Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia LCD screens on phones break too easily on recent phones

• 07-08-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

I have to admit that I'm hard on phones - I broke the screen on my 6500 slide and 5800 xpressmusic by having it in my back pocket and sitting on it. My own fault I know.

I'm not the lightest person but my old reliable nokia's were great. You could drop it from a height or splash it with water and it would still work.

A few friends and colleagues have broken their Nokia LCD screens too so I'm not alone.

What are Sony, Samsung and LG like? I don't plan to buy a Nokia again but maybe other brands are the same.

A friend has had an IPhone for a year and claims he has given it lots of abuse but had no problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

the quality of phones has gone down in recent years as they have become fashion fads like the iphone and the assumption is that everyone will buy a new one after a few months or a year so why spend a lot of money on high quality components?

if you want something that will last buy a purpose-built rugged phone. i don't know which ones are good these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

All brands are pretty much the same I would imagine.. What I would say is that the screen becomes more susceptible to damage as it's size increases in proportion to the size of the device itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would agree that the build quality of phones does appear to have gone down a lot lately. These days they're as much about fashion and functionality as anything else.

Back "in the day" it was all about calls and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

In fairness touch screens because of their nature are gonna be more sensitive.

I think price also has a factor with the prices gradually coming down people are more than likely taking less care of phones since they don't realise how much they are actually worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dopey wrote: »
    I'm not the lightest person but my old reliable nokia's were great. You could drop it from a height or splash it with water and it would still work.

They don't need to build them to withstand this though, so they are not going too. Boils down too cost and ease of manufacturing. Other manufactures are going to be the same. Its more about the housing around the screen, rather than the lcd itself. Have you tried getting a holder for your belt, or using another pocket, or a silicone case to support the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Davy wrote: »
    They don't need to build them to withstand this though, so they are not going too. Boils down too cost and ease of manufacturing. Other manufactures are going to be the same. Its more about the housing around the screen, rather than the lcd itself. Have you tried getting a holder for your belt, or using another pocket, or a silicone case to support the phone.

you can get a good quality rugged phone alright. you just have to pay through the nose for it because volumes are low for this kind of thing (throw-away society) and the materials are more expensive

like the land rover phone (300 pound for something with basic fatures), those industrial-grade windoze mobile phones you see (sometimes over 1,000), iridium satellite phones ($1500 new)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Flimsy screens is a side effect of having ultra slim phones really. The slimmer you make the phone, the more susceptible it's going to be to any sort of pressure on the screen. Compare modern phones with the chunky phones from a few years back - they'd take some amount of abuse and still not break!

Advertisement