Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardstyle Music

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

delete*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

When did I mention Hardcore Breaks?

I'm expressing my opinion on Jumpstyle & Hardstyle.

do try and keep up old chap ;)
    Originally Posted by VinylJunkie View Post
    Next he be trying to tell us Hardcore Breaks are all the rage in Dublin

jonny68 wrote: »
    do try and keep up old chap ;)

Yeah I never read your post properly :D

Come on Jonny even you can't defend Hardstyle.

Yeah I never read your post properly :D

Come on Jonny even you can't defend Hardstyle.

I'm not defending it, it's not my cup of tea, however there is a market for it particulary in Holland and Scotland so im not gonna slate it.

I'm not defending it, it's not my cup of tea, however there is a market for it particulary in Holland and Scotland so im not gonna slate it.
    I don't give a toss about Holland sure they all wear sunglasses indoors and Scotland wouldn't exactly be the center of dance culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Yes to all them questions actually!just because it isn't commercial it doesn't mean it's unpopular, there is a huge underground hardstyle scene fullstop. I'm not saying it is my favourite kind of music, yes I like it, i'm not big into it, I know loads who are but my point is that it is a lot more popular than you think and not just with pill filled teenagers. It is extremely popular worlwide, Qdance, Sensation Black, Thunderdome, Kiddstock.. They are all massif ****ing events!And when you say it isn't the most popular type of dance music in Ireland at the moment, that is true when you are referring to mainstream but undergound it's huge.

So where would one go to buy a hardstyle record in Ireland?

Who are the big promoters?

Where are the Irish labels?

You've got a golden opportunity to tell someone who has been balls-deep in underground Irish dance music culture for over a decade about this phenomenal upswelling of underground Irish hardstyle culture, and all I'm seeing are youtube videos of hyperactive Belgians and people talking about under 18's nights in Lucan...

I don't give a toss about Holland sure they all wear sunglasses indoors and Scotland wouldn't exactly be the center of dance culture.

tiesto-4.jpg
    CalvinHarris.jpg

Sometimes roles are reversed but outcome remains the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

epic-fail-warning-win.jpg

They all wear sunglasses indoors no that's Milan you mean :p have you been to Holland?Clubs and Raves there put us to shame, Scotland as well incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

what a valuable contribution by jonny. how the times ever let him go is a question we'll never get an answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Many large rave promotions now include hardcore breaks on the line up and it is recognised as its own entity.

Sorry, but Wikipedia doesn't normally stand up as a reputable source in debates. I could quite easily go and edit that to say "Hardcore Breaks is a genre of music entirely invented by Johnny68, and is known only to the posters of Boards.ie".

Sorry, but Wikipedia doesn't normally stand up as a reputable source in debates. I could quite easily go and edit that to say "Hardcore Breaks is a genre of music entirely invented by Johnny68, and is known only to the posters of Boards.ie".

tempted. soooo tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

They all wear sunglasses indoors no that's Milan you mean :p have you been to Holland?Clubs and Raves there put us to shame, Scotland as well incidentally.

I have to completely agree with Johnny on that one. I've lived in Holland and the clubs there sh!te on ours from a height. We've got one proper club in the whole country, Kelly's, and its not even in the republic. What's Irelands biggest ever selling dance track? Maniac 2000!! Dutch clubbing>Irish clubbing by a mile.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I have to completely agree with Johnny on that one. I've lived in Holland and the clubs there sh!te on ours from a height. We've got one proper club in the whole country, Kelly's, and its not even in the republic. What's Irelands biggest ever selling dance track? Maniac 2000!! Dutch clubbing>Irish clubbing by a mile.

Ok answer me this because you are swaying off the point.

What music is played in the big clubs in Holland? oh and Scotland?

In fairness to johnny, I've definitely heard of hardcore breaks, and there is a bit of a scene about it.

A mate of mine releases new school jungle techno and the sort heads who put that out have a small overlap with some of the heads and labels from the hardcore breaks scene...

I do know that the hardcore breaks scene is partially made up of ex happy hardcore heads, many of whom regretted splitting the rave scene back in 94, and i know one oldschool legend from back in teh day who has had extremely cheesy remixes done (without his permission) of his old tunes in a modern "hardcore breaks" way for some ministry of sound compilation...

Daroxtar wrote: »

There's many better clubs than Kelly's in Ireland tbh, but that's hardly the point.

Holland has four times our population in an area a third of the size of our country - of COURSE they have better clubs than we do.

As for the biggest ever selling dance track being maniac 2000, believe you me some of the stuff that got into the dance charts when i was growing up over there is miles worse.

Besides - they like hardstyle and trance in Holland, in a big way, so i reckon we have the better end of the bargain here TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Same type of music they play anywhere else, depends on the night and the club. Depends on the city too. You'll hear a lot more harder edged music in Rotterdam than Amsterdam. Rotterdam has some incredible clubs like Nighttown or NowandWow. Amsterdam has Escape and the Hague has Paard. All of these clubs play different styles on different nights.

In fairness to johnny, I've definitely heard of hardcore breaks, and there is a bit of a scene about it.

A mate of mine releases new school jungle techno and the sort heads who put that out have a small overlap with some of the heads and labels from the hardcore breaks scene...

I do know that the hardcore breaks scene is partially made up of ex happy hardcore heads, many of whom regretted splitting the rave scene back in 94, and i know one oldschool legend from back in teh day who has had extremely cheesy remixes done (without his permission) of his old tunes in a modern "hardcore breaks" way for some ministry of sound compilation...

Ah yeah I'm not disputing the fact that it exists, just protesting against the use of wikipedia to back up an argument ;)

Ah yeah I'm not disputing the fact that it exists, just protesting against the use of wikipedia to back up an argument ;)

• Advertisement

fcuks sake man your post is nothing short of ridiculous ,very ridiculous in fact:rolleyes:

did i invent all of this too :rolleyes:
    http://www.imorecords.com/Products/hardcorebreaksnurave/full-catalogue/0/
    http://www.hardcorelives.co.uk/ring/?ring=1
    http://www.nu-rave.com/
    http://www.backtotheoldskool.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=768d725a99d2a10576fdbc14f39dccd6

Pretty much on the ball here except the HCB scene is primarily made up of people from the original Rave/Hardcore scene and not happy hardcore,although there are some lads in their early 20's who have release some tunage.

Nothing whatsoever in my post is ridiculous...All it would take for me to do exactly as I said in my post would be to click the [edit] button on the bottom right...I also say nothing about Hardcore Breaks not existing, I'm just refuting Wikipedia as a way to back up an argument. Go and quote from Wikipedia in a college essay and see what happens.

Nothing whatsoever in my post is ridiculous...All it would take for me to do exactly as I said in my post would be to click the [edit] button on the bottom right...I also say nothing about Hardcore Breaks not existing, I'm just refuting Wikipedia as a way to back up an argument. Go and quote from Wikipedia in a college essay and see what happens.

If you really think im going to go to the trouble of actually creating a musical genre that doesn't exist so i can post it in this forum then that is warped, im not suggesting wikipedia is the bastion of truth but more often than not it's on the ball.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

9 pages on hardstyle music! I bet lots here secretly shuffle around their bedrooms with hardstyle bangin away on the stereo... :pac:

Perhaps this will put an end to idiots saying there is no HCB scene now (or that it doesn't exist) it's amazing how people can comment about a scene they know absolutely jack sh*t about, the act of the matter is HCB exists and that's all there is to it.

• Advertisement

Perhaps this will put an end to idiots saying there is no HCB scene now (or that it doesn't exist) it's amazing how people can comment about a scene they know absolutely jack sh*t about, the act of the matter is HCB exists and that's all there is to it.

Cheers for the sly dig there. I never once said the scene never existed...I was just pointing out that it's common knowledge that you can't use wikipedia to back up an argument...

Cheers for the sly dig there. I never once said the scene never existed...I was just pointing out that it's common knowledge that you can't use wikipedia to back up an argument...
    you could've just googled it yourself and seen it and we wouldn't have had this;) anyway enough yiz can go back to arguing about Hardstyle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Love all Hardstyle Hard trance music ie Alex Kidd Yoji Boheminika to Name but a few. ****ing love it.... bring on Planet Love Again Lol

i-want-to-believe.jpg

All those websites look like the were made on geocities...by the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Speaking of hardstyle, Rotterdam Terror Corps have to be one of the worst things about electronic music (of any form). Topless dancers on stage, fireworks etc.... I know the dutch can be cheesy, but for **** sake!! Worst is, its the likes of RTC who are hugely popular in the Netherlands. Hardstyle is mainstream in that country, which is quite unusual really.

Pretty much on the ball here except the HCB scene is primarily made up of people from the original Rave/Hardcore scene and not happy hardcore,although there are some lads in their early 20's who have release some tunage.

Most of the Happy Hardcore old guard are from the original rave scene Johnny, they just split in the wrong direction when it all went pearshaped...

Slipmatt plays an animal old Jungle set if you book him to do that, but when the scene split he chose the path of four four kickdrums and helium vocals, loads of those boys did likewise, and many of them are the ones making HCB now...

Rotterdam Terrorcorps aren't really hardstyle though, they're just the cheesy commercial end of Gabber (these days)

****mat is just all over the ****in place... His latest album 'One Foot In The Rave' isnt exactly helium vocaled happy ****, its quite a decent album in my opinion

Slipmatt - not ****matt

;)

only noticed that there.... :)

jtsuited wrote: »
    i-want-to-believe.jpg

Jsuited pictured making some minimal :p:D

fat-fail.jpg

Most of the Happy Hardcore old guard are from the original rave scene Johnny, they just split in the wrong direction when it all went pearshaped...

Slipmatt plays an animal old Jungle set if you book him to do that, but when the scene split he chose the path of four four kickdrums and helium vocals, loads of those boys did likewise, and many of them are the ones making HCB now...

I liked both although i could no longer stand Haooy Hardcore after 1994 but Jungle Raves for the most part were horrible places to go with fights and shootings, ok if your into that type of thing but you can hardly blame the original Hardcore crew for choosing Happy Hardcore.

I liked both although i could no longer stand Haooy Hardcore after 1994 but Jungle Raves for the most part were horrible places to go with fights and shootings, ok if your into that type of thing but you can hardly blame the original Hardcore crew for choosing Happy Hardcore.

This is very true, of course... I wasn't out raving in 93 / 94, certainly not in London, but I'm pretty sure the fights and shootings in Ireland weren't happening at the Jungle nights here - they were all going on at the likes of Sides and the Asylum where jungle never really got a look in!

As for "the original hardcore crew" as far as I'm concerned 4 Hero, Danny Breaks, A Sides, Randall, Fabio, Bukem, Hype, SS, Ratty and Tango and all the rest definitely jumped the right way musically...

I'll give you one thing though, Happy Hardcore was sweet for about a year, when they still had chopped up breakbeats rolling on top of four to the floor kickdrums - Hixxy and Sharkey "Toytown" is a classic that's up there with the best of any other genre; it's just that evolutionarily it was a complete musical dead end... If dance music is a body then happy hardcore was it's appendix.

I don't care what the Techno snobs say, that's ****ing fantastic

Those melodies would rot the teeth clean out of your head!

Some bad-ass breakbeats in there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AdamTheDub

I don't see what the big malarky is...
    Like the type of music you listen to is down to you
    I like hardstyle, its one of my favourite genres next to uplifting and hard trance, I'd listen to it nearly everyday. Some people listen to clubland everyday, some D'n'B, some trad ceol for all I know xD

I'm probably the only person here who'd kill for a HHZ gig in Ireland though :rolleyes: lolz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

Well when I was in Hersonissos, Crete during the summer the best clubs there were Hardstyle/Gabber clubs. Admittedly they were Dutch but they were fantastic.

Nation 98 wrote: »
    Well when I was in Hersonissos, Crete during the summer the best clubs there were Hardstyle/Gabber clubs. Admittedly they were Dutch but they were fantastic.
    A club full of big, loud Dutch lads. Sounds unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 richie1239

Hahaha, just rediscovered this post I made two years ago.
    Some of the pointless arguments people have on these forums are hilarious.
    Anyway my music style has changed alot since then, still into hardstyle, not as much as previously, but recently been getting into progressive, dnb and a load of dubstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

richie1239 wrote: »
    Hahaha, just rediscovered this post I made two years ago.
    Some of the pointless arguments people have on these forums are hilarious.
    Anyway my music style has changed alot since then, still into hardstyle, not as much as previously, but recently been getting into progressive, dnb and a load of dubstep.

+1

Love Hardstyle too, no better music to run upon in the gym :)

Favourite liveset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZKQIHlLkY
    Into this tune atm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3egmgVG5aFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

I don't care what the Techno snobs say, that's ****ing fantastic

Those melodies would rot the teeth clean out of your head!

Some bad-ass breakbeats in there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciannor

Rhand wrote: »
    +1

Love Hardstyle too, no better music to run upon in the gym :)

Favourite liveset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZKQIHlLkY
    Into this tune atm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3egmgVG5aFA

Noisecontrollers always great livesets idd,

My all time favourite would be Inqontrol Frontliner

http://lsdb.nl/set/45838/frontliner-in-qontrol-2010-saveexitplanet-18-04-10.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had a big soft spot for some of the early newstyle Thunderdome stuff from 1998-2001. Stuff before and after was all to samey tho I thought.

Advertisement