Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance.. what to do?

• 07-08-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

I looking for some advice on the best course of action for my situation. I am looking to buy a GTI but cannot get insured on it until I have 3 years no claims.
    Also my current insurer will not quote me on the GTI so I have to switch companies.

I am driving a Fiesta at the moment and my insurance runs out on 2nd Sep (also will have 3 years no claims then). I'm really busy in Sep so gonna wait a month before I buy the new car

Now I'm wondering should I switch insurance to a new company for the year from 2nd Sep, or should I pay for one month with my current insurer and then switch once I have the new car. In general, do you think it's financially better to just switch now or wait until 2Oct to switch when I should have the new car?

It may just be a matter of calling up both companies and figuring the financials out, but I'm wondering if it's better in general not to switch cars on an existing premium or, pay for a month and then switch?

Had my full license for over a year, 25 years old.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'll move this to Motors, it's probably better suited to that forum. It might also be good to post details of your age, years you've had your licence, and the types of car you have, so people will be able to give you good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timminytimtim

gti is obviously vary difficult to insure. especially with only 3 years bonus. i think xs direct will insure this type of car but they have a high excess. may be a big saving though. if you can live with the xs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I don't see why a 25 Yo with 3 years NCD would be having trouble getting insurance on a GTI. Have you shopped around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I presume its a golf GTi? which version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Try insure.ie You shouldn't have a problem with insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I'm sorry I haven't been clear enough.
    "I am looking to buy a GTI but cannot get insured on it until I have 3 years no claims."

I ALREADY have insurance quotes sorted with either AIB or Tesco. MY question then, should make more sense hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

A couple of things. Your current insurance co will usually issue your no claims cert some between 2-6 weeks before your renewal is due. This will give you an idea of what your renewal on your current car is and is good for between 30-60 days depends on your insurer. If you are intent on your getting a GTI, good for you.

Now of course you want to get some quotes etc. You have a few options available for. Namely ringing around brokers insurance companies and shopping online. You can get quotes by putting in required criteria etc. You want to know what kinda beans you will be paying come Oct 20th for your insurance. Nothing stopping you putting in the requisit requirment age 25, address, 3 years no claims and a start date of Oct 20th. Granted you may not have got your cert yet. Judging by what you have said it is due for renewal Sept 2. So If you have got your cert yet I am guessing it is in the post.

No idea why Oct 20th is "The Date". It doesn't matter too much anyways.
    The question is do you need your current car between now this date in Oct. If you do you could just keep things simple and find what insurer is cheapest on your current car or do some more digging and figure who is offering you good comparable quotes on your current car and what you are looking to upgrade to.

Cancelling your insurance in anycase will incur penalties on a sliding scale base on how far into the policy you are. If you cancel in your first month you will get back in the order of 70% of your premium less an admin fee of possibly about €25. 60% if you cancel anywhere in the 2nd month etc etc.

Only other way around this is the 2 week rule where you can change your mind within 2 weeks and recover your entire premium.
    The least labour intensive way of doing this would be to renew your premium with your current insurer covering you for two weeks before you switch to another insurer and cancel it again using the two week rule. Return the disc etc as required by the insurance co.s and take a new policy out on your Gti motor with whoever gives you the best quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

Cancelling your insurance in anycase will incur penalties on a sliding scale base on how far into the policy you are. If you cancel in your first month you will get back in the order of 70% of your premium less an admin fee of possibly about €25. 60% if you cancel anywhere in the 2nd month etc etc.

This only happens if you are in your first year of insurance with a copany, if you have renewed a policy with them you then go into 'time on risk' rates, which is basically your premium divided by 365 and then multiplied by your days on cover. Not all insurance companies charge an admin fee, but you will need to check with your current insurer to see if they do. The Quinn Direct admin fee is €50.00

If your current insurer is cheaper for your Fiesta then renew with them, confirm that you will be on time on risk scale and what their admin fee is, then when you do get your GTI, cancel with them and set up the policy with the new insurers. Or else get your fiesta insured with the company that will quote you on the GTI and do a sub onto the new car when you get it. There's no starightforward way of doing it, it all depends on insurer rates, fee's etc. Your gonna have to sit down and work out the cheapest rate.

Advertisement