Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groundbait?????

Options
  • 07-08-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can anyone suggest a groundbait i could buy in my local tackle shop to use with maggots fishing for trout on a river.Never used groundbait before and theres such a large selection i dont know which one to choose, so any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Dunno if i ever heard anyone using ground bait for trout.

Personally if was using maggots id stick with it no need for ground bait if yoru using maggots the little and often approach id use myself instead of abombardment of bait if you were coarse fishing.

t he trout purists here probably think using maggots for trout is blasphemy:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

trout arent bottom feeders so ground bait wouldnt be the best for trout especially on a river, just loose feed chopped worms or maggots sparingly, keeps them interested. if you can get your hands on some minnows they are great when salted.
    The simplest methods usualy work best for river trout i find. as simple as a single size 16 hook with just one BB splitshot about 18 inches from the hook to give the bait a natural movment as it bobs through the swim

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Using maggots for trout leads to a lot of deep hooked and dying undersized fish. That's why they are frowned upon. Nobody wants to see the baby fish dead.

You will not make friends using the coarse angling techniques designed for shoaling fish on game fish like trout which are present in far, far fewer numbers.

I respectfully suggest that it's better to learn how to do fish in a socially acceptable way.

coolwings wrote: »
    Using maggots for trout leads to a lot of deep hooked and dying undersized fish. That's why they are frowned upon. Nobody wants to see the baby fish dead.

You will not make friends using the coarse angling techniques designed for shoaling fish on game fish like trout which are present in far, far fewer numbers.

I respectfully suggest that it's better to learn how to do fish in a socially acceptable way.

Coolwings would you call say fishing with just a worm no prebaiting socially acceptable.
    I grew up fly fishing and have even tied a few flys bad looking green peters and misshaped alexanders but when i was younger it was mostly tinkers who used worms its a lazy type of fishing i think just casting into a pool and waiting for a bite.
    If the op learned to fly fish or even worm fish with a float would be probably better youd cover more ground and being on the move better than sitting on your arse.

Oh yes, worming has always been accepted. The fly only places don't, but it always was perfectly legal everywhere else.
    In fact I would say that freelining a single or double worm upstream is more skillful than dry fly, downstream wet fly, and on a par with upstream nymphing.
    Lettting the float down the pool with a worm is called long trotting, and works well, but the line has to flow out at water speed, or the worm rises up in the water.

It's the particle bait that the little trout bolt right down instantly, and also I suggest the behaviour of the anglers that groundbait, so as to take more than their proper limit, that has caused just about everywhere to make the same rules as time passed.
    "Meat anglers" always gravitated towards use of particle baits and free feeding in game fish waters, probably always will I guess.

The worm is a single bait that they chew and bite and allows a strike for a hookhold in the mouth, so it's totally different.
    I've no problem with bait as such, and where there are good stocks most clubs don't ban it either. But use of small baits does ruin the fishing, by damaging the smaller fish, those little trout are not as hardy or numerous as say little roach, so the future fishing depends on their well being.

You want to try unusual trout baits? Try cheese paste, or white bread dough! In the US sweetcorn (another particle bait) is used frowned upon there for similar reasons, and marshmallow too, which acts like a buoyant paste.
    Dangling a caterpillar vertically sdown out of a tree overhanging a deep stream takes some beating for visual excitement.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    Oh yes, worming has always been accepted. The fly only places don't, but it always was perfectly legal everywhere else.
    In fact I would say that freelining a single or double worm upstream is more skillful than dry fly, downstream wet fly, and on a par with upstream nymphing.
    Lettting the float down the pool with a worm is called long trotting, and works well, but the line has to flow out at water speed, or the worm rises up in the water.

It's the particle bait that the little trout bolt right down instantly, and also I suggest the behaviour of the anglers that groundbait, so as to take more than their proper limit, that has caused just about everywhere to make the same rules as time passed.
    "Meat anglers" always gravitated towards use of particle baits and free feeding in game fish waters, probably always will I guess.

The worm is a single bait that they chew and bite and allows a strike for a hookhold in the mouth, so it's totally different.
    I've no problem with bait as such, and where there are good stocks most clubs don't ban it either. But use of small baits does ruin the fishing, by damaging the smaller fish, those little trout are not as hardy or numerous as say little roach, so the future fishing depends on their well being.

You want to try unusual trout baits? Try cheese paste, or white bread dough! In the US sweetcorn (another particle bait) is used frowned upon there for similar reasons, and marshmallow too, which acts like a buoyant paste.
    Dangling a caterpillar vertically sdown out of a tree overhanging a deep stream takes some beating for visual excitement.

Very good explanation there coolwings is ameat angler someone who just catches and kills everything?
    I myself never fished for trout with maggots myself id usually bring the fly rod and a small spinning reel but i mostly fish small streams.

sickpuppy wrote: »
    ...is a meat angler someone who just catches and kills everything?....

Yes. Far too many of them about imo. :mad:

Advertisement