Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Briarhill Roundabout

• 07-08-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

lovely experience this evening...

Coming into roundabout from Monivea road in left hand lane to go straight to Dunnes, 2nd exit. lady in righthand lane decides she wants to go left towards galway clinic-1st exit. i slam on breaks as she cuts me off- she was within inches of hitting me-
    Then she Tut Tuts me as she proceeds around me and on her merry way.

Somedays I just dont know!
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Galway+roundabout+woman+friday=palpitations.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

lovely experience this evening...

Coming into roundabout from Monivea road in left hand lane to go straight to Dunnes, 2nd exit. lady in righthand lane decides she wants to go left towards galway clinic-1st exit. i slam on breaks as she cuts me off- she was within inches of hitting me-
    Then she Tut Tuts me as she proceeds around me and on her merry way.

Somedays I just dont know!
    :confused:

I'm amazed you're surprised.

I call that the Galway maneouvre. It's only in Galway that it seems to be perfectly acceptable to enter a roundabout in the right lane and then turn left. Every time I approach Galway I feel my blood pressure rising in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

It just amazes me that these people dont realise that they are in the wrong :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When people don't use indicators on roundbouts its dangerous but I understand that its not law. But when people use indicators incorrectly it's f'in dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

i. see that every day of the week on any roundabout in galway . there are people out there who shud be not be in charge of a wheel barrow never mind a car.trafic lights mean nothing anymore , they go on red and stop on green, i feel sorry for the learners who,s just starting .ive seen so many near miss,s at 3am when im bring my hubbie to work. very scary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There must have been some sort of Galway roundabout mass hysteria today. Two in a row people pulled out causing me to break suddenly on them. One was a man (made the mistake of leaving his window down so I deafened him with my horn :p ), second was a woman who had plently of time to enter the roundabout but waited until it was stupidly dangerous to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

some guy in audi cut me off on the headford road roundabout by running a red light and then he was followed by a guy on a motorbike with fancy blue lights:). Never so happy to see a gardai in galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

wow---never seen anyone pulled in galway before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Probably the closest to a crash I've come was on that roundabout.
    Coming onto the roundabout from Monivea side, right hand lane going onto the dual carraigeway.
    Woman (shock) in the left hand lane decided she wanted to go full circle around the roundabout and nearly took the front off my car. Had to slam the brakes and turn to the right to avoid her hitting me.
    Had the van driver in the lane next to me, stop and give me the ":rolleyes: women" look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A thread in the Galway forum on bad driving and bad driving on roundabouts specificilly. Galway and bad driving are like yin and yan. You cant have one without the other.

You'll never have decent driving standards in this country when the test is as half assed as it is, and drivers who learned on country bohreens (or never actually learned properly at all) are allowed to get behind the wheel. Things are improving though.

• Advertisement

bet you wouldnt tell that to the family,s who have lost a dad,brother, sister, or the 14 yr old who was knock down while on his push bike,he died few day,s ago r was it yesterday...people dont care anymore. thank god the bike with blue light,s was about .it sounds like he was after him when he went trough red light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Too many roads coming off that roundabout, it confuses some people. I hate driving around Galway, people can't handle roundabouts, that one over at Terryland is a nightmare aswell. I dunno why people gave out about the change to a junction at Moneenageisha, they didn't know how to use the effing roundabout!!!:mad:

I might understand being confused at the 2nd or third exit, but she was taking the 1st exit from the righthandlane- totally bamboozled i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

deccurley wrote: »
    Too many roads coming off that roundabout, it confuses some people. I hate driving around Galway, people can't handle roundabouts, that one over at Terryland is a nightmare aswell.
    1...I dont agree. Roundabouts are the best solution for more than an intersection. They are self regulating and dont need fancy electronics that cause traffic (moneen). That said, the moneen roundabout was lethal for people comming straight down the hill and not stopping.
    2...Yeah, problem with that terryland one (if i'm thinking of the right roundabout) is the slip road coming from the bridge. too many people either completely disregard it and cut around the roundabout or dont even look when rejoining the road. It is at just the wrong angle so that all traffic coming from behind is in your blind spot.

