Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coca Cola Secretly importing Cheap Cola to Ireland

• 07-08-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Guy,
    I work in a shop and today a slab of coca cola cans came from our "cash and carry".
    On the top of the cans it has this written:

"coca-cola hbc italia S.R.L SEDE MILANO"
    "STABILIMENTO:"
    "NOGARA (VR)"

I compared this can to a older one we sell which we received from the same "cash and carry" 2 weeks ago.

The older one had no writing on the top of the can.

The labeling is exactly the same.

I opened the two different can's and the cola tasted differently :eek:

It seems like Coca Cola are importing cheap Italian cola from Italy to Ireland and rebranding them for the Irish market.

I have also noticed the same writing on top of cans sold in Tesco.

Anyone Else notice this?

Codan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

codan wrote: »
    Hi Guy,
    I work in a shop and today a slab of coca cola cans came from our "cash and carry".

"NOGARA (VR)"

I compared this can to a older one we sell which we received from the same "cash and carry" 2 weeks ago.

It seems like Coca Cola are importing cheap Italian cola from Italy to Ireland and rebranding them for the Irish market.

Anyone Else notice this?

Codan

yeah, welcome to 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

or maybe they're just buying the coke from italy cos it could be cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

yep, me too

Italian Coke is (if possible) even sweeter than the Southern Irish brewed stuff I can taste the difference between Northern Irish Coke and the usual stuff as well

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Hi Guy,

"NOGARA (VR)"

Anyone Else notice this?

Codan

Looks like the Cash & Carry is importing from abroad & anyway so what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Coke from Chinese takeaways is always in a Chinese can

Cola is revolting anyway so I don't care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Foreign coke
    Foreign hookers

Bring on the Lisbon Treaty

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

mud wrote: »
    yep, me too

Italian Coke is (if possible) even sweeter than the Southern Irish brewed stuff I can taste the difference between Northern Irish Coke and the usual stuff as well

'Irish' Coca Cola for north/south is made in Lambeg NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 codan

Well our cash and carry is a major chain and the labeling is the same as older Irish cans. So the italian Cola has Irish phone number on it. So Coca cola Ireland are responible for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Darn those imperialist capitalistic pigs and their satanist actions!
    Down with that sort of thing. Viva La revolution!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It actually tastes nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well our cash and carry is a major chain and the labeling is the same as older Irish cans. So the italian Cola has Irish phone number on it. So Coca cola Ireland are responible for it.

Why don't you ring Coca-Cola and tell them you've found them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 codan

Aidric wrote: »
    It actually tastes nicer.

Its noticable sweeter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can't see why they wouldn't, unless it's a different brand of cola it's perfectly legal in the EU. Suppliers (including wholesalers like Cash and Carry) are being squeezed by all business's (especially big supermarkets like Tesco and Supervalue) to get the best deals possible in the recession to compete with other stores, especially Lidl, Aldi and the likes. The wholesalers will have to compete with other wholesalers, so importing cheaper cola would be a way to stay competitive yet still pull out some kind of profit.
    This is good in a way, eventually the Irish coca-cola branch will have to cop-on and reduce staff wages to reduce prices. It's part of resetting Ireland's over-inflated wages. However, the workers would probably strike, the company will pull out and it'll increase unemployment...again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate when you go into a restaurant and you order coke and it's obviously a crappy watered down knock off. I just order tea now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Benny-c wrote: »
    'Irish' Coca Cola for north/south is made in Lambeg NI.

coca cola are building a new factory in waterford or somewhere, it will be made here again soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

It's probably just not economically viable to put that much drain-cleaner in each can anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dankoozy wrote: »

Heard about that then seen a documentary on it.
    Quite shocking stuff. One part was about they stealing water from farmers water supply and their fields so that their factories can run better, leaving the poor scrambling in the dirt for the few seeds that might have grown a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I got a can of italian coke there recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

"I opened the two different can's and the cola tasted differently"

hope you paid, or you could get sacked for shoplifting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Hi Guy...

HI!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh no, call the presses, like.

News flash, You'd be able to find a difference between Burger King coke and McDonalds coke if you tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

It's called parallel importing, importing a genuine product from another country that was designed to only be sold in that market. Many of the convenience stores in Dublin often have Coke imported from Georgia or other places, sometimes there's a sticker with the ingredients in English stuck on if it's not on the can/bottle, as that's a requirement for sale here.

