Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sd Card + Security

• 07-08-2009 7:50pm

Is it possible for me to set up a system where by some files are encrypted unless a USB or SD card is present in the laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

You could use Truecrypt - it is available for all platforms.

I'd be interested in something that requires a key, present on some external media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Truecrypt fits that bill. While you can't force the key to be stored on an external drive, only keeping it on that drive would be your job. Otherwise you're looking at something custom that uses a dongle because linux wont differentiate between local and external storage (it's just a block device).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Another vote for Truecrypt. You can have the crypt on the external drive. For added security it also supports hidden volumes which are hidden crypts within crypts.

Hidden volumes don't work in Linux though... :(

I ask as the material I expect to be dealing with is legal documents that I don't really want floating around the place, and it would be pretty cool if the laptop needed an external 'key' to allow the files to be opened.

Ie, a truecrypt file (I use this program at the moment) requiring an exteranl key + password which holds another truecrypt folder containing the files.
    Or is this overkill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Probably overkill. A crypt with a strong key and / or externally stored key should be enough to put off more or less everyone.

Advertisement