Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensible World Of Soccer on the Amiga500 was the best soccer game ever

Options
  • 07-08-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I think that Sensible World of Soccer was and still is the best soccer game ever! Although it has been hugely surpassed in terms of graphics and technology now, I still think that it is an amazing game which should be given it's place in the highest regard alongside current classics of Pro Evo.

Just to think of it, a game which had nearly every single club team in the world accounted for. Each individual player for those clubs rated and given individual values and abilities! AND, each of those players' value would rise or fall depending on how good you were playing them! You could play Galway United versus Real Madrid and have all of the real players for both teams playing! I thought it was, and still do think it was an incredible feat.

There were areas for improvement, which all games are going to have, especially when you consider when it was made in the 1990s when the gaming arena was only beginning to open out into the areas that we now accept as the norm.

So, three cheers for the SWOS, Hip hip.......Hip hip.......Hip hip.........

If anyone has any opinions on SWOS, shout me out, or if anyone has any players they used to think were fantastic, let me know. I loved cheap players whose skill level was high and whose value would rise, rather than expensive players whose value would decline.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I agree with you,although I had it for the sega,Loved that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

SWOS is the only soccer game I ever enjoyed playing. It was quick, simple straightforward fun. Also the little men all had big heads. I found that terribly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Wasn't too sure where to move this one... Game awards wasn't the place for it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Don't move it anywhere... It's retro! :P

I agree definately that Sensible Soccer is the best football game ever. I only had it on the Mega Drive too though, and it was the original Sensible Soccer. FIFA could never surpass it. The gameplay in sensible soccer was miles ahead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Sensible World Of Soccer on the Amiga500 was the best soccer game ever

FACT!

It's a fantastic game. Like most of the stuff to come from from sensible Software :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

it was brilliant.

my buddy had an update disk that he got from an amiga magazine that updated all the squads, and i hated it as it removed eric cantona and put andy cole into the man united team :(

still though, lots of happy memories playing that game

• Registered Users Posts: 46 manwith3butocks

I've been trying to remember my team I used to kind of settle on in most of the games. The game play was absolutely incredible, no other game has come close to it. I love Pro Evo Soccer on the PS2 and have always hated FIFA, but something about Sensible Soccer just seems magical still!!

Goal: Pagliuca
    RB Jeff Kenna
    Def Onopko
    LB Bjornebe
    Mid John Scales
    Mid McAteer
    Mid Michael Thomas
    LW Van Der Heyden 1.1mil signing who had the best ball control on the left wing
    RW McManaman
    FW Alan Shearer Shoot from anywhere
    FW Ronaldo the real Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

great game,there was nothing like or close to it at the time,i still have the original sensi soccer international edition version for the CD32 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Not only did it have all the correct players, the little men with the big heads had, for the most part, the correct hair colour too!!!

I hated most football games, but SWOS was... and still is... so much fun to play. Either as an arcade game or as one of the most excellent management games ever made.

I remember running from the halfway line and taking a shot directly in-line with the goal post, and at the last second holding the joystick to the right/left to curl the ball round the keeper. Unstoppable!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

this was the best footie game -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

loved sensi, and kick off 2 (when you had frank zappa as the ref you always got a bloodbath)

was it sensi where if you picked the england 66 team and went up against the german 66 team, everything went to black and white?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 manwith3butocks

I don't know about the England Germany thing, you could very well be right, but I can't say. I spent most of my time playing the management game. Kick Off 2 was where it all started for me too.

The ultimate little finishing touch they had in SWOS was Baggios ponytail! So class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just played Sensible Soccer on the CD32 - isn't as good as I remember it.

I'm having loads more fun playing FIFA09 on the PS3 in 8 player mode :) so I wouldn't call it the best soccer game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

better than football champ? hmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

What a trip down memory lane!! I love SWOS especially the managerment part. It was juat all about fun. Games nowadays are too serious. Is it really coming out again? Be great for PSP or Nintendo DS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OP, you're wrong.

Cannon Fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

po0k wrote: »
    OP, you're wrong.

Cannon Fodder.

Cannon Fodder was the lads from SWOS with guns :D

Advertisement