There's nothing illegal about parallel/grey importing, but Coca-Cola Ireland wouldn't be too happy about it, and if you report somewhere to them, they'll put pressure on them to stop, and buy from their bottlers here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cola is revolting anyway so I don't care
    I'll never thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some of our money even has foreign symbols on it?

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ya, i noticed it myself, i thought i was getting a great deal buying cheap coca cola in Tesco's but you're right it does taste different and not in a good way, i checked the use-by date and that was ok, i never thought to look at where it was manufactured tho. Good spot.
    so shall we all boycott Coca Cola products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Foreign coke
    Foreign hookers

Bring on the Lisbon Treaty

I wonder will the foreign hookers taste different as well.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

so shall we all boycott Coca Cola products?

Maybe we could all make up our own minds and not rely on strangers on the Internet to make our decisions.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Maybe we could all make up our own minds and not rely on strangers on the Internet to make our decisions.

it was a joke. I'm not doing the lol thing to let people know i'm being humorous :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

lol.. thats not coca colas doing.. thats the cash and carry

Its hardly a secret if the origin is written on the can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

it was a joke. I'm not doing the lol thing to let people know i'm being humorous :mad:

You won't do the lol thing but smilies are OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

coke does taste different. Not perhaps in this case but def yes.

Similarly to cornflakes, they have a much higer sugar content in western countries and ciggs...same brands are practically different in every country all comming out of the one factory..

Marlboro lights from africa would poison you, Korea nice.. eastern europe more poison.. uk and ireland are similar

You won't do the lol thing but smilies are OK?

whatever Allyn:P:confused::pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Wish they would bring in some fanta from mainland europe instead of the pish we get here. Morrocan fanta would also be good, or Spanish/Italian. You can taste orange in their fantas, unlike the tasteless pish we get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Coca Cola Ireland hate this as far as I remember they tried to get agreements signed with the major cash and carries to stock only Irish coke, but no luck.
    It's perfectly legal what the cash and carries are doing though.

I second the motion that they give us Spanish Fanta though! Twas gorgeous. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Boyne Shark

Coke have two factories in Ireland that make the concentrate, one in Drogheda which is being gradually closed in favour of a bigger newer plant in Ballina Co. Mayo. The products these plants produce is then canned/bottled in several plants North and South of the border, including Lambeg.
    If this is true and these cans are being imported from abroad then perhaps Pepsi would be another choice, if these companies are playing Irish comsumers for fools that can work both ways, after all it's a free country and if we want a can of cola we can still choose the brand - for now anyway. While Irish jobs are in the firing line it makes absolutely no sense to load the guns of those doing the shooting. Choose what you buy wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

It's hardly a secret if it's written on the can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I have noticed that the bottled coke has a very sickly aftertaste recently- only in the last two months or so -like when they had cherry coke. The taste was definitely not there before. Now I stick with pepsi- tastes better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

american coca cola tastes different too because they use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. they even use it in sports drinks but over here we have dextrose and maltodextrin for ours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

http://www.joemantegna.com/TONY2.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

american coca cola tastes different too because they use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. they even use it in sports drinks but over here we have dextrose and maltodextrin for ours

I thought we put sugar in our Coke because that is what is says on the label. :eek:The corn syrup is a very noticeable difference in flavour as you can buy the American coke in a few places around Dublin. It says it has corn syrup on the label.

As already mentioned it is the grey market importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

or coca cola Ireland is importing it as part of european company strategy to keep production figures boyant across all their production/distribution plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sure that's a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

sure that's a disgrace

What's a disgrace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

in italy, the fanta is completely different. i think its watered down. the bottle it comes in also isnt clear, its tinted orange, in my opinion because its so diluted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

D.E.V.I.L. De Devil.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in italy, the fanta is completely different. i think its watered down. the bottle it comes in also isnt clear, its tinted orange, in my opinion because its so diluted.
    It's different because it isn't Fanta.

coke bought out the leading orange drink and just re-labelled as Fanta

same as if they bought out Club Orange and called Fanta

Advertisement