Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faking it on hols

• 07-08-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Going on a sun holiday and my skin hates the sun!! Normally just get over this and bare the white flesh. Just wondering does anyone do a tan or get a spray one before going on hols? And if so, how does it hold up in the sun/sea? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

it depends what you use. spray tans can go a bit ropey with the sea/pool/sun, and go patchy and flaky. I used st tropez daily moisturiser one and i was fine tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

in general i'd do a st.tropez spray tan - very natural looking for fair skin. Then I'd bring the moisturing gel thing with me on hols for top ups.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I used that Dove self tanner that has spf something in it? Well I didnt really wanna be out of the sun totally cause even though my skin is fair it still can pick up a bit of colour maybe it would be best to not go for something as heavy as St Tropez seeing as you are gunna be in natural sunlight etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks ladies! Im a fan of the Dove gradual tanner so maybe Ill just stick with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Get a spray tan but just top it up with gradual tanner and also exfoliate the dodgy looking bits. My feet and hands are always the first to look funny. It never lasts the full week if you're swimming but it's great to be all brown for the first few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Just back from Spain and my friend had gotten a St Tropez spray tan done before she went over because she never tans. Within a couple of days it had gone all patchy from being in the swimming pool and what not. Cue her being called Michael Jackson (black and white) for the rest of the holiday. It was not a good look.
    I would advise sticking with the Dove gradual tanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

cAr0l wrote: »
    Just back from Spain and my friend had gotten a St Tropez spray tan done before she went over because she never tans. Within a couple of days it had gone all patchy from being in the swimming pool and what not. Cue her being called Michael Jackson (black and white) for the rest of the holiday. It was not a good look.
    I would advise sticking with the Dove gradual tanner.

Oooooohhhhh noooooooooo!!! Poor girl!!! Years ago on a city break to Helsinki I had some lancome bronzer on which was all very nice. I then applied some p20 and gradually, to my friends horror, I turned a shade of canary yellow!!!!!:eek:
    Ever since then Ive been wary of fake tans and sun creams/ chlorine etc.....was just wondering if they had advanced since then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Noticed in an airport recently how all the girls had berilliant tans coming home while their partners were as white as snow. It seemed obvious as a group of 4 girls all had exactly the same tan, same colour etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Sorry. That was a typo. I meant to say 'Brilliant tan' - but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Sorry just gonna add to this thread as I was gonna post a similar thread as need to fake tan before going on a sun holiday soon. Just wondering best way to preserve a fake tan? Is it best to exfoliate and moisterise or to just moisterise to make sure it wears off more evenly. And maybe moisterise with a gradual tanning moisteriser after couple of days there to keep me topped up??Cheers for any advice from serial fake tanners :-D

• Advertisement

mcballer wrote: »
    Sorry just gonna add to this thread as I was gonna post a similar thread as need to fake tan before going on a sun holiday soon. Just wondering best way to preserve a fake tan? Is it best to exfoliate and moisterise or to just moisterise to make sure it wears off more evenly. And maybe moisterise with a gradual tanning moisteriser after couple of days there to keep me topped up??Cheers for any advice from serial fake tanners :-D

Don't go swimming and moisturise each night. When do have a shower, don't go mad with the towel drying either as this rubs the stuff off. Use a gradual tanner too. Exfoliate the bits that need exfoliation, i.e. if it's going very streaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

I'm off on hols this weekend :D. My skin is typical Irish i.e. pale and prone to freckles so I don't tan and have to wear a high spf. Normally I don't bother faking it while on hols but I'm sick of being milky white in the photos.

I'm a fan of gradual tanners but I'm a bit worried about turning patchy or green from the pool:eek: I usually use dove summer glow or Ambre Solaire self tanning spray but I bought Loreal Sublime Bronze self tanning gel for fair skin yesterday. I've done a test on the legs and it seems fine if a little dark for my taste. Does anyone know if its ok to swim when using this? Its supposed to be a gradual tanner but I think one or two applications would be ok for me.

Any thoughts boardsies? I'm going the day after tomorrow and my legs are still milk bottle white:eek:

Any thoughts boardsies? I'm going the day after tomorrow and my legs are still milk bottle white:eek:

They won't make it a different colour but they will make it come off more quickly. Keep it light and you'll be off.

Off to get my spray tan for my holiday in an hour. :D

The problem is the chlorine in the pool - it literally bleaches the tan off you!!!
    I always tan before my hols though, just makes me feel much nicer!

I moisturise as if my life depended on it. Body butter is the way to go, your tan will last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PANADOL

mrsberries wrote: »
    Going on a sun holiday and my skin hates the sun!! Normally just get over this and bare the white flesh. Just wondering does anyone do a tan or get a spray one before going on hols? And if so, how does it hold up in the sun/sea? Thanks

white skin is also beautiful completely dont get this i have to have a tan thing you come from ireland your not meant to have one black people want to be white , white people want to be black , anyway must be a girl thing have a good "white" holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Such a helpful post.

Ive been using the ambre solaire one... going away on sunday, hopefully it will stick around. Bringing it over, plus an exfoliating mitt if everything goes pearshaped

The problem is the chlorine in the pool - it literally bleaches the tan off you!!!

That's my worry - I have visions of myself turning the water orange golden brown:eek:

That's my worry - I have visions of myself turning the water orange golden brown:eek:

Don't worry, that won't happen. It's a gradual thing, it comes off as your skin sheds.

Decided to go with the Loreal sublime bronze - will let you know how it survives the pool:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement