street is a gem. He doesn't have a fancy clinic but he has a heart of gold and again he has years and years of experience. He also tends to charge a little less than his competitors.

Donal Ryan (City Vet on Edward Street) is an A1 vet - years of experience and he's a wonderful veterinary surgeon. His prices would be on a par with Crescent Vets.

Treaty Vets in Thomondgate are also excellent.

Wesley Power in Monaleen is a very good vet. Mid-West vets in Ballysimon are good vets too.

Personally I travel out to Hospital in Co. Limerick to see Dr Andrea Stuckenberg. I know it's a bit of a drive but totally worth it - you'll never meet a kinder or more honest vet. She is very generous with her time and she charges a lot less than the city vets as being out in the county her overheads are smaller. She doesn't have a fancy clinic either but if she feels your pet's health issue is beyond her level of expertise she will give you a referral.

boomerang wrote: »
    Some of the best vets are gruff. There are not-so-great vets out there who are charming and friendly. You need to give higher priority to their expertise and experience rather than their bedside manner. :P

I've dealt with all the vets in Limerick down through the years with the exceptions of Adrian Hanley and Vincent Ireton so I can't comment on those.

Hugh O' Callaghan and Mike Canty at Crescent Vets are both excellent veterinary surgeons with many, many years of experience between them. They're A1. They also have some younger vets working in their practice now who wouldn't have the same experience but would still be good.

John O' Dwyer in Henry Street is a gem. He doesn't have a fancy clinic but he has a heart of gold and again he has years and years of experience. He also tends to charge a little less than his competitors.

Donal Ryan (City Vet on Edward Street) is an A1 vet - years of experience and he's a wonderful veterinary surgeon. His prices would be on a par with Crescent Vets.

Treaty Vets in Thomondgate are also excellent.

Wesley Power in Monaleen is a very good vet. Mid-West vets in Ballysimon are good vets too.

Personally I travel out to Hospital in Co. Limerick to see Dr Andrea Stuckenberg. I know it's a bit of a drive but totally worth it - you'll never meet a kinder or more honest vet. She is very generous with her time and she charges a lot less than the city vets as being out in the county her overheads are smaller. She doesn't have a fancy clinic either but if she feels your pet's health issue is beyond her level of expertise she will give you a referral.

Boomerang, thanks a mill for all that info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Anyone have a number for treaty vets?where exactly are they?Thanks!Are they expensive?Eg how much for a general consultation?

http://www.treatyveterinaryclinic.com/

High Road, Thomondgate, Limerick. 061-328511.
    Consulting Hours:
    9-11am, 2-3pm and 4.30-7pm, Monday-Friday, 10-12.30am Sat.
    By appointment only. Contact Us:
    Ballycasey Business park, Shannon. 061-703466
    Consulting Hours:
    9-10.30 and 3-5pm, Monday-Thursday.
    By appointment only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

Hi, i'm looking for a good vet, too. More specifically, i am looking for someone who would be as thorough as possible, someone not hesitant to run a complete panel of tests on her (kitten with diarrhea: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649002 ).

So, um, kindness aside, where should i go? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Might be a bit of a drive for you but there is a new cat hospital opened in Cork City that might be just what you're looking for.

If you're in Limerick, Marese in Treaty Vets has a special interest in cats (and she's also a Stronghold Vet of the Year award-winner) so she might be a good port of call.

The most thorough vet that I personally know of is Donal Ryan (City Vet) in Edward Street. He has a younger vet working with him also so if you are making an appointment there, do specify that you want to make an appointment with Donal himself.

Whatever vet you do decide to go to for a second opinion, you need to have all your kitten's history and treatment to hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement