Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 20 Relaxing tunes

Options
  • 07-08-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

What are the most relaxing classical songs ever? For my part, I always thought the Clair de Lune was brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I always liked Ravel's Bolero.

It's kind of dramatic at the end which kind of removes it's relaxing atmosphere but I dont mind.

Oh and Air on the G string by Bach.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Clair de Lune is beautiful and so calming but my favourite piece to relax to has to be Satie's Gnossiennes No 1, it's just so eerily soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pachelbel's "Canon". Just.... nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

Aglomerado wrote: »

Just listened to it on Youtube there Anglomerado: It's grand altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I adore Claire de Lune, although I find it much more pleasurable to listen to when the piano is only accompanying it and the violin is leading. :)

Erbarme Dich is another personal favourite of mine, always soothes my aching soul when it needs healing. :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Its hard to beat Debussy on this one in my opinion. Although the more modern Einaudi has some very chillaxing tunes as well.

I have just discovered Liszt's Liebestarum. It should also probably deserve to be on this list. Reminds me of the song in Michael Collins when the party at dinner find that they "have brought the British Government to their knees". Unfortunately I don't kknow the name of that song but this is truly excellent. It can be heard at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6hdDOFtW64

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The song I think is 'Macushla'. Funny, I never noticed the similarity till you mentioned it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Debussy's Prelude to the evening of a faun. Anything by Debussy really.

I have discovered one or two debussy songs that I like to be honest. For those interested, I found another (obviously not by Debussy) that I like: Pietro Mascagni, Cavalerria Rusticana- Intermezzo. Slightly sad, but wow. Can be viewed at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OvsVSWB4TI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Barber's Adagio for Strings is a great soundtrack to an un-winding session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Bach's Sleepers Awake would be up there for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BeardedLeftie

Songs My Mother Taught Me: Dvorak
    Morning: Grieg
    Cello Suite No.1 Prelude: JSB
    Op. 37 No. 1 Nocturne:Chopin

To name a few (or four :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yep, that's what my suggestion was going to be. If we can digress from classical/orchestral music though, I have to say that Enya's music is deeply relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Anything pastoral by Bach; (almost) directly on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxTcuZaeUQ

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Satie's Gymnopedie 1, 2 & 3 are fantastic as are the aforementioned Gnossienne and Barber's Adagio for Strings.
    I also love the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs by Henryk Gorecki.
    Vaughan-Williams Lark Ascending is another very tranquil piece.
    The first movement of Griegs Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 is another.
    The Swan from Camille Saint-Saëns Carnival of the Animals and the adagio from Beethovens 'Moonlight' are two more that come to mind.
    I'm sure there are many, many more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ennio Morricone's 'Nella Fantasia':
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wYsBmdpFQ&feature=fvw

Ennio Morricone's 'Gabriel's Oboe':
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=9i53wNgH5wU

'Gabriel's Oboe' is from Morricone's movie The Mission, with 'Nella Fantasia' being merely a different version of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I love Yo-Yo Ma's version of it, very nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulclesham

Pachelbel's Canon without a doubt!

Norrdeth wrote: »
    I love Yo-Yo Ma's version of it, very nice!!

It's such a good piece of music... ...How does simple sound make a person so emotional?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hermy wrote: »
    Satie's Gymnopedie 1, 2 & 3 are fantastic as are the aforementioned Gnossienne and Barber's Adagio for Strings.
    ............... the adagio from Beethovens 'Moonlight' are two more that come to mind.

Satie was a genius of understated piano melodies, also I would include some contemporary pieces like Marta Sebesteyn Szerelem & there are selected pieces of Wagners' Gotterdamerung & the Goldberg variations of Bach that are very also relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Advertisement