Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Build

Options
  • 08-08-2009 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Who's had a rifle built for them? Who did it and what did you get built, and what purpose is it for? I'm up late and trawling the internet out of boredom, and the thought has occurred to me recently to price up a custom built target rifle, so I'm thinking I can probably get something made up to do exactly what I want and everything I want in terms of a fullbore target rifle in one go, which would be rather handy. So who else would be interested in custom stuff, or customising an existing rifle? Who would you get to do it, what would it be made of? I figure, with the doom and gloom of recent times, a pipedream thread might do a bit of good to alleviate it. :)

For my own rifle, I was thinking of a switch-barrel system. Need to figure out whether a threaded or clamped barrel/action joint is more suited for that, but that's where a decent gunsmith comes in.

My initial specs (just from toying around with the idea - very much open to change at a whim) are as follows:

30" Stainless Krieger Barrel in .308 Win 1:13"
    30" Stainless Krieger Barrel in 6mmBR Norma 1:8"
    Jewel Trigger with interchangeable springs for weight (B and A)
    Barnard Model P left-handed with an Anschutz standard dovetail cut
    Centra Long Range rearsight or RPA Trakker rearsight and Centra M22 adjustable foresight or RPA Trakker ladder foresight
    Mastin RA or Masterclass Highpower Prone stock, altered to take System Gemini buttplate (Just for now, may decide on an aluminium stock at a later date, but just for kicks' sake)
    Mirage bands for the barrels
    Suitable mounts for a scope

With that rifle, I could shoot ISSF 300m prone, 300m 3x40 (with a more useful stock - we shall see) and if I changed the stock, 300m Standard Rifle. I could also shoot imperial target rifle, Palma, F-Class and F/TR, and not be at a disadvantage for any of them. Since I'd be up for shooting all of those, one gun, two barrels and a couple of stocks sounds like a decent deal! So what would you guys do and what would the rifle be for?

Advertisement