Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a floor please

Options
  • 07-08-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

We need a floor for the entire downstairs for a holiday home (with multiple owners). Its an area that will get a fair bit of usage, with sand and grit being brought in from outside on peoples shoes. We cannot agree on wood or tiles.
    Those in favour of wood claim that is warmer and would look better in the living room than tiles. There's also the acoustics, tiles would be noisy.
    Those in favour of tiles claim that wood will not stand up to heavy usage and that we would be f***ed if water leaks when the house is empty. The area is roughly 50sq yds and we don't have shed loads of money for flooring. Whatever we choose cannot be too dark as we want to keep the house as bright as possible.
    Help please !! Wood, tiles or any other suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭skippy15

again can go either way here....ill vote for a light creamy tiled floor.
    Neutral will stand up to more abuse and take more water damage dirt etc....but im sure you'll get lots people on either side of fence here-

Both can be done for reasonable price and at push you cut fit either too if money tight- good luck this will wreck your head for a while by sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

did you ever think of lino. you can get some tough lino with wood of tiled effect. you dont really have the noise problem. and easily cleaned/mopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

They had wood effect tiles in right price tiles. I was admiring them cos the are just the colour wood floor i wanted. Then i realised they were tiles. They looked good i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would go for Amtico in one colour, maybe wood effect.
    No Borders or any other costly add-ons just straight runs.
    It isn't cheap but it is not that expensive either, and will last much better than wood and be easier to keep clean than tiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

jos28 wrote: »
    We need a floor for the entire downstairs for a holiday home (with multiple owners). Its an area that will get a fair bit of usage, with sand and grit being brought in from outside on peoples shoes. We cannot agree on wood or tiles.
    Those in favour of wood claim that is warmer and would look better in the living room than tiles. There's also the acoustics, tiles would be noisy.
    Those in favour of tiles claim that wood will not stand up to heavy usage and that we would be f***ed if water leaks when the house is empty. The area is roughly 50sq yds and we don't have shed loads of money for flooring. Whatever we choose cannot be too dark as we want to keep the house as bright as possible.
    Help please !! Wood, tiles or any other suggestions ?

I got resin floor put down in my utility , hall & conservatory. About the same price per sq yard as tiling, I think it is great we have 2 dogs , just brush & mop , thy cannot damage it & believe me there is some dirt coming off them after a walk on a wet day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Junckers Solid floors are great but semi solid are very serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions, I had no idea there were so many alternatives. I'm off now to research some of your ideas. I'll let you know what we decide, although I might have to give Kofi Annan a call to help us reach an agreement:D

Advertisement