Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

booked for 179euro service, got charged 210. help?!

• 07-08-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

my car was due a service lately, so i checked my car into a local garage.
    the reason i picked this garage were

1- they were offering a special FULL service for 179 inc VAT, and a FREE bluetooth headset for your phone/car

2- i bought the car here, as with my last few cars. not bad service minus a few small hiccup's.

so i dropped the car in today around lunch time, and picked it up about 5:30pm.
    the service department had closed, so i picked up the key from the sales deck. the invoice was there too.

on the invoice it showed the work done, and the total cost.
    it was over 210 euro inc vat.
    i said to the sales assistant, whats going on, i asked for the 179 service.
    he didnt have a clue what i was on about. i showed him the 20ftx40ft sign outside the shop, and he shrugged and said, you'll have to ask service on monday.
    i needed my car badly so i had to pay as they have a policy to keep the car keys until payment is recieved in full.
    after reading the invoice over, ive been charged for this

service labour 115.50
    sundries 8.50
    environmental disposal 13.50
    brake fluid 0.2 3.50
    spark plug fr7dcx 1.1 x4 12.50
    air filter 17.35
    screen wash 2.00
    sump plug gasket 1.49
    oil filter 10.48

total parts 69.82
    vat 9.42
    total labour 115.50
    vat 15.59

total amount due 210.33

now, where did it all go wrong? i rang tuesday and booked for the advertised 179inc vat and bluetooth adapter.
    not the special, screw you blind while your not here and then keep your car for the weekend unless you pay deal.

so, any suggestions on what happened?
    my understanding of a full service is
    oil changed, brake discs replaced, plugs, filter's and fluid's changed.
    im not usually 1 to complain over 30 euro, but the brakes are still squeeking and they wrote on the invoice i need my timing belt changed in 1,000 miles time.

help?!

Comments

A basic service does not include brake pads or discs, they are correct to advice you of an timing belt being due soon, you seem fairly clueless with cars so it is no harm you now know you are due a belt. Nothing there that is outside what a full service would entail, ring them Monday and ask what did they do outside of the scope of a full service. Interestingly there is no actual oil on that receipt. Over a hundred labour is a lot for an oil, filter and plug change too. Wouldn't take them 2 hours to do that.

Out of interest is your car a Volvo or a Saab :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

RoverJames wrote: »
    A basic service does not include brake pads or discs, they are correct to advice you of an timing belt being due soon, you seem fairly clueless with cars so it is no harm you now know you are due a belt. Nothing there that is outside what a full service would entail, ring them Monday and ask what did they do outside of the scope of a full service. Interestingly there is no actual oil on that receipt. Over a hundred labour is a lot for an oil, filter and plug change too. Wouldn't take them 2 hours to do that.

thanks for the reply, no thanks for the glub remark at my low knowledge of this sort of thing lol.

so its not out of the ordinary, but should they not have rang me to advise of the additional costs? are they allowed to do work and charge me without my consent? i specifically asked for the 179euro service, as thats all i can really afford :/

Out of interest is your car a Volvo or a Saab :D

heh, dont laugh at this, but its a 05 chevrolet lecatti 1.4.

Apologies, you misunderstood my reply, they should only have charged you the €179, there is nothing there outside the scope of what a full service entails. Which is why you should ring them and question them and expect your 31 quid refunded. That spark plug part number is for Saab and Volvo. In future I would go to an independent garage. Or go to one doing €99 basic services and do the plugs and air filter yourself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

heh, dont laugh at this, but its a 05 chevrolet lecatti 1.4.
    LOL

sorry about that

Apologies, you misunderstood my reply, they should only have charged you the €179, there is nothing there outside the scope of what a full service entails. Which is why you should ring them and question them and expect your 31 quid refunded. That spark plug part number is for Saab and Volvo. In future I would go to an independent garage. Or go to one doing €99 basic services and do the plugs and air filter yourself ;)

thanks james, ill ring them monday. next time ill do the oil, brakes and plugs myself.
    LOL

sorry about that

hey now, its a car. it had 15k km on the clock, and it cost less than 9k.
    it also has a nice bodykit, very nice alloy's and very well looked after.

but yeah lol. its a daewoo.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bad form there. All that stuff is basic stuff but the main issue is they Have to ring you if you need work done outside what was agreed. Not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

In future I would go to an independent garage. Or go to one doing €99 basic services and do the plugs and air filter yourself ;)
    I just so love this go get an "indy" garage as most people seem to refer to the back street garage as nowadays, makes em seem so hip and happening and cool and stuff !
    Your telling me that an "independent" garage ( independent meaning back street, as they don't sell new cars) , is never going to rob ya ? You ever go to these back street "indy" garages ? I have, some are good some are complete robbers so give it over with this perception that all back street so called "independent" garages are somewhat akin to the St Vincent De Paul.

And not to many people would be happy fitting plugs and air filters, if they where don't ya think they would be able to do the oil and brakes themselves aswell ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I wonder was the word “from” in small text before the “€179”?

Either way the invoice makes no sense because there is no charge for oil. Make sure you go back on Monday and point this out so they can bill you for the oil too :)

There is no such thing as an all encompassing “full service”. Cars should be serviced as per a manufacturers prescribed schedule. This varies from model to model as well as for different mileages.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    You ever go to these back street "indy" garages ? I have, some are good some are complete robbers

In fairness the same can be said of main dealers too.

In general, there is better value to be found in indies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

I just so love this go get an "indy" garage as most people seem to refer to the back street garage as nowadays, makes em seem so hip and happening and cool and stuff !
    Your telling me that an "independent" garage ( independent meaning back street, as they don't sell new cars) , is never going to rob ya ? You ever go to these back street "indy" garages ? I have, some are good some are complete robbers so give it over with this perception that all back street so called "independent" garages are somewhat akin to the St Vincent De Paul.

And not to many people would be happy fitting plugs and air filters, if they where don't ya think they would be able to do the oil and brakes themselves aswell ???

many an indy can supply any new car at the same price, most likely usually less than a main dealer, being an indy is not being a back street garage, please be at least reasonable your comments, grow up, you give the impression of being the silver spoon fed kid of a main (mean) dealer (steeler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I wonder was the word “from” in small text before the “€179”?
    Either way the invoice makes no sense because there is no charge for oil. Make sure you go back on Monday and point this out so they can bill you for the oil too :)

There is no such thing as an all encompassing “full service”. Cars should be serviced as per a manufacturers prescribed schedule. This varies from model to model as well as for different mileages.
    In fairness the same can be said of main dealers too.
    In general, there is better value to be found in indies.

Good reply/advice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

I got my car serviced and timing belt done today in a main dealer.
    When I rang to book it in, I got a quote of €549 (timing 400, service 150).
    I got a text while I was on my way to collect it stating "car ready, outstanding balance, €644"! I was fairly annoyed, but when I got there I calmly said I was quoted €549. He changed it with no quibble.

I think they do this on the off-chance that some people will say nothing and pay up (probably happened a lot during the Celtic Tiger years!)

I know the service desk was closed when you got there, but as stated by other posters, don't let it go, ring them Monday morning for a refund of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I agree. I'm a bit suspicious of these "€99" services that are going about. If people believe maintaining a car only involves changing the oil and a new filter every year or so they are going to pay dearly for their ignorance.

To clarify
    1) I meant a reputable independent garage that would be recommeded by another customer. Use back street if you like. Many of them are very good and all rely on their good name for repeat business to make their living. I know many of them in Cork City and County who are excellent. I used to work in the car parts businness and have had dealings with main dealers also, a good independent mechanic is often far more knowledgable than the main dealer ones. I wasn't trying to be hip at all.

2) Changing oil involves jacking the car up and securing it before one slides under it to open the drain plug, also many oil filters are accessed from the bottom of the engine bay. Potentially messy and may take 30 mins for the novice DIY mechanic. On most mainstream cars the sparkplugs are easy to access and change, the air filters are often changeable in seconds without any tools at all. So I would consider my advice above reasonable. Changing brake pads is simple on some cars but on others special tools are required to adjust the calipers to install the new pads, also some cars require the brake fluid drained a bit. Again not a job for a novice DIY mechanic.

I would confidently take any non mechanical person and in half an hour show them how to change spark plugs and air filters and be confident they could do so on the vast majority of cars on Irish roads.

I wouldn't say the same about the brake pads, the oil change yes but as I said it's potentially messy.

Advertisement