Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Goldie on BBC2

Options
  • 08-08-2009 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

Did anyone catch this?

I enjoyed the programme aired during last years Proms, 'Maestro'. Felt it could have gone more in dept into the art of conducting, but interesting nonetheless!

This one put the DJ Goldie in the position of composing a 7 minute piece for orchestra and choir for this year's Proms.

Again, I enjoyed this, and to be honest I felt it was down to Goldie's overall enthusiasm and energy. For what it was (an amateur's first composition), it was terrific. Full of energy and a clearly laid out structure.

What interested me most was the process he went through. Modern technology and modern tastes have opened the gates for less educated musicians to compose (he couldn't read or write music and can't play an instrument), the results of which can, in my opinion, be very surprising and fresh. I'm sure it can lead to complete cheese as well, but good with teh bad etc.

Thoughts, opinions? :) I'll put a youtube link up if/when one comes available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Missed this :( But I look forward to your link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

I'm sorry to say the piece did nothing for me at all, I'm don't enjoy or understand a lot of modern classical music.

However the program itself was kind of interesting, and I would like to see more like this on the process of composing, with more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

How to compose.....
    Get Sibelius 5/6, buy The Study of Orchestration by Samuel Adler,
    buy a Keyboard with lots of different orchestral samples, oh and buy a portable recorder for sampling.
    Get hold of/study as many scores as you can, listen to music you love,
    but try to have as many stylistic influences(that you like) as you can so your style becomes more individualistic.

Make loads of cool musician friends willing to play your stuff(so try make it good) and befriend a few conductors and good orchestras.

Be nice to your performers but be fair, if it doesn't sound like how you
    imagined it, address the situation score first and then question their playing and or expression.
    Get access to and become familiar with a music production computer
    program (e.g. Logic Pro or Protools) also become as familiar with modern music production as you can.

If all that fails you can always become a solo recitalist, more monies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Rather an unorthodox route there Norrdeth.

More usual route is :
    - be born a musical genius
    - spend at least 15 years doing nothing but spending every waking hour studying the old masters
    - not sure how you find the time, but during the same period you must also become a world class virtuoso in at least two instruments and professionally proficient in 4 others
    - develop psycholigcal demons and permanent mental scars, which affect every subsequent waking moment (typical examples: 'parental acceptance/rejection love/hate', 'the world doesnt appreciate my genius', 'rage against the establishment', 'great love lost'
    - mix, the above for a year or two, then sit down at a blank sheet
    - the music will pour forth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Still no joy, I really should have recorded it. Does BBC iplayer work in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Nope =(
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lydf1/Classic_Goldie_Episode_1/

Actually the How to be a Composer Program on before was quite interesting.

Proms Yesterday
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lxv9s/BBC_Proms_2009_Prom_30_Respighi_Grime_Stravinsky_Knussen_Balakirev_Part_1/

Listening to the Grime piece called Virga at the moment
    (starts about 22'40'' in)
    Very Ádes like I thought, still, cool concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Woohoo!

Wow, he really was incredibly lucky to get this opportunity.

So good it's getting posted twice!!

It's like the finale of Mahler 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-_VTEc5QgM
    mixed with Adams' Harmoniere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiv0jJl9zU
    and Ádes' Asyla! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyoSznLJNg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Wow, I didn't expect it to be that... good! I loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

Is there a list available of the classical / choral pieces that were used in the two 'Classic Goldie' episodes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement