Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer!

Options
  • 07-08-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct section but just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me......
    I've been living in a rented house for app. 6 years now. It's a relatively old house on a street of old houses. It's never really posed any major problems but I have noticed in the past that there is some dampness. However it's only begun to worry me lately, partly because of those ads on telly -y'know the ones about looking out for signs of carbon monoxide like black patches on your walls or ceilings. Well, my bedroom is the dampest room in the house and there are big black patches on every corner of the wall, where it joins the ceiling. As I said, it's been like this for some time but lately I've begun to feel generally unwell, especially when in the bedroom - I suffer from very bad allargy symptoms (like reeeeally bad hay-fever), headaches and general aches and pains. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's all related to the house. Or am I jumping the gun? My daughter's bedroom is also pretty damp. A flowergirl dress she wore for a wedding a few years ago and which was covered with "protective cellophane" and hanging in her room is now completely destroyed with mould and mildew. Can't say she's sick all that often though. Not like me, I'm literally dying every second day these days.:(

What I want to know is, is it likely that the house could be causing my ill health? Coz if so, I really need to consider getting out of there ASAP. Also, is there some way of getting those black patches checked out? Like, is there someone who would come in, have a look at them and be able to say whether or not they are related to carbon monoxide, or anything else for that matter? Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Melanie, Carbon Monoxide is produced typically when you burn fuel in an room with an open fire/boiler, etc.

If these are not in the room that you are seeing the dampness, then it is most likely something else causing it. Your ill health may be from the bacteria causing the mould and nothing related to CO.

Ask your landlord to check out the dampness if you are not happy. Do you know if there is adequate ventilation in the room such as wall vents, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

Yep,It sounds like mould from dampness,could be due to inadequate ventilation/insulation,you should get the radon levels tested also.

Staining from carbon monoxide will normally be localized near to source of the flame and diminishes as you move away from it, i would expect to see a larger amount of staining near the fire, boiler etc... than on the walls, in saying that, if you have any gas appliances turn them off and call Bord Gais, they will come out pretty quick to have a look, due to your description the chances of it being carbon monoxide as has been said are slim, but paranoia can be a good thing so i would have someone look at it, just to be sure, Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The title on this thread smacks of sensationalism.:mad:

The OP provides NO, I repeat NO, clues as to the possible sources of CO in the house in the absence of which it is impossible to make suggestions vis a vis the title.
    IMO it behoves posters to match the title to the problem and not go for a UK tabloid type title:mad:

Carlow52 wrote: »

I would rather people ask a question in a sensationalist way or anyway, than not ask it at all, when it comes to safety i don't think there are stupid questions, i only get :mad: when people think their fears are stupid, say nothing and die, also it's possible(*but rare*) to be poisoned from a source that's not part of your property, Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

like most post here some vital inormation is always left out.

i would be reluctant to say its just your allergies. go to any hardware shop and you can pick up a carbon monoxide sticker. it changes colour in the presence of carbon monoxide. its not expensive.

if this turns out ot be negative then pursue other avenues of inquiry.

rule out the most dangerous first.

if the place has damp get you landlord to hire you a dehumidifier. and inform the landlord of the problem

but rule out carbon monoxide first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Carlow52 wrote: »

The OP provides NO, I repeat NO, clues as to the possible sources of CO in the house in the absence of which it is impossible to make suggestions vis a vis the title.
    IMO it behoves posters to match the title to the problem and not go for a UK tabloid type title:mad:

Eh, I used that title coz that is the slogan on the Carbon Monoxide TV ads (featuring Duncan Stewart) and like I said before those ads are mainly what made me think "hmmm, that looks like my bedroom wall..." That is all.
    You're a very angry person Carlow52. :confused:

Martron wrote: »
    like most post here some vital inormation is always left out.

i would be reluctant to say its just your allergies. go to any hardware shop and you can pick up a carbon monoxide sticker. it changes colour in the presence of carbon monoxide. its not expensive.

if this turns out ot be negative then pursue other avenues of inquiry.

rule out the most dangerous first.

if the place has damp get you landlord to hire you a dehumidifier. and inform the landlord of the problem

but rule out carbon monoxide first

Thanks Matron. I did not even know such a thing as a Carbon Monoxide sticker existed. I will get that first anyway and then take things from there afterwards. Cheers.:)

Slumlion wrote: »
    Yep,It sounds like mould from dampness,could be due to inadequate ventilation/insulation,you should get the radon levels tested also.

Well, it's a bedroom so there are two big and two small windows that can be and are opened. There aren't any wall vents anywhere in the house, except in the bathroom where there is no window, but this is normal isn't it? I imagine you don't need wall vents in a room that has windows?

How do i go about getting the radon levels tested?
    And what does this mean? Could radon be making me sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you in a house or apartment? if the window are open radon really not an issue.

radon is a gas. and once the area is ventilated well you should be ok. the damp patches could be moisture coming through the wall somehow. or up it. is wallpaer peeling off? is it in the corners or the middle of the walls.

i think radon takes years to affect the resident. ( open to correction here) where is the house because there is some radon hotspots. but i really think that its not radon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

MelanieC wrote: »
    There aren't any wall vents anywhere in the house, except in the bathroom where there is no window, but this is normal isn't it? I imagine you don't need wall vents in a room that has windows?

Wall vents (trickle vents) are required by law in all new builds and extensions since 20 yrs (or so) even if the room has windows that open. You see, most people tend to close windows when they're not home, at night and in cold weather so other forms of ventilation are needed. Even then some people close the vents off in winter and wonder where the damp comes from.

Older buildings usually won't have vents though.

The bathroom isn't helping either. Steam from the shower will be condensing on your bedroom walls. Keep the door closed and get the landlord to fit an extractor fan if you can persuade him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

MelanieC,

I'd recommend you look into purchasing a dehumidifier to help with your damp issue. We bought one in Woodie's last year and it made a very damp room with no ventilation habitable over winter. It's not the perfect solution, but for a rental your options are limited.

Good luck!
    CG

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely be trying some of your suggestions.
    Just to answer a few of your questions, it's a house and an old house at that, attached to a similarly old house on either side.
    I don't have wallpaper, the walls are merely painted and the black patches are on the top corners of the wall where it meets the ceiling. The ceiling itself has black smoky-looking patches dotted around it also.
    If it's just damp, it's not such an emergency although it does seem to be giving me terrible allergies and that can't go on obviously. But at least I'm not in danger of keeling over or anything!:)

Advertisement