Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essence Make-up

• 07-08-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anybody used this brand of make-up? Its quite a cheap brand.

I bought their concealer a while ago and found it quite cakey but while on holiday one of the girls had one of their foundations.

I never use foundation, only tinted mousturiser as I am very pale and have dry patches and my foundation always turns out orange and stuck in the dry patches no matter what I do.

This foundation in Ivory is perfect on my skin with my own powder over it. I evens my skin and has moderate coverage, you can still see my few freckles through it.

Goes on great, really light and even the girls in work asked was I wearing something new as my skin looked flawless! That did it for me! Its my new favourite thing and only €3.50.

I bought their highligher tonight but it looks quite glittery, I'll have to test it out.

Just wondering if anybody uses their stuff, What you think of it? And also would you recommend any of their other products.

They had this gel blush that looked great but the only had one left and ppl and been testing it so I'll have to get that elsewhere!!

Jeez that was a long post!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I may be completely off the mark here, but is Essence sold in Penney's?! If so, yeah, I've used it! I have the highlighter and a load of eye shadows and things! 3.50 is an absolute bargain for foundation, can't believe it's that good! I'm definitely gonna throw some in my basket next time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

It probably is!

I've gotten it in Dunnes in the make-up section and some diferent pharmacies.

Well I really like it! Suits my skin great. Yeah it is a total bargain. I have been saying for ages I was gonna invest in some expensive make-up, Mac or something.

But I dont feel the need anymore, might need a different colour for heading out but the Ivory is a perfect match for the daytime!

On the highlighter is ok, not as glittery as I thought, I'd say a little would be fine for the day and then you could put more on for night!

Dam I really want the gel blush now!! Yes, I have a cosmetic, toilettries and handbag addiction!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I love their black eyeliner...the crayon one....brill, lasts forever..its a job to get it off with make up removerand at €2 its a bargain...defo gets the thumbs up from me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Yes, I have a cosmetic, toilettries and handbag addiction!! :o

I am the exact same! You should see me in Boots! I go in to buy shampoo or something and end up spending a hundred euro! Actually, I just have a shopping addiction in general.

But yeah, I checked! I do indeed have Essence make up and for only the price of it, ya can't go wrong, great stuff :) What's the gel blush? Is it a bit like Benetint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Yeah I get the Essence eyeliner and liquid eyeliner and sometimes eyeshadows and nail varnish if I can't make it in to Boots. I love the eyeliner.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I am the exact same! You should see me in Boots! I go in to buy shampoo or something and end up spending a hundred euro! Actually, I just have a shopping addiction in general.

But yeah, I checked! I do indeed have Essence make up and for only the price of it, ya can't go wrong, great stuff :) What's the gel blush? Is it a bit like Benetint?

You sound like me, when I'm in a chemist its like a sweet shop!! Shower gels, shampoos. make up, facemasks, hairmasks!! anything!!

Kinda it looks like a lip gloss and come in a squeezy tube like a lip gloss, I put some on the hand and rubbed it in, thought it would be sticky but rubbed in lovely.

Can't wait to get my hands on that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I like their blush (nice colours, big pot) and eye liners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

i used to eye liner was good but not as good as the pennys one :)
    the lip gloss,s are nice too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Their liquid eyeliner is legendary. Stayed on me 17 hours on saturday night and was still in place and perfect when I finally left the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

I find their nail varnishes to be very good and the manicure related ones to be excellent, in fact, the best I've found.

The eyeshadow I also use. Loads of lovely colours and a great price but I find they don't last very long. So, still worth a buy but remember to keep topping up regularly.

I've used their mascara too and I find it very good. Considering the price. I have a favourite mascara from LOreal but use the Essence stuff as a secondary mascara.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Can i anyone tell me if you can use it on sensitive skin, i asked girl in chemist and she wasnt sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've somewhat sensitive skin and eyes and I've never had aproboem with using it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

[QUOTE=Novella;61503594]I may be completely off the mark here, but is Essence sold in Penney's?! If so, yeah, I've used it! I have the highlighter and a load of eye shadows and things! 3.50 is an absolute bargain for foundation, can't believe it's that good! I'm definitely gonna throw some in my basket next time! :)[/QUOTE]

Nope its not the Penneys stuff.

I use their nail varnishes which are as good as any really. I didnt like their bronzer, went really patchy and shiny, their powder was the same. I love their lip sticks and lip blams, they have a lovely falvour off them too! Their eye shadows are also really good and come in a wide variety of colours

Oh and they do a version of the Maybeline Mat Mousse which i find is actually better than the origional, lasts longer, feels nicer on the skin and is more natural looking.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sarah.Roo

Essence is great.. they have loads of stuff.. i love the eyeliners and eye shaddows as well. !! i have one of the foundations! it smells nice as well.. and its oil free ! love it ! x

Regarding the sensitive skin it should be fine. I have tres sensitive skin, can't use lots of stuff and I have no probs with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I love their eyeshadows but I haven't used anything else of theirs. I must get more!

Went in to Blanch today to buy a few bits and all the stuff in the Dunnes one were grotty and manky and the one in the pharmacy is closed because of the strike. Guess I'll have to wait until Dunnes restock :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

The best Essence makeup stand I've seen is actually in my local pharmacy, the ones in Dunnes etc are always half empty - maybe check out pharmacies near you?

Hiltons chemist in rathfarnham village do quite a large range of their make-up.

Do you know of any chain pharmacy's that sell it. Do Unicare stock it?

• Advertisement

I havent seen it in unicare in nutgrove but i think boots have it, not sure though.there is a website called beauty.ie that lists stockists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I have only tried out a few nail things and I love their "on the go" stuff, like I have a mini bottle of an anti bacterial hand cream and a little re-sealable pack of hand wipes. My nieces love their make up, I might give that a go soon.
    But the best part (which I found out browsing their web page): NO animal testing :) great price and good conscious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Niamhy21

I tried the foundation after reading this thread and its really good! it's perfect for wearing to work and at €3.99 it beats the €29 i was forking out for Mac every 6 weeks!!

Advertisement