Citizenpain:
    Only way i can see that happening with a sane driver, is if they came from the junction there with the lights. you can end up in the wrong lane fairly easily but correcting it is simple

have ye seen them going the wrong way around the galway clinic roundabout? i did, this auld lad desided he didint want go all the way around it so he drove to the rite as if going rite at a juntion of up the clinic he went. a white van was coming out the city side and break,d hard . marks of tyres are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Roundabouts are great, people are idiots.

aido179 wrote: »
    1...I dont agree. Roundabouts are the best solution for more than an intersection. They are self regulating and dont need fancy electronics that cause traffic (moneen). That said, the moneen roundabout was lethal for people comming straight down the hill and not stopping.
    2...Yeah, problem with that terryland one (if i'm thinking of the right roundabout) is the slip road coming from the bridge. too many people either completely disregard it and cut around the roundabout or dont even look when rejoining the road. It is at just the wrong angle so that all traffic coming from behind is in your blind spot.

Citizenpain:
    Only way i can see that happening with a sane driver, is if they came from the junction there with the lights. you can end up in the wrong lane fairly easily but correcting it is simple

Correct ---she could have just driven all the way around the roundabout

blond45 wrote: »
    have ye seen them going the wrong way around the galway clinic roundabout? i did, this auld lad desided he didint want go all the way around it so he drove to the rite as if going rite at a juntion of up the clinic he went. a white van was coming out the city side and break,d hard . marks of tyres are still there.

I have seen that once
    +
    a car coming from briar hill to galway clinic on wrong side of dual carriageway-- Car was not a Galway Reg though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm not saying anything against roundabouts in general, just saying that there are a lot of roads off of that one at Briarhill and people are bound to get confused, especially older drivers who might have done their test years back when there wasn't 12,344 roundabouts in Galway.

You're thinking of the right roundabout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On Friday night I was driving towards the Briarhill roundabout on the Dual Carriageway from the Galway Clinic side. Pulled onto the Briarhill roundabout and was taking the 2nd exit to continue on along the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway. Anyway, there was a person coming out the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway in the opposite direction to me and he wanted to head back in the direction he came, so instead of going fully around the roundabout he went the wrong way around the roundabout pulling a quick u-turn. He then proceeded to drive (I would guess) well in excess of 160kmh down the Dual Carriageway. What a mong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I think I've had someone cut across at every roundabout in Galway. You learn to expect it. What's most annoying is when they get angry and blare the horn at you as if you're in the wrong. A good example is the fact that as you leave the Terryland nightmare roundabout head towards the Lisbaun disaster roundabout. The traffic is always heaviest in the right lane which implies that everyone is turning right into the lisbaun estate. But most are not, they're heading for the N6. Which means that if you're coming off the Headford road intending to turn into Lisbaun you are going to have your nose cut by some idiot in the wrong lane.

Mind you, if you thought roundabouts were bad, look at the shambles at the site of the former Monageesha roundabout. So called 'smart' lights operated by idiots. One day the traffic was backed up on Lough Atalia road all the way to the harbour and probably beyond. It was also noticeable that most cars in the jam were not Galway registered. Galway residents have probably learned not to go that way. Fascinatingly College road had practically no traffic. Bring back the roundabout I say!

i was in city those day,s when traffic that was stuck cos of those light,s, what i done was go left when i came out of the dock,s car park, went down toward,s salthill turnd right at supervalu ,stop,d at light,s ,went right when they turn,d green ,went left before the hospital ,end,d up near westside dunns, went right ,all the i sailed home even though it took me long way around .at least i got home while they were still stuck going no where fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think I've had someone cut across at every roundabout in Galway. You learn to expect it. What's most annoying is when they get angry and blare the horn at you as if you're in the wrong. A good example is the fact that as you leave the Terryland nightmare roundabout head towards the Lisbaun disaster roundabout. The traffic is always heaviest in the right lane which implies that everyone is turning right into the lisbaun estate. But most are not, they're heading for the N6. Which means that if you're coming off the Headford road intending to turn into Lisbaun you are going to have your nose cut by some idiot in the wrong lane.

Mind you, if you thought roundabouts were bad, look at the shambles at the site of the former Monageesha roundabout. So called 'smart' lights operated by idiots. One day the traffic was backed up on Lough Atalia road all the way to the harbour and probably beyond. It was also noticeable that most cars in the jam were not Galway registered. Galway residents have probably learned not to go that way. Fascinatingly College road had practically no traffic. Bring back the roundabout I say!

There was a story last week with Council coming out as saying the new system was a success during the races...no complaints for the week...I live on Lough Atalia Road. On the Thursday night at 11:30pm traffic was back all the way back to The Radisson and College Road looked like it went back to Snoozies...crazy!

Sometimes only one car will get out from Lough Atalia or College Road at the junction there when the light goes green. I don't know if they even use the Smart lights detectors anymore but when they did originally and you let someone out at the Topaz or Well Park it seemed to switch red because of the space left..so F'in annoying! And if people aren't paying attention and don't take off fast enough...grrrrrrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

. A good example is the fact that as you leave the Terryland nightmare roundabout head towards the Lisbaun disaster roundabout. The traffic is always heaviest in the right lane which implies that everyone is turning right into the lisbaun estate. But most are not, they're heading for the N6. Which means that if you're coming off the Headford road intending to turn into Lisbaun you are going to have your nose cut by some idiot in the wrong lane.

If you are heading out to the Lisbaun roundabout and turning off on either the N6 (3rd exit) or Lisbaun estate (4th exit) exits of the roundabout you "should" be in the right lane and if your coming from headford you have to yeild to traffic already on the roundabout so i dont see your what problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DD67 wrote: »
    . A good example is the fact that as you leave the Terryland nightmare roundabout head towards the Lisbaun disaster roundabout. The traffic is always heaviest in the right lane which implies that everyone is turning right into the lisbaun estate. But most are not, they're heading for the N6. Which means that if you're coming off the Headford road intending to turn into Lisbaun you are going to have your nose cut by some idiot in the wrong lane.

If you are heading out to the Lisbaun roundabout and turning off on either the N6 (3rd exit) or Lisbaun estate (4th exit) exits of the roundabout you "should" be in the right lane and if your coming from headford you have to yeild to traffic already on the roundabout so i dont see your what problem is.

Exactly, diverdriver would be clearly in the wrong to pull out onto the roundabout expecting traffic to be going all the way round to Liosban. The thing that bugs me about that roundabout is people coming from town in the left hand lane and going all the way round to the N6 exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Exactly, diverdriver would be clearly in the wrong to pull out onto the roundabout expecting traffic to be going all the way round to Liosban. The thing that bugs me about that roundabout is people coming from town in the left hand lane and going all the way round to the N6 exit.
    Bugs the shit outta me too.

Is it legal to do that move though?
    Reason I ask is, there is only one lane on the second exit[straight thru' to Headford]. If there were two lanes into that exit[Headford], it would be an illegal move to go around the roundabout in that left[outer] lane.

If you are driving from the magic roundabout towards that roundabout in the right[inner] lane, you cannot go straight thru' to the Headford exit, as there is only one lane on that exit.
    That's my understanding, if it makes sense :p

On topic of the Briarhill roundabout, I use it every day, coming from the airport towards Dunnes.
    Two lanes, I use the left[outer] lane to take the second exit to Dunnes. Some folk beside me on the right[inner] lane go and take the same exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DeadSkin wrote: »

Reason I ask is, there is only one lane on the second exit[straight thru' to Headford]. If there were two lanes into that exit[Headford], it would be an illegal move to go around the roundabout in that left[outer] lane.

If you are driving from the magic roundabout towards that roundabout in the right[inner] lane, you cannot go straight thru' to the Headford exit, as there is only one lane on that exit.

On topic of the Briarhill roundabout, I use it every day, coming from the airport towards Dunnes.
    Two lanes, I use the left[outer] lane to take the second exit to Dunnes. Some folk beside me on the right[inner] lane go and take the same exit.

No. its not legal, either by the old "3rd or subsequent exit" rule or the newer "12 o'clock " rule for entering a roundabout in the right hand lane. I've even had people come alongside me in the left hand lane (I was in RH lane going to N6 exit) and drive all the way round to Liosban exit, so I had to brake sharply as they came round in front of me... :rolleyes:
    You're using the Briarhill roundabout correctly, but some folk coming from Parkmore get into the wrong lane by accident and then go straight ahead, can be an easy mistake to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Coming out the N6 Dual Carriageway and arriving at the roundabout at Oranmore. First exit is to continue on the N6 (single carriageway) to Dublin, second exit is for the N18 to Shannon & Limerick, 3rd & final exit is for Oranmore. The amount of people who wrongly use the right hand lane entering the roudabout from the Dual Carriageway when they are taking the 2nd exit for the N18 is unbelievable.

However, I think it would make sense to have special lane markings on the Dual Carriageway instructing N6 traffic to take the left lane and N18 + Oranmore traffic to use the right hand lane. Very few people actually take the Oranmore exit having travelled along the Dual Carriageway, most enter the village via the previous roundabout. So it's mostly N6 and N18 traffic. Would be better to split the traffic over the 2 lanes - it would improve traffic flow and we wouldn't have the dangerous situation that we have now of people (correctly) using the left lane and people also (wrongly) using the right lane.
    Similar special lane markings have been done Eastbound on the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway approaching the Briarhill roundabout - R339 traffic is instructed to use the left lane and N6 traffic to use the right lane.

KevR wrote: »
    Coming out the N6 Dual Carriageway and arriving at the roundabout at Oranmore. First exit is to continue on the N6 (single carriageway) to Dublin, second exit is for the N18 to Shannon & Limerick, 3rd & final exit is for Oranmore. The amount of people who wrongly use the right hand lane entering the roudabout from the Dual Carriageway when they are taking the 2nd exit for the N18 is unbelievable.

However, I think it would make sense to have special lane markings on the Dual Carriageway instructing N6 traffic to take the left lane and N18 + Oranmore traffic to use the right hand lane. Very few people actually take the Oranmore exit having travelled along the Dual Carriageway, most enter the village via the previous roundabout. So it's mostly N6 and N18 traffic. Would be better to split the traffic over the 2 lanes - it would improve traffic flow and we wouldn't have the dangerous situation that we have now of people (correctly) using the left lane and people also (wrongly) using the right lane.
    Similar special lane markings have been done Eastbound on the Ballybrit Dual Carriageway approaching the Briarhill roundabout - R339 traffic is instructed to use the left lane and N6 traffic to use the right lane.

Ignored by 8/10 people in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

my mother admits to using the LH lane no matter what exit she's taking simply because it means she doesn't have to cross back inot her exit. It's infuriating sitting in the passenger seat when she does this because any time i take her up on it, she goes spare because she has "more experiance"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

bet you wouldnt tell that to the family,s who have lost a dad,brother, sister, or the 14 yr old who was knock down while on his push bike,he died few day,s ago r was it yesterday...people dont care anymore. thank god the bike with blue light,s was about .it sounds like he was after him when he went trough red light.

I've read this 10 times and I've come to the conclusion you've posted in the wrong thread it doesn't make any sense.
    Could also be because it looks like you typed it with a foot or something

DeadSkin wrote: »

must check what the roadmarkings say on my way home this evening-- I think the righthand lane has a Straight On Arrow but the inner one might also.

Wish me luck on another adventure on the Galway Roundabout Challange

EDIT -- both have arrows for straight ahead- none for right btw

Caliden wrote: »
    I've read this 10 times and I've come to the conclusion you've posted in the wrong thread it doesn't make any sense.
    wow you read it 10 time,s. and your point is?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

wow you read it 10 time,s. and your point is?:rolleyes:

Did you read his/her post...yours doesn't make sense to him/her

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

my mother admits to using the LH lane no matter what exit she's taking simply because it means she doesn't have to cross back inot her exit. It's infuriating sitting in the passenger seat when she does this because any time i take her up on it, she goes spare because she has "more experiance"

Report her to traffic watch!

I would rather walk than be a passenger in that car. If I see a woman do this with an embarrassed looking passenger I'll beep hello to you!

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    No. its not legal, either by the old "3rd or subsequent exit" rule or the newer "12 o'clock " rule for entering a roundabout in the right hand lane. I've even had people come alongside me in the left hand lane (I was in RH lane going to N6 exit) and drive all the way round to Liosban exit, so I had to brake sharply as they came round in front of me... :rolleyes:
    You're using the Briarhill roundabout correctly, but some folk coming from Parkmore get into the wrong lane by accident and then go straight ahead, can be an easy mistake to make.

Iwas in right hand lane at headford road roundabout to take 3rd exit out N6 last night --lady in left hand lane indicates right as soon as she is on roundabout. i hooted to warn her i was inside her and to make sure she wouldnt cut across me. she proceded to hoot at me and flash her lights once we were on the N6. I assume she was saying thank you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

deccurley wrote: »
    I'm not saying anything against roundabouts in general, just saying that there are a lot of roads off of that one at Briarhill and people are bound to get confused, especially older drivers who might have done their test years back when there wasn't 12,344 roundabouts in Galway.

being an older driver is no excuse. more roundabouts were inevitable with the rapid increase of cars on our roads since the 60s and 70s when only the rich had cars.

it is the duty of all drivers to keep up to date with the rules of the road (i mean, those books are only a couple of quid in easons?)

not enough drivers realise that its the left hand lane for the 1st and 2nd exit, right hand lane for the 3rd. too often you find people in the right hand lane trying to go straight (i.e., second exit) and then a clash can be inevitable when these people try to make the exit at the same time as people who have RIGHTLY approached from the left hand lane.

Advertisement